• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressed Subsonic .22 Centerfire

Bloody_Tailgate

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
I live in South Dakota where suppressors and thermals are legal for varmint/predator hunting at night (mainly looking at coyotes). The laws state if a thermal is used, you can use rimfire, shotgun or centerfire equal to or smaller than .224 diameter. A couple friends and I started talking about this and we'd like to use bolt guns and since we shoot matches, we all have available .473 bolt face short actions for builds. Our goal would be to shoot subsonic to remain as quiet as possible and shoot heavy for caliber bullets for as much retained energy as possible. One of the guys also has a 22br reamer which could potentially be the perfect starting point for a build.

Our thoughts:

16" 7 twist barrels
80+ gr bullets

Questions
- Since all shots on coyotes will be under 200yds, what .224 bullet above 80gr would you suggest to get expansion at subsonic velocities?
- Can you think of another .473 bolt face cartridge that would be better than the 22br?
- Have any of you done this and have experience to share?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I wouldnt use the real heavies because they are target bullets and wont expand worth a damn.
Id find a little lighter but blunter bullet, maybe something like the nosler 62 varmageddon or from sierra the 63 varminter or 65 gameking.
Id probably go faster than a 7 twist if youre going real slow and want to stabilize longer heavy bullets.
I imagine if you use trail boss for the powder any larger case will work alright because it is such a voluminous powder.

Calling our resident subsonic guru. He will probably tell you to cast your own but he knows his shit. @Gunfighter14e2

Subsonic sucks to hunt with though if supersonic is on the table.

Reactions: Supersubes
I wouldnt use the real heavies because they are target bullets and wont expand worth a damn.
Id find a little lighter but blunter bullet, maybe something like the nosler 62 varmageddon or from sierra the 63 varminter or 65 gameking.
Id probably go faster than a 7 twist if youre going real slow and want to stabilize longer heavy bullets.
I imagine if you use trail boss for the powder any larger case will work alright because it is such a voluminous powder.

Calling our resident subsonic guru. He will probably tell you to cast your own but he knows his shit. @Gunfighter14e2
I hadn't thought of casting, never done it, mainly because I never had a reason. Maybe this is the reason to get started!

You might look into cfeblk for a powder.

Works great in 300 b o.

Thanks again for that load @spife7980

I've never looked for a heavy .22 mould before today, but there's a 100gr one from NOE out of Utah meant for powdercoating:

Berger's calculator says it'll be stable in a 1:8" at sea level to well below freezing. Even using a dead-soft lead alloy I doubt you'll get any expansion without a hollowpoint though. Forster might have the kit to do that.

Bluedot, is generally not considered a position sensitive powder that might suit your needs too.

I know if you put it in a coyote's ear just about anything will kill them, but 100gr at 1075fps only generates 257ftlbs energy. At 200 yards that's down to 210ftlb which is pretty anemic depending on your hunting ethics.

Last edited:
Use caution with cast lead bullets thru a suppressor if the can can’t be disassembled for cleaning.
Theres always “The Dip” but disposal of the resulting lead acetate solution might be problematic...

Reactions: Snuby642