• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor for three different Cal. ?

Old Corps 8541

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2022
Milton FL
Considering a suppressor that I would want to swap between a 6 a 6.5 and a 30 Cal. Obviously , it would have to be sized for the .30 Cal. I guess my question is how effective the 30 Cal. would be on a 6 MM , like a 243AI ?

Been running similar setups ( 6 Creed and 6 GT and 22s) for better part of a half dozen yrs. No problems whatsoever. Actually the 30 cal Ultra 9s are the go to for range time over one of my 6.5s (Ultra 7 - except for hunting)…

Now for disclaimer- was documented with hearing lost as a young Marine LT 40 yrs ago.
So take with grain of salt…

You can reduce some sound by shooting caliber specific but it's not a huge difference and it's more about that can and cartridge than if it's caliber specific or not. My nomads and some other 30 cal cans sound just as good and nomad is definitely better than some of the 6mm cans , with all shot on a 6mm. The 6mm cans are usually just a little smaller over all which is nice. A good 30 cal can will definitely serve you well across all 3 calibers.

Reactions: camocorvette
The Rugged Surge has interchangeable end caps, which changes the exit hole diameter.

I bought it with the 30 cal end cap and I’ve never changed it.

I shoot 223 up to 308 and haven’t had any issues.

Is the sound that much different? I don’t know, I’m half deaf. Ask my wife! 😂

Reactions: Threadcutter308
The Rugged Surge has interchangeable end caps, which changes the exit hole diameter.

I bought it with the 30 cal end cap and I’ve never changed it.

I shoot 223 up to 308 and haven’t had any issues.

Is the sound that much different? I don’t know, I’m half deaf. Ask my wife! 😂
Samesies. I bought smaller end caps and got lazy. I don't even change out the end caps anymore. Correct/smaller size end caps may reduce the sound signature by 1 to 2 dB, but not enough for me to bother with changing the end caps anymore.

One thing to be aware of with Rugged is that the end cap(s) are not crowned to the end/diameter of the suppressor tube. Meaning, if you manage to drop the can, Murphy's law says it will hit the concrete on the muzzle/exit end, distorting/damaging the end of the suppressor tube. Then, you'll have to send it back to Rugged for repair/replacement of the suppressor tube.

AMHIK. I went through that and Rugged were very good and very quick to effect the "repair". But, it should not have been necessary in the first place. I really do like Rugged, but to me, that is a very simple problem to solve. They expressed zero interest in doing so, so I'm conflicted as to whether or not I'll buy another Rugged suppressor again.

All they would have to do is to make a very minor change in their end caps so that the end cap covers/protects the entire outer diameter of the tube. That way, if the can gets dropped, the cap takes the hit, not the tube. And, if the cap gets dinged, it can still be removed and/or replaced by the user/owner. That, as opposed to having to send the whole can (with a copy of the ATF paperwork) back to Rugged.

Hell, if they made that one improvement, I'd buy/pay for the new end caps and they'd have a damned near perfect product.

Last edited:
A-tec marksman with their brake. .260rem, 308win, 300nm and 338lm same can pretty much same perceived noise. 338 hole obviously…

I will never buy anotHer cam that is not at least .30. Have dedicated 223 and I cannot tell a difference between that can or a 30 cal when shooting the smaller cartridges

Everbody has an opinion. I bought SiCo Omega. I hav 30 cal, custom 6.5, and 22 cal end caps. The 30 lives on the suppressor. The others live in a bx. Everbodys hearing is diff. Whats quiet’est to me may not be for you
Now when you start shooting them on Auto’s and backpressure is an issue, then I believe thise designed for auto’s really start to shine

The answer is- it depends IMO. Dont buy a do all can if you mostly shoot 5.56. If you shoot 5.56 and a 6 the Polonium would be a good choice. A polonium and aTBAC ultra .30 would be a good overall pair. Steel for the semi and titanium for the bolts. Add a dead air mask and really you would have a lot covered. I love my old TBAC but its not the can for a 15. I shoot 6s in a bolt so the polonium would have been a ideal do all for me. I go the agjustable gas block route so I dont care about backpressure. If you want to take the can off and have it run 100% a flow type can might be better. Shorter and lighter is always better but steel for semis and Ti for bolts. These are the considerations for cans more than just caliber. TBAC has the best reputation for baffle designs that consider precision. With inexpensive and good suppresors out there like the REX and polonium I cant see trying to make a .30 TBAC work on a 15. I mean it works but even k suppressors effect handling- a lot. The REXS somtimes have had killer sales and they are great cans. Oh and a wolfman too... Ha See how this gos,

Every single person thinks they will only buy one. Every single person buys more than one. No sense making a selection on do all. Then you end up with a can that stays in the safe.

Last edited:
I have several cans. TBAC ultra 9 and 36M for the big guys and a Saker 556 for the 556’s.

I like my TBAC the best. Have used on everything from 556 to 300 PRC. I also prefer direct thread for bolt guns

I bought the saker 556 ASR for running on the AR’s. Running hot and not as worried if something shits the bed vs my TBAC. I bought the 36M for the same type of do all can that I can beat a bit. Both run off ASR mounts

The TBAC is the quietest can of them all on my 308. Which isn’t a surprise. But the size and ruggedness of the saker is nice for AR’s and bolt 556/223 I have

Not all cans are the same and none are going to cover everything. The one that sounds the best is going to give up in the size and weight department

That’s how you end up down the rabbit hole and just keep buying cans.

One of the biggest things if you’re not going direct thread to start is “what mount is the best”. That’s where it gets expensive down the road when you buy more cans

Reactions: AK264