• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor diameter

puddleglum

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2023
WI
Hi all,

Is a larger bore suppressor going to be louder than a smaller bore one, assuming other factors are roughly the same?

For instance: three rifles chambered in 6.5-06, 338-06, and 375-06 - same barrel lengths, loaded to roughly the same bore pressures and roughly the same amount of powder burning. The 6.5-06 using a 6.5 can, the 338-06 using a .338 can, and the 375-06 using a .375 - all three suppressors the same size, baffle configuration, etc. - all three moving supersonic.

Would the 375 be louder than the other two?

Would first round pop be more noticeable with the larger bore?

Thanks,
-pg

Yes..

However, in your example the pressures -- the uncorking pressures-- are not the same since the case capacity to bore size ratio is decreasing (ie, the list is decreasingly overbore).

I've decided that the flexibility of a multi-caliber suppressor, is more important to me than the decibel or two savings of a suppressor bought for a single caliber. A good example is my SiCo Chimera 300 that I use for 223, 300-BLK, 6.5-CM, ect. I've dedicated my Hybrid-36 to my Barrett MRAD and barrels of 300-PRC, 300-NM, and 338-LM. Bottom line ... flexibility and multi-caliber use is more important to me than any slight suppression value of a dedicated can-size. But that's just me ... YMMV.

Reactions: mewillis and ping
^^^this^^^

I run a 30 cal dead air nomad L with EBrake on my 6.5cm and my 6cm and my 223. and I’m ecstatic.

The versatility vs the low probability risk (but high cost…) of putting the wrong can on the wrong rifle vs a slight change in dB is no contest for me.

I’m guessing even the suppressor company guys would agree off the record.

Reactions: ping
All those numbers over .30 sound scary.

I run 30 cal and smaller rounds through my 30cal can on a regular basis, like everyone else does. Works great, no issues. I shot a match once when an RO approached me and asked if I was shooting subsonics in my 243 because it was so quiet.

Reactions: Newbie2020
I am building a suppressed hunting rifle and am trying to decide between 338 Federal and 358 Winchester. I am looking at the AB Raptor cans, and obviously would use a 338 can on a 338 Fed and a 375 can on a 358 Win.

Trying to get an idea if there will be a noticeable difference in sound between these options.

I especially am interested in how first round pop would be affected by diameter of the supressor, as hunting is the application, so how the followup shots sounds will not be nearly as important.

Thanks
-pg

Related, if not an exact answer to your question OP.