• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Suppressor for Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308

razor488

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2014
I have decided to take the ATF tax stamp journey to suppressor land. Can anyone recommend some options for the Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308? I keep hearing that AAC is a great company but I am not clear if their silencers will screw on to the already threaded barrel or how that works? I noticed that their silencers are around the $1,000 range whereas Surefire is more expensive. Is there a big difference that you get with the price?

I also have a .223 AR... Would it be possible to use an AAC silencers on both weapons? Or pistols for that matter?

Thank you all for the recommendations.

you can use a .308 cal suppressor on a .223 AR no problem. If you plan on swapping hosts often it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a QD can so you don't have to worry about thread adapters. I'd take a look at the silencerco saker or specwar personally though that's just my opinion.

Do NOT buy their quick-detach models.

Two years and I'm STILL trying to have one fixed. Despite AAC sending me about a dozen different brakes to get the best lockup possible, I still can only get one or two shots on target and the can rotates JUST enough to change the harmonics, then it's like a long-range shotgun again, grouping low and to the left. Quiet enough, latching mech (51T, 96T? I can't recall anymore - and the older 18T they "fixed" also comes loose) just doesn't work.

Dig around here, there was a fairly mighty purse fight or two a year or so back over whether their QD brakes work, and for whom, and who was "at fault." Lotta ad hominem stuff.

YMMV.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to pack it them up and send them back again, take them up on the offer of a thread-on can. Do it on e-File.

btw the surefire is more expensive because of their mounting system mainly which is probably the best of the industry.

I run an Allen Engineering Suppressor on my 308 Bolt Action. But I prefer the two points of contact on a reflex suppressor fitted to a barrel that is contoured to ensure the collar and the threads are concentric to the bore. My Remington 700 5R came threaded with a mount for a Gemetech HVT, but when I had it contoured for this Allen Engineering Suppressor, the threads were so badly off center, I had to have the barrel re-threaded.

from what i've heard the QD suppressors that AAC offers have a weird ping sound when fired. Personally I find that irritating and am not a huge fan of their 51T mounting systems...as others have said it promotes wiggling.

I run an AAC M4-2000 on a couple host rifles with the QD 51 tooth blackout flash hider mount. Personally I like the QD feature and I have had no accuracy issues on any of my rifles.
The "ping" you hear is loudest running a prong flash hider without a can attached. Its there but not terribly annoying, with the suppressor attached I do not hear it.

Surefire is generally more expensive and the louder of similar cans from viewing some test demo's with DB numbers.

What is the difference between the Harvest and the other two 30 cal silencers they make? (Specwar and Saker)

The 7.62 Saker and Specwar are both full auto and SBR rated. They both have Stellite baffles. The saker is a modular can with swappable mounting systems and front caps.

The harvester is in a totally different class. It still has a full welded 17-4 stainless core but is not full auto rated. It only weighs 11 oz. It is a direct thread mount with interchange able back caps, meaning you can still run 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 etc. The harvester has a muzzle brake on the end of the can that is super effective. It is not removable.

The cost difference between them is significant. Check them all out at Silenerco.com

Buy once, cry once....get the Surefire762 and dont look back. I was gunna save a few bucks and go elsewhere. ..so glad I bought my Surefire 556-212 for my Colt 6940. They make a superb couple and I couldn't be happier. Mounting system is like a weld-mount. Customer service is TOP NOTCH. I even had free shims sent to me for my adapter. ..just called and explained. Forget the rest...buy the Best...buy a Surefire. You will be glad you did and proud of your purchase.

For my bolt action rifles, I went with Thunder Beast Arms. I have their 30P1, 30BA and 338BA. I have been extremely impressed with all three. They are also very supportive of the shooting community.

I'm very happy with my Thunderbeast. It is light, has a good tone and doesn't affect accuracy at all. I have never had to use their customer service myself but the way Zak answers up on this forum and others speaks volumes about their customer service.

I run an AAC Titan/QD on my 700 AAC-SD without problems.

OP be aware your 700 AAC-SD is most likely part of the Remington XMP recall.

Thank you for the heads up - I will check it out!

p.s. I think I am going to order the Saker 762

Update: My gun is affected and they are sending me a box to return it. Thank you again!

Last edited:
The biggest highlight of this thread is when OP says he has heard AAC is a great company. Thanks OP I needed some humor today.

Thunderbeast, Templar Tactical or Silencerco..

As others have said Thunderbeast is excellent I have their 338BA can which is awesome but a little much for what you are looking for. I was going to pick up a 30BA from them as well but my usual source was out of stock and I ended up getting a deal from him on the Surefire SOCOM762, submitted the paperwork in early March so it will be a few months before I get to play with it. My old roommate has the SDN-6 and he hasn't complained about it, it does not lock up as tight as others have mentioned above. Seems like it manages to find the gap between teeth when you attach it which allows for a little wiggle.