• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressing a 9, .40, or .45?

Roadwild17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Central East Texas
Hey guys Im planing on buying a full size and a compact gun of the same type (Like a 3" and 5" XD just for example) in the next few months and then I want to suppress the full size.

My question is, what round is quitter through a can?

I know the speed of sound is ballparked to be about 1100 FPS, most 230gr .45 ammo is leaving the tube at 900 fps and slower.

The .40 Im not sure, but I think can be loaded super and sub sonic.

The 9mm is the same as the .40 with the 115 gr being more super sonic and 147 gr stuff being a bit below sub sonic, I think.

Re: Suppressing a 9, .40, or .45?

9mm is easiest because it's a smaller hole going through the suppressor. 45 is very hard to surpress even though it's usually moving at around 750-850 fps.

There are only a few 40 cans out there on the mkt.

There are a ton of 9mm cans out there.

We shot at a site with a bunch of suppressors.. We were shooting with many different weapons and many different suppresors.. H&K USP tacticals in 45ACP, MP-5's,AR's with various cans... I don't think we had any 40 cals but there were many weapons there... The 45 acp was as quite as any of them there and when we added water to the wet/dry can it was just about like dry firing your pistol with no ammo and all you heard was a quite wissssssp...I don't know if a neighbor next door to your house in a subdivision would hear it.. The feet per second seemed to matter but the quality size of the suppresor also was very important.. The slower the bullet matched with a great suppresor worked wonders...... There are more experienced can shooters than me...Just giving my observation...SmokeRolls

9mm would be the easiest and has the most choices for suppressors that are hearing safe.

40S&W I have only heard one and it was loud.

45ACP, with the new can introduced within the last year, they are getting up there in suppression of a 9mm. There are 2 that are hearing safe (below 140db), the AAC TiRant and the Silencerco Osprey. Having shot both on different occasions, I couldn't really tell which one was quieter. I think they say the TiRant is but I really like the essentric design of the Silencerco since I won't have to buy new sights to run it.

Here is the little shoot we did a couple of months back testing out the Silencerco vs AAC EVO45 and a SWR Trident 9mm can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JhZHIfXrX4

I have been pleased with my SWR Trident-9, GS-40 and HEMS-2 suppressors in 9x19mm, .40S&W and .45ACP calibers, respectively. I've also had a .22lr SWR Warlock for several years now, but I've never fired it, so it's still NIB.

Ordering a Silencerco Osprey 45 tomorrow. Real good SHOT show pricing at a few dealers right now

Hmmm...

.45acp suppression since 1983. Subsonic to a quiet thud since 1992. Built under multiple US Army contract for the Glock 30, and current contract on the Sig P220 Combat & HK USP Tactical Pistol.

http://www.awcsystech.com/products/suppressors/nexus-iii-45/

.9mm, with artificial environment as quiet as it gets. Without (dry) as quiet as any. One second, "switch off" allows for single shot without mechanical slide lock.

http://www.awcsystech.com/products/suppressors/jupiter-eye/

FINALAWCWALTHERDESKTOPSS.jpg

Or you can buy a show special....