• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors suppressed point of impact

wowak1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2009
PA
Will a suppressor increase, decrease, or have no effect on accuracy of a rifle. Lets say a .308 bolt action.

Re: suppressed point of impact

suppressor will change poi some, depends of the brand. i got a tigershark and it change poi 1" low easy to fix. i heard some guys here there suppressors change more than that and few that said none at all.

It can effect the accuracy on the unsuppressed load. You'll be hanging a big amount of additional weight on the end of the barrel which will change the harmonics. You'll need to tailor your load to bring it back in line.

This effect will change from rifle to rifle and can to can. When running my 7.62 SD, the poi shift is 1" low. Windage does not change. I had to take 0.4gr of powder out to get back to the sweet spot with the can.

It is going to depend upon the length and profile of your barrel.

The accuracy often improves, the Point of Aim shifts. Who cares I never shoot without the silencer.

My Howa 308 with 26" barrel drops about 6" vertical with a YHM Phantom QD. A shorter barrel should be less, a stiffer profile should be less.

"It depends". The rifle, the exact interface between the suppressor and the barrel or the mount, the mass of the suppressor all play parts. AAC went after that problem with their MITRE mount. It's expensive and can leak a bit of gas, but you can tune the position of the suppressor to minimize. Regardless, you have to just shoot and measure to determine the POI shift with your specific suppressor, rifle, and ammunition combination and then compensate appropriately.

b

Some yes, some more than others, some next to nothing. Each one varies. Same weapon, same ammo, 3 different cans, 3 different outcomes.
HTH

ok so there are a ton of variables, but am i correct to say that once i zero the rifle with the suppressor on it the gun will hold that zero consistently, and i will still have tight groups? i'm assuming the suppress simply just changes the point of impact not the consistency of the shots

Something along these lines, Elite Iron just sent me a TD for one of my customers 416, they told me to thread it on, center punch the top of device, send it back, and they will machine the suppressor so the round will have minimal POI L or R, should only be up or down, hope it works.

I have a few suppressors and they "all" change the POI on and off...not by much, but a change none the less...There is one acception...my FA UZI with the Vector Can.

Howie..is that only when wearing wifes lucky underwear
smile.gif

I built a can on a Form 1 and tested the POI shift on my AR. I got a shift of about 2" to the right and .5" high @ 100 yd. The group tightened up considerably.

Locked and loaded..

I see you are advertising your business via your signature, but your username isnt orange designating you as a site sponsor.

Advertising your company without sponsoring the site isnt fair to all the people that ponied up the money. IMHO, you might want to talk to Lowlight, or remove the advertisement..