• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors suppressor for 338LM

Tasmanian_Welder

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2014
Hey guys hows it going. I started a build and I wasn't going to add a suppressor but I changed my mind when I realized how loud it was. I'm leaning towards a surefire can I was wondering if anyone had one so they could tell me how well it works. Does anyone know how many decibels a 338 has when it is suppressed and unsuppressed?

It's going well. Thank you for asking.

I have a YHM can and love it. A little heavy,but that's a 338 can for you. Great price, too.

I know Surefire made a titanium socom 338 suppressor for a military contact, but I don't think they are selling them to the public.

That leaves you with Surefire's legacy 338 suppressor, which I don't know of any retailer that currently has one in stock. IIRC, It is also an over the barrel design so it limits what rifles you can put it on depending on the barrel profile (unless you get it turned down)....

I am a Surefire fan-boi and I personally went with a Thunderbeast 338 BA model. It still allows me to take it off in the field and still run a brake. Unless the SOCOM version became available I would be looking elsewhere.

Last edited:
I love my Thunderbeast brake attached suppressor. I run it on the .338LM, .308 and .260, going to run it on my .300 BO as well. Its kind of big for the .300 Blackout, but hey it works and its only one tax stamp !

I'm about 1 month away from receiving the stamp for an AAC Titan titanium. From what I have heard, a 338 LM with a can isn't hearing safe according to OSHA limits. While it may not uncomfortable, I can cause hearing damage.

also, a 338 with a brake is LOUD

For my 338LM I run a Surefire FA338SS (quick detach) on Surefire brake. I also use the same can and brake on my precision 30-06. Works great on both rifles. I'm very happy going this route and rate the product very highly.

I have the Thunderbeast 338BA as well for .338, .300WM and occasionally .308. When I saw the size of the can I knew I wasn't going to want to run it on my .300BLK so I picked up one of the SOCOM 7.62's.

You're looking at low 170s in DB output from a non-suppressed 338 LM (+1/-1 DB depending on whether that un suppressed rig has a brake, FH or crowned muzzle). I get an average of around 131 DBs with my Titan-QD (Titanium can). It is definitely hearing safe. For reference, I get a 128 DB avg with my M4-2000 running std off the shelf .223 loads. The Titan weighs in at 21.6 ounces with an added length of just over 9 inches. Accuracy is fantastic. VERY worth the wait and cost IMO. I would also note that the Thunderbeast .338 cans are extremely well made also....

Bought my TBAC 338BA in early May 2013 and was told by ATF last month that I should see it in July '14.

Just shot it again the other day and use really good ear protection, especially with a 23.5" barrel

I shoot my old Stainless Titan without ear pro as long as I am not under an awning or something. Out in the open it is hearing safe. I have done 50-60 shots in an outing with no problems. It's quieter than an LWRC REPR with a 762 SDN-6 and a 5.56 with a Mini-4.

Elite Iron has a nice 338LM Sierra SD suppressor, it mounts on a brake extending back over the barrel a few inches. They claim a sound pressure level reduction of 33 db. I was surprised at how quiet it was with full power 300gr loads. Also ran a few subsonic loads through it, sounded like a pellet gun but the bullet made quite a thump when it hit the backstop.
saxl5g.jpg

I love my Thunderbeast brake attached suppressor. I run it on the .338LM, .308 and .260, going to run it on my .300 BO as well. Its kind of big for the .300 Blackout, but hey it works and its only one tax stamp !

I'd like to see a picture of a TB 338BA on the end of a blackout.... LOL

The good thing about the Thunderbeast is it is tops in not changing your POI. Not sure if that holds true for smaller calibers though. I have seen it next to a titan and it was much quieter and that was reason #2 I bought one.

Hey, guys not to change subject but has anyone noticed reduced case life on their .338's when shooting suppressed?

I tried to search but no luck :(

I would check out the Griffin Armament PHS 338. Mine just got approved so im taking it for a ride this weekend.