• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor recomendation

jmac1911

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2019
New Hampshire
Hi all! New here and looking for a suppressor recommendation, it will mostly be on a Tikka T3X tac a1 in 6.5 creedmoor and a AR10 in 6.5 as well. I would also like to use it on a 7.62 AR and 5.56. Would love to have one for each, funds will not allow at this time. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi all! New here and looking for a suppressor recommendation, it will mostly be on a Tikka T3X tac a1 in 6.5 creedmoor and a AR10 in 6.5 as well. I would also like to use it on a 7.62 AR and 5.56. Would love to have one for each, funds will not allow at this time. Any help would be appreciated.
Q

If running on an AR in addition to the bolt gun, the LaRue TranQuilo has the least back pressure with minimal difference in effect on how rifle runs can on / can off that I've seen.

Bolt gun only use I'd go TBAC, Mack Bros or Dead Air.

At 23 oz the Larue can is a heavy pig. I favor my lighter cans nowadays over the fat ones.

Thunder Beast (TBAC) seems to get a lot of love on here, but I have 4 Griffin Arms suppressors and they do fine for me. 2 Recce 7's (.30 cal), an Optimus and an Optimus Micro (.22 up to .22-250). Mine are all taper mount instead of direct thread, and it seems muzzle devices from different brands are all proprietary, so once you go with a particular brand you are stuck if you want to use your can on different rifles. At +/- $100 a pop one can soon have a fortune in brakes/mounts in addition to suppressor costs, although not everyone has the rifle HADD that I have.

Thunder Beast (TBAC) seems to get a lot of love on here, but I have 4 Griffin Arms suppressors and they do fine for me. 2 Recce 7's (.30 cal), an Optimus and an Optimus Micro (.22 up to .22-250). Mine are all taper mount instead of direct thread, and it seems muzzle devices from different brands are all proprietary, so once you go with a particular brand you are stuck if you want to use your can on different rifles. At +/- $100 a pop one can soon have a fortune in brakes/mounts in addition to suppressor costs, although not everyone has the rifle HADD that I have.
Thanks for the reply, I watched a video on the Optimus and although it would fit my needs I’m a little concerned about all the pieces, have you had issues with “looseness” going back and forth with different configurations?

At 23 oz the Larue can is a heavy pig. I favor my lighter cans nowadays over the fat ones.

I'm all for lighter cans, I'm also all for not having to putz with an adjustable gas block, buffer weight or have rifle start to malfunction from the extra fouling the higher back pressure cans dump back into receiver. LaRue can on an AR is far and away the best can I've tried on a gas gun.

Bolt gun only use, Ti can from any of the above mentioned suppliers is way to go.

So many good choices! The Dead Air Nomad, Energetic Vox, Griffin Explorr, Q Trash Panda, SilencerCo Omega, TBAC Ultra series and Yankee Hill Resonator all will do a great job. Take a look at the features and try to narrow down what you need or don't need. I would definitely consider installing an adjustable gas block on the semi-autos to properly tune the rifle. A properly tuned rifle will shoot much smoother, reduce wear and tear on components and lessen the gas in the face.

As to the question about the numerous parts of the Optimus, I haven't taken it apart yet. I've just been using it as a rifle can on eveything from .17 HMR to 6.5 CM. The Optimus Micro just stays on my Vudoo for the time being. The Optimus is somewhat longer than the Recce's, so I use them (Recce's) for PRS type shooting and the Optimus on prairie dog rifles. I don't have any threaded pistols to use it on.

Here's a question for @HansohnBrothers, all things being equal, is there less back pressure out of a .338 can on a 5.56 as opposed to a 5.56 can on a 5.56?
In theory yes. The .338 bore should let more gas escape to the front than the .223 bore. However, in your example, the .338 bore will be louder. This would be an interesting experiment.

I use an Ultra 9 on everything you mentioned and its great. I dont over heat it on the AR platforms, but thats not an issue for me.

get a .30 can for the greatest flexiblity, you only lose a few decibels running 6.5 or 5.56

Thunderbeast for a bolt gun only can. Maybe if you can run a semi LIKE a bolt gun and don't shoot too fast or do mag dumps.

Silencerco Omega works great for a bolt & semi can. There may be newer ones that are better, but the Omega has been a great can for me.

TBAC for bolt only though.

Reactions: chickfarmer
get a .30 can for the greatest flexiblity, you only lose a few decibels running 6.5 or 5.56

Thunderbeast for a bolt gun only can. Maybe if you can run a semi LIKE a bolt gun and don't shoot too fast or do mag dumps.

Silencerco Omega works great for a bolt & semi can. There may be newer ones that are better, but the Omega has been a great can for me.

Another vote for the omega my YHM for 30 cal has also been great with 6.5 G gas gun.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers

To be fair, under normal situations, like a 3 gun stage, ti suppressors are completely fine. Think about how many times you've blown through more than 2 mags as fast as possible without stopping. Not often

TBAC is also a good choice for a gas gun depending on how you’re using it. I have one on an AR I use for predator hunting and it’s pretty slick.

I run my ultra 7 fairly hard on my 20 inch ar, I think they re tougher than most people think.
With that said my ultra goes nowhere near my 10.5 inch 556. I just can’t seem to stop shooting that thing until it’s smoking and the can melts everything that looks at it funny. Be smart with the tbac, you won’t break em.

I just got the call today my first one is out of jail, I went with the omega, a friend has one and he likes his, everything I had read it seemed to be a good all around can and I didn't want to be worrying when I put it on my ar, that said if I like this one for 7mms and 308 I will probably get a thunder beast just for my 6.5s

Here's a question for @HansohnBrothers, all things being equal, is there less back pressure out of a .338 can on a 5.56 as opposed to a 5.56 can on a 5.56?
Taking this a step forward, I had a manufacturer (Rex Silentium) make 2 silencers of the same length and width. One is a 5.56 bore and the other is a .338 bore. I should have them next week and maybe test the weekend after.

Silencerco Saker 7.62. It is built like a tank and will last forever.

Stupid quiet on my 8.5” 300 BO shooting 220 grain subs.

OFG

Last edited:
Reactions: TACC
Mack Bothers MB762, good suppression and a really good QD system. I have had the L version for several years and I’ve shot it on my precision bolt guns and ARs and it’s worked very well on everything. Their new Helium might be an option as well.

I have several and I think most folks here are just telling you what they have more than what they recommend.

For instance, I have a Saker too, and it's a really nice can, but it's probably not what I'd recommend unless you wanted a hard abuse military type can. Sico does make good cans in general.

I also have a couple of SDN6's and I wouldn't recommend that one for pretty much every reason EXCEPT how well the can itself actually works. Which is pretty well if you're wondering but the mounts alone do it in, let alone CS and a failing company. So it's not just the can you're shopping for.

Unless you're gonna do mag dumps or fire lots of fairly rapid fire or use on large caliber SBR's, I'd say go with TBAC. Mounts are simple and solid. The 6.5 Ultra 9 will work best on those 6.5's, I have one and I use it on a 20" Grendel and it makes it sound like a poorly suppressed .22 --it's very quiet, very light, very well made. Weight isn't really noticeable on a fairly heavy rifle like mine and most noise comes from the sonic crack. A 30 Ultra 9 would work well too and cover the .308 as well as the 5.56 (and you can always add more later, people rarely stop at one can, just so you know). If the 5.56 will see harder use, TBAC makes a steel hard use can and the Sico Saker is another good hard use can and prices usually aren't too bad, especially when they go on sale. Here a 7.62 Saker would also work since you can get different end caps for the Saker and it's quieter with 5.56 than is the dedicated 5.56 can. So it's flexible. And heavy. KAC makes one of the best all around cans but it's an expensive setup and almost suredly not what you want in your first can.

I have a 30 Ultra 5 also and on a Grendel it takes the noise down to "tolerable" and works really well on .300BLK SBR's. It's nice, but probably not what you want for your first can. I also have a 30CB9, the model prior to the Ultra. It's nice too, not as quiet but it too suppressed the 6.5 well but with a deeper tone, which is what usually happens when you use larger bore cans with smaller bore rifles. Many people prefer the deeper tone. There's also the Ultra 7, 2 inches shorter than the 9. I'd go with the 9 though for pure performance, which is what I'm figuring you're expecting. Most people go for length on later purchases (and then I'd get the 5).

I'd for sure get the TBAC Ultra 9 unless you're gonna be doing mag dumps. You can also ask the mfg. about it, Zak is on here all the time and takes care of members. You won't be let down.

What barrel lengths are we talking about on the gas guns?

I want to thank everyone who gave a suggestion, I purchased two yesterday, a TBAC Ultra 7 that will be dedicated to the 6.5’s and a Dead Air Sandman S to swap around the gas guns. Now the wait begins! Thanks to all!
That sounds like the best choice you could have made.

I want to thank everyone who gave a suggestion, I purchased two yesterday, a TBAC Ultra 7 that will be dedicated to the 6.5’s and a Dead Air Sandman S to swap around the gas guns. Now the wait begins! Thanks to all!
Great choices

Reactions: EastCOYotes
Sorry for the delayed response, actually went with multiple cans, tbac ultra 7 and a Deadair Sandman S. Still doing adjustments on the AR, added an adjustable gas block and haven’t been able to get to the range.