• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

suppressor for competition

freezingduck

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Norway
I have been looking at all the video and pictures that i could find from TPRC, PRS, and so on.
I cant find any pictures of anyone running a suppressor.
Why is this?

Rifle gets too long?
To much mirage?
Illegal for these competitions?

I run a can on all my long range rifles, and i love the reduced noice and recoil.

Re: suppressor for competition

It is a lot of weight on the end of your rifle and may negatively affect the balance when doing certain positional shots. If you look at the thread on bolt action rifles from the recent competition listing everyones gear, you can see that a few people ran them but the vast majority did not.

Probably because of the additional weight and length...but maybe more because you'd have to wear ear pro anyway because of all the rest of the folks shooting rude.
wink.gif

Many people shoot suppressors in competition. The winning PRS shooter even used one in the final match.

A lot of guys are cranking the velocity up for competitions, so they're running 24"+ barrels. When you add a can to that it becomes a pain to get in and out of any obstacle or barricade that you have to stick your muzzle through. The suppressors also don't reduce recoil as much as a good brake does. On the other hand, if you're shooting in an area with a lot of loose dirt/dust, the suppressor will give you a huge advantage by not blowing crap everywhere, obscuring your view. Just some of my experiences shooting suppressed vs. braked in a few comps.

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

I usually run a .308 with a 20'' barrel and a BR Reflex suppressor witch give me a short package that I love using while hunting close to populated areas.
My 6,5x55 has a 28'' barrel, and i was planning on chopping it down to 26'' and putting a suppressor on it, but it might get to front heavy and long to be hauling around in and out of vehicles and in the forest:(