• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor over pressure?

Scubamax

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2014
Recently started shooting with a can. Bullet casing after shooting looks like it’s tarnished. What’s going on?

Attachments

• 1F4D6C5D-2DC3-4562-AAB4-8B77D979740E.jpeg
    1F4D6C5D-2DC3-4562-AAB4-8B77D979740E.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 55
Looks dirty which is normal to an extent. These fired in a semi auto?

If so, where was the ejection pattern (3-4 o’clock is normal, indicative of acceptable pressures).

What can are you using?

Factory or hand loads?

Rifle was cleaned hours before these shots. Semi auto ar10. Barnes ttsx factory loads. Dead air sandman. I didn’t notice where cases flew. I was in a box blind. I plan to go to the range soonish.... i have an adjustable gas block. First can on semi auto.

No problem, semi autos and suppressors can be tricky. Adjust your gas block until the ejection pattern is at 3-4 o’clock and watch for pressure signs. If it groups, ejects at 3-4 consistently with none of the usual pressure indicators on the brass you should be fine.

Gas blowback will dirty the brass, esp if the can itself generates lots of back pressure (most do but KAC and SF manage back pressure well at the cost of overall sound suppression)

Reactions: Scubamax
Yup my Rock River LAR8 cases look the same. Running a TBAC Ultra 9 and a tuned Superlative Arms gas block

If you reload, the combo of a gas gun and a suppressor will make you love your brass tumbler.

My rugged surge does that on my 14.5 urgi build with an adjustable block tuned without the can so it's a little gassy