• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Suppressor help. Please

Sgt. 0811

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
Aurora, CO
OK I have started to do this trust thingy. Now
1. What for to use for quicken?
AB Trust
Certification trust
Basic trust

2. Should I name the trust something, like a company name or does it matter?

I know this is the same shit people ask before but I don't know about this crap... thanks

Re: Suppressor help. Please

number 1 is kind of unclear as to what your asking.
on number 2... yes you need to name it.

Make sure a lawyer looks it over to make sure it will hold up with the ATF and your state laws.

I don't know Jack about trusts... so on the quicken program it asks what type of trust and those are the 3 names given.

Consult a lawyer.... this is not something you want to take lightly when dealing with NFA Items.

I don't think the new version of Quicken has the RVT in it any longer.

I just used a lawyer to do mine.

Revocable living trust. It has to be specific to NFA Items. I have heard that a few local people here in South Florida had run into issues from my Class 3 dealer. The ATF held onto their stuff but needed corrected versions of the trust in order to process. I would avoid Quicken or Legal Zoom and just stick to a good lawyer that knows what the hell their doing.

The couple hundred bucks might be worth saving you the pain in the ass later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consult a lawyer.... this is not something you want to take lightly when dealing with NFA Items. </div></div>

This...it will be good money spent on the front end.

I have multiple suppressors and 2 more on the way and nothing is engraved on the can other than the factory serial #. I also have a revocable living trust.

You're joking, right? <span style="font-weight: bold">Don't engrave the can</span>.

The AB trust is a tax planning trust for husband and wife. Not appropriate.

The certification of trust is just an abbreviated description of the trust for showing banks, fiduciaries, etc. Not appropriate.

Hire an attorney to help you with this. I'd do it for you but I don't practice in your state. Good luck!

Confusing. But I guess that's the point... Someone should do a sticky on the details

The shorter the name, the better. I found this out the hard way when I had to put the WHOLE NAME on the suppressor I built. (form one} Almost didn't have room !!
Hope this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you need to name the trust cause it has to be engraved on the can. </div></div>

No sir, that's not correct - no need to engrave the can (unless you're "manufacturing" a Form 1 can, yourself).

Bryon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you need to name the trust cause it has to be engraved on the can. </div></div>

No!

Where in the heck did you hear that?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 737SHARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bull crap suppressor has to be engraved it is considered a nfa firearm nfa must have markings

</div></div>

Engraved from the maker, yes.

Engraved with trust name? No.
He was referring to engraving the name of the trust onto the can, in which you do not have to do.

After more research it seems the only time you have to engrave the trust name on the can is when you built your own can.
Sorry to be so stupid Kim...we cant all be lawyers.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.86th.org/?id=nfa-trust </div></div>

thanks for that link. It isn't the end all be all solution to all the questions a n00b needs, but it helps.
To the OP-
I've started down this path a few times over the last couple years, always to get hung up on the consult a lawyer line that seems to get thrown out whenever you ask a question. Problem is, I haven't found a local lawyer who wants to work with me on this without paying a stupid amount for it.
I've done more digging this time around, have created a trust and feel comfortable that it would be sufficient to get me a stamp, but I'm still tweaking it to try and make it so I don't have to come back and amend it a dozen times in the next couple of years.
Just keep digging around different sites and asking questions. You'll eventually get all the information you need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...we cant all be lawyers.....
</div></div>

Thank God for that. Really.

Another link that has general information that might assist in this area is here: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10857

Another good resource is the ATF itself. The ATF publishes its NFA Handbook and is available online or downloadable complete in pdf form here: http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/

Many people are able to produce their own, valid, living trusts to contain nfa firearms and do so without a hitch. To me, its a little like what changing the oil in my truck might be to a mechanic. Some people (like me for instance) might goof that up but most won't.

Good luck!

I was going to start a new thread to ask this question, but it seems appropriate here since it's the direction the thread has gone.

1. When getting a lawyer, is there a list of good ones? I'd hate to hire a lawyer and then find out he botched it up.
2. Anyone know a good lawyer in the North Carolina area?