• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor for 300NM, 6.5CM, and 5.56

Yerman

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Hey guys, wondering if you could help me decide on my first suppressor.

First and foremost, it will spend most of its time on a 300NM, so it’s gotta be able to handle its pressure which from what I can tell, will limit my options a bit.

It’s also going to be pulling extra duty in a 6.5 CM and I’d like it to work with my ARs in 5.56 as well.

Here is what I’ve been looking at:
Nomad 30
TBAC Ultra 7
TBAC Magnus
Omega 36M

Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.

UPDATE: See post #20

Last edited:
Just get a dedicated 556 can, you will eventually get one. But my pick would be the Magnus.

Look at the Nomad LT instead of the Nomad. The Nomad sounds really good up to 300 WM, the extra length will provide better sound suppression. The Magnus would be better than the Ultra 7 but you'll have to wait for them to be manufactured. The Omega 36M just isn't in the same category.

Reactions: FuhQ
Q Thunder chicken or Trash Panda

I would say thunder chicken since spending more time on the NM.

I have a TP and it pretty much replaced every rifle can I already owned

First and foremost, it will spend most of its time on a 300NM, so it’s gotta be able to handle its pressure which from what I can tell, will limit my options a bit.

It’s also going to be pulling extra duty in a 6.5 CM and I’d like it to work with my ARs in 5.56 as well.

Nomad 30
TBAC Ultra 7
TBAC Magnus
Omega 36M

Nomad-L will be your best bet. Maximum sound suppression and one of the quietest cans on the market.

Or the new Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L 30 caliber.

Look at the Nomad LT instead of the Nomad. The Nomad sounds really good up to 300 WM, the extra length will provide better sound suppression. The Magnus would be better than the Ultra 7 but you'll have to wait for them to be manufactured. The Omega 36M just isn't in the same category.
I love my Nomad-LT, but since he was talking about running it on an AR I mentioned the regular Nomad-L for him... But if he knows not to run a Titanium can over 800º and don't run it on SBR's or pistols, then he'll be alright with the Nomad-LT.

Dominus - size, weight, durability, checks all the boxes, along with being a TB.
If I were starting all over again, knowing what I know now, I’d start there. It will save you time and money. It is a solid choice if you are going to scratch the itch.

Reactions: tenringx
I use a SilencerCo Chimera-300 on all those calibers (and more). I have two of them ... they're my favorite suppressors of the seven I own. And SilencerCo's "No Questions Asked" customer service and warranty are outstanding. I once mounted my Chimera incorrectly, shot it off my 300-WM, and tore up the inside baffles. They took it back, rebuilt it to new condition, shipped it back in less than a week, and didn't charge me a cent. I admit to being a SC Fan-Boy.

Reactions: Andrew863 and TACC
Dominus - size, weight, durability, checks all the boxes, along with being a TB.
If I were starting all over again, knowing what I know now, I’d start there. It will save you time and money. It is a solid choice if you are going to scratch the itch.
This. Dominus by a mile. So light, quiet, and just overall great can.

Reactions: 260284

Nomad 30
TBAC Ultra 7
TBAC Magnus
Omega 36M

The Magnus is quite a bit larger than your other options. You should decide on a length. The Magnus probably won't be great on an AR unless it was purpose built as a suppressor host with very short dwell length and adjustable gas or custom gas port.

I would recommend the CGS Helios QD Ti.

"The HELIOS QD Ti utilizes a full DMLS Grade V Titanium construction for maximum strength, light weight and extreme durability.

The HELIOS QD Ti system was designed to be extremely versatile. The generous .36 bore significantly reduces back pressure and muzzle flash while also allowing the suppressor to be used with multiple calibers. The HELIOS QD Ti comes with a 1/2×28 threaded rear cap, a 5/8×24 threaded rear cap, and an adapter ring threaded in 1.375×24 to accept a plethora of industry QD mounting solutions. The interchangeable rear caps are complimented with interchangeable front caps as well. A sealed front cap is provided for the maximum sound reduction possible. A ported front cap is included to ensure blowback mitigation for left hand shooters or for use with calibers or weapon systems that may be prone to over-gassing. All tertiary components of the HELIOS QD Ti Kit are also manufactured from Grade V Titanium.

The HELIOS QD Ti is full auto rated with a 10″ minimum barrel length restriction for 5.56mm and will handle larger calibers up to and including 300 Norma Magnum. The HELIOS QD Ti, just like all CGS Suppressors, has a lifetime warranty. It has been coated on the exterior with PVD Black DLC and the internal surfaces have been coated with SX Line or Hexagonal Boron Nitride."

LENGTH ADDED TO BARE MUZZLE
6.5"

WEIGHT
11.5 ounces in 1/2x28 direct thread configuration
Helios QD Ti core 9.0 oz with no accessories

DIAMETER
1.75"

Z2SrVtS.jpg

jOWK8H8.jpg

tejD57r.jpg

https://pewscience.com/rankings
fSoYvCt.jpg

Last edited:
You need to define what objectives you want out of the suppressor.

What do you value most?

- noise suppression?
- back pressure? (Which could present an issue in ar15's)
- how are you mounting the can to each system?
- what kind of recoil impulse do you want?
- what are you willing to spend?
- is weight a consideration?
- what about length? Is this a consideration?

Lots of different avenues you can go.

My DeadAir Sandman cans have been phenomenal. Equally as good as my direct thread TB 30P1 in regards to POA/POI with can off vs on. With the benefit of quick attach. I rarely take my Thunderbeast out any more. Running them on anything from 6.5x47 up to 300wm

They also have minimal blow back on my AR15s, MK18s, and SP10

The Nomad L on my .300 Norma is outstanding!
I was shocked at how quiet it is, shooting with no earpro is no problem.

Reactions: FuhQ
The Nomad L on my .300 Norma is outstanding!
I was shocked at how quiet it is, shooting with no earpro is no problem.
Yep! Love my Nomad-LT (same exact can, just solid titanium). It's ridiculously quiet, and definitely fine without ear pro on everything I've tested it on.

Ok, revisiting this. Thanks for all your help guys.

Per @kthomas, I think I need to redefine a few things give some additional information.

First off, I think for the time being we can omit the 5.56 from the discussion and focus on a single can that will be strictly for my 6.5CM and 300NM

Here is what is most important for me:
  1. Precision - I don’t care about POI shift but I absolutely need to maintain precision. I’m not schooled enough on suppressors to know if there are some cans that do this better than others.
  2. Recoil - I’m assuming a brake will do better at this than a can but I still want there to be as much recoil reduction as possible. I’m trying to tame my 300NM a little bit as it’s not build as heavy as it should have been. Surprisingly, my 300NM with an Area 419 Sidewinder brake has more kick than my 375CT with a Terminator brake. (Side note on this one - I've seen some suppressors like the TBACs that thread onto a brake. Does this type of setup increase braking?)
  3. Sound suppression

To round out some of the other questions:
  • My 6.5 has a 26” barrel and my 300NM has a 28” barrel. I think a 6” - 7” can would be appropriate without being too big
  • Weight is not an issue as I only shoot prone, so long as it doesn’t mess up harmonics to bad and I’m able to maintain or increase a high level of precision.
  • My 6.5CM is 5/8-24 and my 300NM is 3/4-24. As mentioned above my 300NM already has an Area 419 Sidewinder on it so it has one of their universal adaptors already installed on it. I’m thinking it would be nice to use their adaptors for quick threading on between the two rifles, but I’m not locked into this method. If there is a better system for mounting, I’m all ears.
  • Price is not a huge factor
I think that about covers it. Thanks again for your help.

We have some data coming soon (a Ray/Kurtis video) about effect of can size on port pop. It might surprise you -- it surprised me in some ways. We'll have more coming on the interaction between suppression and gas guns. Bottom line summary, the port pop happens very quickly in comparison to the sound duration coming from the muzzle report (suppressed), so a quieter can at the muzzle will still get you less sound impulse (area under the curve). Stay tuned for that video for the waveforms.

In any case, with 300NM in your list, and just considering our cans, I would really push towards the Magnus or 338 Ultra G2. These cans suppress 300NM so well, it make shooting 300NM a pussycat. These two are also a lot stronger than the Dominus if judging based on the barrel length requirements on big magnums, so you could run a shorter magnum barrel if you wanted to.

Per @kthomas, I think I need to redefine a few things give some additional information.

First off, I think for the time being we can omit the 5.56 from the discussion and focus on a single can that will be strictly for my 6.5CM and 300NM

1. Precision - I don’t care about POI shift but I absolutely need to maintain precision. I’m not schooled enough on suppressors to know if there are some cans that do this better than others.
  2. Recoil - I’m assuming a brake will do better at this than a can but I still want there to be as much recoil reduction as possible. I’m trying to tame my 300NM a little bit as it’s not build as heavy as it should have been. Surprisingly, my 300NM with an Area 419 Sidewinder brake has more kick than my 375CT with a Terminator brake. (Side note on this one - I've seen some suppressors like the TBACs that thread onto a brake. Does this type of setup increase braking?)
  3. Sound suppression

• My 6.5 has a 26” barrel and my 300NM has a 28” barrel. I think a 6” - 7” can would be appropriate without being too big
  • Weight is not an issue as I only shoot prone, so long as it doesn’t mess up harmonics to bad and I’m able to maintain or increase a high level of precision.
  • My 6.5CM is 5/8-24 and my 300NM is 3/4-24. As mentioned above my 300NM already has an Area 419 Sidewinder on it so it has one of their universal adaptors already installed on it. I’m thinking it would be nice to use their adaptors for quick threading on between the two rifles, but I’m not locked into this method. If there is a better system for mounting, I’m all ears.
My recommendation is still the same based on this criteria. Dead Air Nomad series... And being that you are including a .300NM, and want maximum DB reduction, I would opt for the slightly longer (8.5") Nomad-L or Nomad-LT for the extra sound suppression. My Nomad-LT sounds REALLY good on everything I've shot it on...From 5.56 up to .308 Win (none of my magnums are threaded yet).

Also, with .300NM on your list, I would use a brake style muzzle device, it will help alleviate some of the blast baffle erosion with the big magnum cartridges.

3. Sound suppression

Thanks for all the added details.

I don't think there's any secret to precision with suppressors, it comes down to quality manufacturing and mounting to the barrel. Most suppressors are good at this these days.

Some suppressors are starting to incorporate designs that help mitigate recoil. Area419 has their Maverick (designed for PRS), KGM has suppressors with tunable ports at the end of the suppressor, Abel Co. Biscuit is designed in a way that the recoil impulse is really nice, etc. I personally don't have any experience with the above, and how they compare with "regular" suppressors. I do have an Abel Co. Biscuit in ATF jail, which at some point in time I'll be able to compare to a SiCo Omega on the same rifle for an anecdotal comparison.

With sound suppression, you'll want a can that has volume to deal with the .300NM. If it was me, this is what I would be looking at, to cover your objectives:

- TBAC Magnus (9")
- TBAC Ultra .338 (10-11")
- Dead Air Nomad LT (~8.5")
- KGM R30 (7.3" - more in line with your goals for length)
- KGM R30 XL (~8.9")
- KGM R30K (5.8") - Not sure how well it will suppress .300NM with its smaller volume, but more inline with your length desires
- SiCo Omega 36M (4.90"-6.85"), though at 1.57" OD, I'm not sure how well it will suppress .300NM

I got an Abel Co. Biscuit to do 5.56 to .300NM, though my priorities were suppressing 5.56 and 6BRA/6.5 Creedmoor over the .300NM. The .300NM with its ~85 grains of powder is going to be a lot more demanding of a suppressor than other cartridges. Going with a shorter can, you will be sacrificing sound suppression, especially in larger volume cartridges.

It's all a tradeoff. And with sound suppression, there's really no replacement for volume (though quality baffle design helps to an extent). Shorter cans will be more "maneuverable", but with less suppression. If you do go with a shorter can, go with one that has a larger OD (like ~1.75-1.85" OD over traditional ~1.5"). If you are shooting mostly prone, that extra length may not matter anyways.

Ok, I seem to be leaning towards the Magnus and Nomad L.

Anyone have any feedback on the two cans availing to mitigate recoil? I’d probably use either companies brake/QD option for quick swapping.

Does the addition of a brake being inside the can provide more recoil mitigation than direct thread?

Ok, I seem to be leaning towards the Magnus and Nomad L.

Anyone have any feedback on the two cans availing to mitigate recoil? I’d probably use either companies brake/QD option for quick swapping.

Does the addition of a brake being inside the can provide more recoil mitigation than direct thread?
Yes, the brake inside the can still helps divert gasses, just like as if the can wasn't on the gun. So it does help to slightly mitigate more recoil than unbraked setups. How much? 🤷🏼 Probably not really noticeable to the average person, but I've also never tried both setups on the same gun...So, I don't know. However, as far as function of helping to reduce blast baffle erosion on the bigger cartridges, then yes, the brakes have been proven to make a big difference in wear.

My Nomad-LT on my .260 Rem (braked) feels about like an un-braked bolt-action 6.5 Grendel...Basically no recoil. And my POI shift is non-existent when removing and reinstalling the suppressor using the KeyMo setups. Each time I put the can on the end and shoot, it's always at the same zero. I also really love the fact that there's no threads, and a huge taper before the locking lugs on the Dead Air mount, to prevent carbon-lock. If it gets a bit warm and expands, just take a pair of soft-jaw channel locks or aluminum adjustable AN wrench (that will open to around 1.6") and just pop the collar on the KeyMo and it will loosen up. The mount itself is only made of 3 parts, and you can service it yourself in about 30 seconds with zero tools.

Can't attest to the other can, as it hasn't been released yet. LOL

Last edited:
300 Norma on gun like an AXSR, recoil with a big can like the 338 or Magnus is a pussycat. Hits easily spottable, can shoot all day. 338LM has noticeably more recoil in my opinion.
Ok, I’m thinking Magnus.

1. I’m assuming I can expect great performance on my 6.5CM as well? It’s not too big?

2. How do you recommend I attach it to my rifles? 300NM is 3/4-24 and 6.5CM is 5/8-24. I saw one of your other posts in January recommending CB for precision rifles. Do you still think this is the best method? https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/thunder-beast-magnus.7105161/page-2#post-9953983

3. How do I get one through SilencerShop? I want to do their Single Shot Trust and I’ll likely use Bauer Precision in Denton Texas. They are an Elite Dealer for SilencerShop and have a Kiosk.

4. Realistically, how long am I going to have to wait for availability?

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
Ok, I’m thinking Magnus.

1. I’m assuming I can expect great performance on my 6.5CM as well? It’s not too big?

2. How do you recommend I attach it to my rifles? 300NM is 3/4-24 and 6.5CM is 5/8-24. I saw one of your other posts in January recommending CB for precision rifles. Do you still think this is the best method? https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/thunder-beast-magnus.7105161/page-2#post-9953983

3. How do I get one through SilencerShop? I want to do their Single Shot Trust and I’ll likely use Bauer Precision in Denton Texas. They are an Elite Dealer for SilencerShop and have a Kiosk.

1. The Magnus will be fine.

2. Dead Air KeyMo/KeyMount brakes on both, then you won't have to worry about different threads, it will mount right up on both.

3. Go to Bauer Precision and get them to show you how to do this with the kiosk, you will need to be there in person anyway to do your fingerprints. It's stupid-simple thanks to the SS Kiosk.

4. That I can't answer... TBAC used to have a long wait time, but I have heard they have since curbed that. I'm interested in adding a Magnus to my own collection, so I'm curious to know this, as well.

Ok, I’m thinking Magnus.

1. It'll be the quietest option for 6.5CM other than the 338 Ultra Gen2, so yeah, the only downside is it's a little bigger than an Ultra 9, or a little longer than an Ultra 7, but a lot quieter.

2. We know the CB mount works great on precision rifles, and that the SR mount works great on precision rifles and full auto. If you want to go HUB, you should go into it knowing what mount you want to use and you should be satisfied that it's accurate enough for your rifle.

3. No idea. They don't have any on order yet. Mile High put in the first bulk orders for Magnuses. Just buy one from MH and get Bauer to submit your efile form 4. Should be straightforward.

4. The first bulk Magnus batches are due to arrive at the dealers who ordered them first, in the early April timeframe

Reactions: Yerman

3. Sound suppression

CGS Helios QD Ti. There isn’t a better suppressing can in that form factor that I’m aware of.

I would 100% go for a dead air Nomad-L, with the E-Brake and a Keymount QD on a Lantac Dragon KeyMo muzzle device to mitigate baffle erosion from the 300NM.

The E-brake will give you some recoil dampening even while suppressed, and the dragon is an excellent brake when unsuppressed.

Precision will still be there, though you will likely see some PoI shift. If you apply the same torque to the Keymount ratchet each time, the PoI shift will be consistent (I made a home brew strap & socket tool for doing this)

Reactions: Newbie2020
I would 100% go for a dead air Nomad-L, with the E-Brake and a Keymount QD on a Lantac Dragon KeyMo muzzle device to mitigate baffle erosion from the 300NM.

The E-brake will give you some recoil dampening even while suppressed, and the dragon is an excellent brake when unsuppressed.

Precision will still be there, though you will likely see some PoI shift. If you apply the same torque to the Keymount ratchet each time, the PoI shift will be consistent (I made a home brew strap & socket tool for doing this)
I would stay away from the Lantac muzzle devices. A buddy had one on his 11.5” 5.56 and it started visibly eroding the baffles at just less-than a thousand rounds. And they told him that was “normal”… I’d stick with either JMac Customs or the Dead Air brand stuff.

Reactions: mikeravis10
7" cans on a 300NM are not going to be super quiet. On a magnum rifle, other than hunting, I'm using a 9" or longer can all day. For hunting with a lighter weight rifle, still Ultra 7.
It’s nice to finally agree on one thing. 😂 A quality lightweight titanium 9” can for hunting on a magnum is the only way to fly. My new Otter Creek Hydrogen-L sounds amazing on my 22.5” 7mmRM. Still want to add a Magnus to the collection someday. 👍🏼