• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressing .22 Mag

MaMllc

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2012
Will a can for a .22lr work on .22 Mag or should I use one made for .223?

Re: Suppressing .22 Mag

many cans are rated for 22lr, 22 mag, 17 HMR and some even 5.7x28. A few good ones that come to mind are... Silencerco Sparrow, AAC Element II, Liberty Kodiak TL and SWR Spectre II. There are others you'll just have to check the manufactures spec.

Oh and yes I would get a dedicated rimfire can that's rated to 22 mag rather than shooting 22 mags through a 5.56 can.

i agree on the rimfire can. i own the SS Sparrow, it is one of the easiest to maintain and clean. at around $450 or better, you save in the long run doing dedicated rimfire, center fire rifle, and hangun.

I own 2 ,22lr. cans,Gemtech Outback 2 and Sparrow Gen. 2. Although both claim to be 22 mag capable I have found them both to be lacking in overall satisfaction on the mag platform. I have an AWC Stalker that is made for the 22 mag and it is wicked! It is quieter on the magnum than the previous 2 mentioned cans on 22 lr. units. If you are primarily running a 22 magnum give the Stalker a look. It is basically a Thundertrap for 22 mags. They will also run 5.7 FN,22lr ,17 HMR and 221 fireball.

SWR Spectre is a badass little suppressor! It will even take the pressures from 223.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWR Spectre is a badass little suppressor! It will even take the pressures from 223. </div></div>

I agree as it is made of 100% badass, but never had mine on anything of the likes of 223.

The Spectre is easy to take apart and clean. Twenty twos are dirty little critters so make sure you can take it apart to clean. I almost bought the Sparrow because of the ease of taking it apart however at the time they still had aluminum baffles, which would probably last me a life time anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SABuzzard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">many cans are rated for 22lr, 22 mag, 17 HMR and some even 5.7x28. A few good ones that come to mind are... Silencerco Sparrow, AAC Element II, Liberty Kodiak TL and SWR Spectre II. There are others you'll just have to check the manufactures spec.

Oh and yes I would get a dedicated rimfire can that's rated to 22 mag rather than shooting 22 mags through a 5.56 can.</div></div>

SABuuzzard is right. Don't shoot a rimfire through a 5.56 can. Centerfire cans do not come apart to clean and you will fill it with lead since most 22 rimfire ammo is not jacketed.

+1 on the Sparrow. Awesome can and it will handle .22, 22 Mag, FN 5.7, 17HMR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22 mag is jacketed,,not a copper wash </div></div>
Yeah what he said

How effective is suppressing a .22MAG? I have never heard of subsonic .22MAG rounds but maybe I missed something. Just seems like suppressing a .22MAG would result in very little suppression. That is if you are putting it on a rifle. If its for a pistol it may work just fine.

Just sayin'...

i shoot the 17hmr through my spectre and it does a really good job suppressing it, but being supersonic you still get the crack. its quiet enough that you can hear the bullet smack the groundhog... makes you feel all warm n fuzzy inside.