• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors suppressor forhomedefense...

Travis S

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2004
marietta/macon, ga
I'm pondering getting one of the fnp 45 tacticals for home defense and what not. I have a ti sas can that is not getting much use that would be right at home on that pistol. I would be keeping the can on the pistol with a mounted light. If I had to use it would I be creating any legal issues that would not occur had I not had the can onit? I have 3 young kids and wouldn't want to traumatize them any more than they would be from such an event. I also understand that no one knows for sure what the outcome would be. Just trying to watch out for my kids well being. I live in east cobb county if that's of any help. Thanks!

Re: suppressor forhomedefense...

They will try to crucify you for it. That said people should have the best defense lawyer they can find on speed dial in case anything ever happens. A good lawyer will be able to dispel the whole "suppressors are evil and you were an over zealous commando type" BS. When it comes to any type of defense situation they will try everything they can to nail you and that's why a GOOD lawyer is necessary. Also try to get an expert witness like Massad Ayoob to give testimony on your behalf. Somebody like him can argue why it's a good idea to use a suppressor. It's usually not the shooting that's the hard part, it's the legal game afterwords.

It is either a good shoot or it is not. We do have a "Castle Doctrine" law here.

I have NFA weapons with suppressors around the place as HD tools. I will use the BEST tool for the job and worry about a possible anti-gun DA if I live through the encounter. YMMV.

Perception is 9/10th of reality (and also how some people practice the law). While I understand wanting to protect one's family...would they be better served by having their Dad questioned about a shooting and cleared of any wrong-doing by committing an act of self-defense and defense of others, or...being tried and convicted for manslaughter or murder by an anti-gun prosecuting attorney and possibly a jury for the exact same circumstances merely because of the weapon/accessories Dad chose to deploy against an aggressor?!?!

I completely agree that legally there isn't anything wrong with what you are considering...but it is the perception of the public and public officials that may sway the outcome after any shooting involving your suppressed FNP45 tactical. It shouldn't damn well matter what weapon you use to protect you and yours, especially in your own home...but sadly the "sheeple" don't always see it that way...Castle Doctrine or not.

My goal is to protect my family, but when all is said and done...it is also to be back in their arms as fast as possible to continue protecting them and to not spend years in jail away from them for something as seemingly minor as whether I removed my TiRANT from my pistol before killing some a$$hole that desperately deserved it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perception is 9/10th of reality (and also how some people practice the law). While I understand wanting to protect one's family...would they be better served by having their Dad questioned about a shooting and cleared of any wrong-doing by committing an act of self-defense and defense of others, or...being tried and convicted for manslaughter or murder by an anti-gun prosecuting attorney and possibly a jury for the exact same circumstances merely because of the weapon/accessories Dad chose to deploy against an aggressor?!?!

I completely agree that legally there isn't anything wrong with what you are considering...but it is the perception of the public and public officials that may sway the outcome after any shooting involving your suppressed FNP45 tactical. It shouldn't damn well matter what weapon you use to protect you and yours, especially in your own home...but sadly the "sheeple" don't always see it that way...Castle Doctrine or not.

My goal is to protect my family, but when all is said and done...it is also to be back in their arms as fast as possible to continue protecting them and to not spend years in jail away from them for something as seemingly minor as whether I removed my TiRANT from my pistol before killing some a$$hole that desperately deserved it. </div></div>

+1. My thoughts exactly. I don't even use handloads for my HD pistols precisely so I can say, "I just bought those off the shelf because the guy at the gun store said it wouldn't go through any walls and would still stop a bad guy." You've got every right to have a suppressed pistol for HD, but should something happen where you have to use it, you want to look like you're just some guy trying to defend his home and family. The perception of using a suppressor could make you less sympathetic to a jury, though it certainly shouldn't. But hey, at the end of the day, it's your home and your family so what any of us would do doesn't matter one bit.

Just to be on the safe side, after the encounter remove the suppressor and put it away. it's not like you are hiding evidence, it's still the same gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwanajcj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to be on the safe side, after the encounter remove the suppressor and put it away. it's not like you are hiding evidence, it's still the same gun. </div></div> yeah I thought about that but the threaded barrel would open up too many questions about it. The batfe would have to be called as well if a shooting involved a supressor right? I keep my form 4s with them. Would the cops have to take the can too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snyper762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The batfe would have to be called as well if a shooting involved a supressor right? I keep my form 4s with them. Would the cops have to take the can too? </div></div>

You will almost certainly lose possession of the pistol and the can for at least a while (the length of time will vary widely depending on the circumstances) during any investigation, pending charges/indictment, trial, etc., etc.

As for calling BATF and involving the Feds...I don't know whether that would happen or not, but it is certainly possible if your local LEOs have questions about your ownership, legalities, etc.

Honestly, what's the point in having the suppressor on the gun for home defense. If you shoot someone the authorities are going to know about it relatively quickly. I too use only factory ammo in my home defense weapons and no can.

Josh

Yeah I guess it wouldn't be the best idea. I definitely only run factory loads for hd. Maybe I'm just lookin for an excuse to buy a new toy...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, what's the point in having the suppressor on the gun for home defense. If you shoot someone the authorities are going to know about it relatively quickly.</div></div>

Sure, but why wake up your neighbors if you don't have too.
smile.gif

i say use it, its kind of sad we live in a day and age that we have to worry about using a suppressor on a firearm to defend our god given right, I run a can on everything but my glock, and if some loony toon comes uninvited to my home i'm not unthreadin my can just to nail the wack job, i'll have no prob droppin his ass and lettin my little ones sleep through it, and if someone wants to know if i used a can while i protected my life and saved my families... so be it.

I think if I am gonna shoot somebody that is invading my home trying to hurt me or my family I want him and his buddies to hear it. If I happen to miss maybe he will run away or if I shott the first guy his friends will have second thoughts and leave.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perception is 9/10th of reality (and also how some people practice the law). While I understand wanting to protect one's family...would they be better served by having their Dad questioned about a shooting and cleared of any wrong-doing by committing an act of self-defense and defense of others, or...being tried and convicted for manslaughter or murder by an anti-gun prosecuting attorney and possibly a jury for the exact same circumstances merely because of the weapon/accessories Dad chose to deploy against an aggressor?!?!

My goal is to protect my family, but when all is said and done...it is also to be back in their arms as fast as possible to continue protecting them and to not spend years in jail away from them for something as seemingly minor as whether I removed my TiRANT from my pistol before killing some a$$hole that desperately deserved it. </div></div>

+1. My thoughts exactly. I don't even use handloads for my HD pistols precisely so I can say, "I just bought those off the shelf because the guy at the gun store said it wouldn't go through any walls and would still stop a bad guy." You've got every right to have a suppressed pistol for HD, but should something happen where you have to use it, you want to look like you're just some guy trying to defend his home and family. The perception of using a suppressor could make you less sympathetic to a jury, though it certainly shouldn't. But hey, at the end of the day, it's your home and your family so what any of us would do doesn't matter one bit.</div></div>

Perception is reality to most. It would be easy to paint you as a armchair commando/wanna be assassin in the eyes of the general population. I'd think twice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qld4390</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, what's the point in having the suppressor on the gun for home defense. If you shoot someone the authorities are going to know about it relatively quickly.</div></div>

Sure, but why wake up your neighbors if you don't have too.
smile.gif
</div></div>

In a defensive shooting I want as much attention as possible as that will likely deter offenders and possible give witnesses. If I'm shooting in my home, I want my neighbors to come. Luckily, most of mine would come armed and ready. ;-)

I'll disagree with most of you. My home defense carbine is the MSAR at the top, with the suppressor:

web.jpg

Statistically speaking, I will likely die in a car accident before I have to use my rifle (or pistol) for home defense.
If i do have to use it, likely in semi darkness, in an enclosed space, then I want to minimize blast and flash as much as is possible, both being fairly unpleasant.
If I do shoot, it will be judged either a good shoot or a bad shoot based on the facts. If I'm charged as it's a bad shoot, no doubt the suppressor could be spun by a prosecuter, but then, the fact i passed the good citizen checks to own one might weigh in my favor
whistle.gif
Should i be worried that a jury thinks me more murderous because i shot him with an evil "assault" rifle instead of my gentle .380 LCP. Or that the rifle has a "night vision" led flashlight ? Or that it was loaded with 30 "military calibre" bullets ?
The least of my worries after shooting someone will be the (temporary) loss of my rifle and suppressor.
As a footnote, I prefer the MSAR for balance, pointability and speed to mount over my ARs ( of which I have a few ). With the suppressor mounted, it's still fractionally shorter than the M6A3

asiparks glad I am not the only dissenting opinion. LOL. I was thinking the same thing about flashlights, Aimpoints, round capacity, etc. Some people will always be so fearful of a potentially anti-gun DA they are willing to intentionally place themselves at a disadvantage. Where does the fear end? I own suppressors, machine guns, body armor and other "evil" guns & gear. Who is to say if I shot Mr. Badguy with my 642 (J-frame revolver for those of you who don't know) that some anti-gun DA wouldn't use my other "evil weapons" to paint me in a bad light to a jury. "He owns assault rifles, thousands of rounds of ammo and better armament than nearly all our local PDs. He has participated in para-military training even! He is evil I tell ya!!! EVIL!! That meth-head gang-banger didn't deserve to die stealing that TV. The real criminal is the blood thirsty owner of those evil black rifles!"

Whatever. I won't allow myself to be worried about the aftermath of a "good shoot" until that time comes. And I certainly won't let hypothetical scenarios about anti-gun cops or DAs hinder my choices of tools. Heck, today I am carrying a full-size .45 with two spare mags. If I am unlucky enough to be in a violent confrontation on the way home, should I worry about being described as "a blood thirsty killer looking for trouble" all because I am carrying spare mags? I mean who needs spare ammo unless you are looking for a fight. Right? Maybe I am better off carrying sharp sticks.

Lastly, some people fail to understand that self defense laws vary by locale. When discussing specifically home defense, local laws should be factored into the equation.

I think some people's fear has been beaten into them by people like Ayoob. That is sad.

Each of us must pick the best tools we are comfortable using for reasons that only matter to us. There is no right or wrong answer just as there is no "best" choice of daily carry firearm. Pick what is best for you.

Okay, sorry for the pre-coffee ramblings.
smile.gif

I agree with bookhound wholeheartedly. The only thing to fear is the harm or loss of the ones you love. If you convolute the situation in your own mind before the event or after, in court, then you open yourself up to the skew of interpretation. The reason you act is because an aggressor with an unknown amount of force has entered your domain.

Not too long ago I was out shooting one of 'mag' handgun's and my ear plugs were not 'plugged' in.....almost at the same time of ignition I had pain in both ears...not mild pain but pain!

Now when I think of that horrible pain and a loaded handgun in my home..God forbid having to fire it...knowing before hand that pain...<span style="text-decoration: underline">makes it all the more difficult to FOCUS </span>on the immediate moment.

I am quite sure with adrenalin flowing and sense's peaked, the sound may not be heard by me...BUT JUST IN CASE... I have a 'Can' on my in house weapon.

Now I can focus on:
shot placement,
shot placement,
shot placement,
shot placement,
shot placement,
shot placement,
shot placement,
shot placement,
shot placement,
shot placement,
where the Red dot is!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beltloop[MikeSr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">]
I am quite sure with adrenalin flowing and sense's peaked, the sound may not be heard by me...BUT JUST IN CASE... I have a 'Can' on my in house weapon.

</div></div>

What you are describing is called auditory exclusion. Your brain might not register the sound when you are in that stressful situation, but you ARE still damaging your hearing. Ignorant people will argue that is not the case. The fact is you ARE damaging your hearing and the hearing of others in the home. So, I agree with you MikeSr. Good points.

The point about flash is another valid point. Muzzle blast can temporarily kill your visual purple.

A suppressor addresses both issues.

I don't understand the argument that noise is a good thing to alert or warn others. When most people hear loud noises in their own homes they tend to not run right to the sound to investigate. Most people hesitate. Investigate a noise across the street? Come to someone's assistance? Um, yeah. I'm not buying that one.

Other than the Ayoob claims, is there any caselaw where someone was convicted for legal & justified shooting where they used non-factory ammo (reloads)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body">asiparks glad I am not the only dissenting opinion. LOL. I was thinking the same thing about flashlights, Aimpoints, round capacity, etc. Some people will always be so fearful of a potentially anti-gun DA they are willing to intentionally place themselves at a disadvantage. Where does the fear end? I own suppressors, machine guns, body armor and other "evil" guns & gear. Who is to say if I shot Mr. Badguy with my 642 (J-frame revolver for those of you who don't know) that some anti-gun DA wouldn't use my other "evil weapons" to paint me in a bad light to a jury. "He owns assault rifles, thousands of rounds of ammo and better armament than nearly all our local PDs. He has participated in para-military training even! He is evil I tell ya!!! EVIL!! That meth-head gang-banger didn't deserve to die stealing that TV. The real criminal is the blood thirsty owner of those evil black rifles!"

Whatever. I won't allow myself to be worried about the aftermath of a "good shoot" until that time comes. And I certainly won't let hypothetical scenarios about anti-gun cops or DAs hinder my choices of tools. Heck, today I am carrying a full-size .45 with two spare mags. If I am unlucky enough to be in a violent confrontation on the way home, should I worry about being described as "a blood thirsty killer looking for trouble" all because I am carrying spare mags? I mean who needs spare ammo unless you are looking for a fight. Right? Maybe I am better off carrying sharp sticks.

Lastly, some people fail to understand that self defense laws vary by locale. When discussing specifically home defense, local laws should be factored into the equation.

I think some people's fear has been beaten into them by people like Ayoob. That is sad.

Each of us must pick the best tools we are comfortable using for reasons that only matter to us. There is no right or wrong answer just as there is no "best" choice of daily carry firearm. Pick what is best for you.

Okay, sorry for the pre-coffee ramblings.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Top marks for you BookHound
smile.gif

I would just come up with another justification for purchasing the suppressor. This one isn't good enough. I'll be getting one as soon as I get my paperwork back. My reason to purchase is just because I think they are awesome.

Hmmm. I've killed a lot of big game animals with unsupressed centerfire rifles, but didn't ever notice my ears ringing until long after the shooting was over.

Far as flash goes, you are not going to be firing your pistol in the dark anyway. Period. How are you going to ID your target? Magic?

If you shoot at night, you need a light--either a flashlight or you're going to turn your house light on. At which point the flash becomes a non-issue. And frankly most tactical ammo is low flash anyway. But the big thing is you are not going to be letting bullets fly at a human target unless you have PID'd it. Period. Unless dude is stabbing you already, in which case flash is the least of your worries.

Anyway, the auditory trauma to your family of hearing 3 or 4 gunshots in the house is going to be nothing compared to having a house filled with cops, EMTs, blood stains and bullet holes in the furniture, watching you go to jail--which you certainly will, at least for a night--and waiting to hear if you're being indicted or not. Which will take months.

Better than going to your funeral, of course, but it's going to be a 12 month nightmare and probably cost you $10,000 at the minimum. Why complicate things by using ninja gear? You're just making yourself look really suspicious. You're putting yourself in a situation in which very few people, other than on this message board, are going to have sympathy for you.

BTW, I keep an M4 with a bunch of 30 round mags and some web gear ready to go in my closet. I've got retarded amounts of ammo and tactical crap, just like everyone else. But I am not going to grab those things unless there is a breakdown in civil order ala the LA riots or Katrina (which I was in N.O. for).

If I am worried about bumps in the night, I grab a benign looking handgun (glock, springfield, revolver, whatever is at hand) and my surefire. Dudes fought Indians with unreliable blackpowder revolvers from horseback. If we can't get the job done with a modern handgun and a flashlight, we ought to be embarrassed.

suppressor is great asset for HD imo. Think about it...less muzzle flash. less recoil. less noise. more accuracy. easier to control. Gives you some more advantages and those advantages are in the name of home defense of yourself and loved ones.

You need all the advantages you can get. Perps have a plan... they know what they are going to do and when. You sure as hell aren't prvi to that info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXtransplant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm. I've killed a lot of big game animals with unsupressed centerfire rifles, but didn't ever notice my ears ringing until long after the shooting was over.

<span style="color: #FF0000">that delayed ringing is an indication that your hearing is getting damaged. Now, this big game you were shooting, was it in a 20X30 foot enclosed area ? Thought not. How about you go fire your M4 in your garage and let us know how it was for you.</span>

Far as flash goes, you are not going to be firing your pistol in the dark anyway. Period. How are you going to ID your target? Magic?

<span style="color: #FF0000">A ha ha hah</span>

If you shoot at night, you need a light--either a flashlight or you're going to turn your house light on. At which point the flash becomes a non-issue. And frankly most tactical ammo is low flash anyway. But the big thing is you are not going to be letting bullets fly at a human target unless you have PID'd it. Period. Unless dude is stabbing you already, in which case flash is the least of your worries.

<span style="color: #FF0000">There's no part of my house that's truly pitch black. I'm sure there's a sciency name for how your eyes adapt to the dark, if i wake up in the night needing a piss, i can get there and back without falling over anything. I can see fairly clearly as it goes and if you're over 5'5" and not my wife I will know it.
There's a downside to this though as your eyes are now more sensitive to sudden bright lights....so....
I have a light on my weapon. It's nicely focused forward, away from me. So I can use it for target ID in case my wife is really slouching.
Alas, muzzle flash doesn't behave itself as well. Might seem to in daylight, but in relative darkness, not the case. Don't know what kind of flash hider's on your rifle, but I'm pretty certain that, assuming you're not bump firing from the hip, that flash is going right up in front of your field of vision. Get your M4 again. Sit in your garage with the lights off until your eyes adapt. Now fire your m4. Bit unpleasant isn't it ? </span>

Anyway, the auditory trauma to your family of hearing 3 or 4 gunshots in the house is going to be nothing compared to having a house filled with cops, EMTs, blood stains and bullet holes in the furniture, watching you go to jail--which you certainly will, at least for a night--and waiting to hear if you're being indicted or not. Which will take months.

Better than going to your funeral, of course, but it's going to be a 12 month nightmare and probably cost you $10,000 at the minimum. Why complicate things by using ninja gear?

<span style="color: #FF0000">I want to protect all my senses as much as possible. You might not.
There's nothing "Ninja" about a suppressor, it's not because you're worried about waking the kids or the neighbours, or trying to conceal the firing of the weapon so you can ditch the body. It's about retaining as much of your hearing and vision as possible in a time of high stress. There may be one miscreant, there may be four. I'd like to retain as much awareness as possible.

The above will happen regardless. I want to give myself, and my family, every opportunity to be alive to participate in the ensuing shitstorm</span>

You're just making yourself look really suspicious. You're putting yourself in a situation in which very few people, other than on this message board, are going to have sympathy for you. </div></div>
<span style="color: #FF0000">Not sure that I give too much of a fuck how people on, or off message boards wish to direct their sympathy. Probably have bigger fish to fry </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXtransplant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, I keep an M4 with a bunch of 30 round mags and some web gear ready to go in my closet. I've got retarded amounts of ammo and tactical crap, just like everyone else.

<span style="color: #FF0000">And there's no way a malevolent prosecutor could paint those in a dim light after a police search turned them up....</span>

But I am not going to grab those things unless there is a breakdown in civil order ala the LA riots or Katrina (which I was in N.O. for).

If I am worried about bumps in the night, <span style="color: #33CCFF"><span style="font-weight: bold">I grab a benign looking handgun (glock, springfield, revolver, whatever is at hand)</span>
</span>
<span style="color: #FF0000">Er... what..? Does that even make sense ? Benign to whom ? How l does any handgun other than an orange painted cap gun look benign ?
" I did indeed shoot him your Honor, but it was just a Glock "
"Ah well then, case dismissed !"
Right then, don't see how that might not be, in any way, a complete success. </span>
and my surefire. Dudes fought Indians with unreliable blackpowder revolvers from horseback. If we can't get the job done with a modern handgun and a flashlight, we ought to be embarrassed. </div></div>

As I recall, many of those "dudes" were slaughtered by said Indians....

Home defense ( and self defense generally) is not about being reasonable or fair. There's no gentleman's agreements, I want to stack the odds in my favor as much as is possible. I may well fail miserably, you can't account for everything, but such is life.
Risk statistics suggest I will die in one of many mundane ways, before I have to shoot some one in defense of my home.
But if I do, i want as far from a level playing field as possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwanajcj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to be on the safe side, after the encounter remove the suppressor and put it away. it's not like you are hiding evidence, it's still the same gun. </div></div>

Uh... what?!

Try that and find out how much the police officers and DA like it.

Oh, and think they cant tell? You think the lack of residue on the threads wont be a clue?!

Remember that MOST castle doctrine laws and statutes on self defense in most jurisdictions is an affirmative defense NOT an immunity, so its still a homicide, you may even get charged (depending on local procedure/law), and they still need the evidence to investigate until the DA, grand jury, judge, or jury say otherwise.

I use 2.

Under the pillow: HK P2000sk + AAC EVO-9 CQC

In the closet: PTR91 + AAC SCAR-H with 50rnd drum

I have Castle Doc so I'm not worried...

Aren't preservation and defense basically the same.

Hearing preservation, in this example is part of defense.

Its not worth much but heres my opinion,

Here in MO we have a castle doctorine in whivh the same rights and protections are extended to your vehicle. We also have a Concealed carry permit.

Recently there was an attempted car jacking were the driver was shot twice in the legs, im not sure if this was before or after he shot the first thief in the head(who i believe survived for atleast a couple days) and the second one in the stomach(i think). Both of which were arrested.

The victim that was driving the car has a concealed car permit although one is not needed while inside your car.

The tv media's first question to the police was if charges are going to be pressed agains the victim that deffended himself within his rights and protections garunteed by the castle doctorine, and his right to carry a concealed weapon which doubles up with the castle doctorine because he was im his car.

The police denied that anywould be pressed and that he was completly within his rights.

The thing is that even though he was fully in his rights and using a run of the mill pistol that is widely known as legal. the castle doctorine may not be as widely known but the comcealed carry is. so he was using a basic pistol and carring it under laws/permits that are widely known he was still critized by the media for deffending himself and being shot.

Know what do you think the reaction would be if he was using a suppressor on that pistol that most people are uneducated to thier legality and widely viewed as illegal because of this.

thatx juzt my opinion. The suppressor just makes it LOOK that much worse.

so, to summise, all the "Cons" for using a suppressor in home defense:

-Not much sympathy from people outside of,(or indeed on),gunboards
-Nightly news reporters might speak ill of you
-It looks bad/it's too ninjery
-Cowboy dudes didn't need them
-Doesn't make your gun look appropriately benign
-Prosecutor will ignore any evidence indicative of self defence and lock you up forever and ever amen.

Lots of sound, meaty factual observations there, then.

The pro's:
-protects your hearing from deafening and possibly permanently damaging report in a small enclosed space, (at a time when you might most need it.)
-prevents temporary blindness from muzzle flash,(at a time when you might most need it.)
-allows you to maintain situational awareness because of above (at a time when you might most need it)
-looks ninjery and disbenign.

so, actual, tangable advantages of suppressor use Vs. ignorance about low light shooting in confined spaces, what a suppressor actually does mixed with worry about what "people" will think....

How does castle doctrine pertain to suppressors ? It extends the rights to use lethal force without first attempting retreat and extends the legality of lethal force in use of property as well as life. It recognizes no difference between using a kitchen knife in defense or a suppressed M4.

FWIW:

A clean shoot is a clean shoot.

But people talk themselves into prison.

More than anything work on this: "I was afraid for my life, I want him arrested; I want to speak with my lawyer."

THEN SHUT UP!

BMT

A suppressor takes care of the flash and to the extent of it's capabilities, the sound. How would that not help in a situation where you have intruders in your home, in the dark (presumably) and which is the same area as your family?

Would you not want every opportunity to hear where or how many intruders were in your home in such a situation prior to, during and after shots were fired?

Would you not want to be able to still see/aim effectively after, God forbid, shots were fired in the event that there were more than one intruder?

Would you not want the light on the weapon to identify and, if only momentarily, blind your assailant(s) or more to the point, distinguish family members from foes?

The point is that if you are going to limit your home defense based on public perception or perception of a jury, maybe you shouldn't have any tools, save a hope and a prayer to send to the cops, to take care of the job.

Maybe you should consider a 22 LR so you don't mistakenly give the impression of actually trying to kill an intruder in your home. You can save that evil 45 acp for rangework so that no one can accuse you of being a bad person.
wink.gif