• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor Recommendation for Hunting

I can tell you next week when I get my E-Brake in, just ordered from Dead Air this morning. I will admit I just got a Nomad and Nomad-L after several years of shooting a Hybrid with the 30 cal anchor brake and it is amazing how much quieter they are. I would say that the Nomad is a bit quieter but the Nomad-L is in another class of its own.

On that note does anyone have any direct comparison between the Nomads and the TBAC Ultra series in comparable sizes?
If you could weigh the e-brake when you get it I would really appreciate it! Also would love to know how it performs. My understanding is that the Nomad slightly outperforms the TBAC Ultra 7, but the better comparison is the TBAC dominus since it and the Nomad are bigger diameter suppressors. From what I have found those two should be comparable.

Reactions: Aescobar17
First year using a can, also first hunt with a semi. 400 yds, one shot, dropped like a rock, 80gr. ELD, 224 Valkyrie.
B6F5D7B8-B44A-434E-BAA1-977E5218FB61.jpeg

Last edited:
If you could weigh the e-brake when you get it I would really appreciate it! Also would love to know how it performs. My understanding is that the Nomad slightly outperforms the TBAC Ultra 7, but the better comparison is the TBAC dominus since it and the Nomad are bigger diameter suppressors. From what I have found those two should be comparable.

The weight is 1.5 oz and it adds 1.14” to the length of the suppressor. Total length of the Nomad-L with E-Brake is 9.5” and weighs 19.7 oz. The regular Nomad is 7.6” and 15.7 oz with the E-Brake.

Does anyone have any experience with the Dead Air E-Brake on the end of a Nomad or Nomad TI suppressor?
I am hoping someone has one and can weigh it for me. I contacted Dead Air and they are not able to tell me what it weighs. Also curious if people thought it was a worthwhile add on to the suppressor.
I can tell you next week when I get my E-Brake in, just ordered from Dead Air this morning. I will admit I just got a Nomad and Nomad-L after several years of shooting a Hybrid with the 30 cal anchor brake and it is amazing how much quieter they are. I would say that the Nomad is a bit quieter but the Nomad-L is in another class of its own.

On that note does anyone have any direct comparison between the Nomads and the TBAC Ultra series in comparable sizes?

Sorry, don't have the weight but I do have a video with how it sounds in 6.5 Creedmoor. Specs of the rifle and load on the video.

I've moved towards my Omega 46, not just for hunting but in its versatility. It's pretty cool having my .45-70 lever gun and my .450 Bushmaster hearing safe, then tossing it on any of the .30's as well as a few others. No pictures of anything recent. In fact, the only pic I have with a can is from about 10 years ago with an old AAC 18t 762SD on my Noveske N6 out bear hunting. Old style, heavy and long, but still putting in the work to this day. Apparently I need to start taking more pictures.
BearN6.jpg

Reactions: serevince
The weight is 1.5 oz and it adds 1.14” to the length of the suppressor. Total length of the Nomad-L with E-Brake is 9.5” and weighs 19.7 oz. The regular Nomad is 7.6” and 15.7 oz with the E-Brake.
Thanks! That is exactly what I needed

I have never had a suppressor but have been getting very interested after talking to some people who have them. Most people I know seem to either remove them for hunting entirely or remove them, carry them, and thread back on if there is time. I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a suppressor that is short enough and light enough that they leave on full time while hunting. I don't need anything that is rated for full auto as I will just use it on a hunting rifle. Rated to 300 win mag should be fine as well.

Basically I guess I am looking for recommendations on a suppressor that does a good job with recoil reduction, is as short / lightweight as practical, and reduces noise enough to not be painful to shoot without hearing protection but doesn't have to be the quietest one out there. I know there are trade offs on all of these things so there is no perfect suppressor that has it all, but would appreciate any recommendations in this area.

A few I have looked at a bit: Silencer Co Harvester or Omega, Lifetime silencers Scout or Ranger, Gemtech Tracker.
I use a DDWave and it works well. But the TBAC 9 would be my preference!

I still use plugs (as opposed to plugs and muffs) with all my rifle and pistol cans outside of hunting, even just the sonic crack is more than I like to be repeatedly exposed to. Suppressed rimfire with subs are the only hosts I shoot without ear pro.
I've gone back to light ear pro even for .22 subs. Volume of shooting over time seems to accumulate and I shoot a box or three virtually every day.

Reactions: Gtscotty
I hunt with the Omega. The anchor brake really does give a bit of additional recoil reduction over the flat cap. My only qualm is the mount system, while not bad, isnt as good as some others. A couple other companies make upgrade mount systems for the Omega. The way the carbon builds up you have to be careful remounting the can- you can twist the lock gorilla tight and its still not enough....in which case you launch your can downrange with a new hole in it lol. Ask me how I know. Their CS and warranty are awesome- it even covers stupid and had my can back the next week.

I hunt with the Omega. The anchor brake really does give a bit of additional recoil reduction over the flat cap. My only qualm is the mount system, while not bad, isnt as good as some others. A couple other companies make upgrade mount systems for the Omega. The way the carbon builds up you have to be careful remounting the can- you can twist the lock gorilla tight and its still not enough....in which case you launch your can downrange with a new hole in it lol. Ask me how I know. Their CS and warranty are awesome- it even covers stupid and had my can back the next week.

My main hunting can is an omega with a flat end cap, I use the area 419 hellfire mounting system which is great for bolt guns plus its light weight. The ASR is pure garbage just like the trifecta was.

• Love
My main hunting can is an omega with a flat end cap, I use the area 419 hellfire mounting system which is great for bolt guns plus its light weight. The ASR is pure garbage just like the trifecta was.

I switched to the Hellfire too for bolt guns but still use the old mount on gassers. Griffin and DeadAir make a couple to that may be better for them.

I bought the Dead Air Nomad Ti today. Was really torn between it and the TBAC Dominus, but the 9.6 oz including direct thread insert was the tiebreaker. Now I play the waiting game.

I switched to the Hellfire too for bolt guns but still use the old mount on gassers. Griffin and DeadAir make a couple to that may be better for them.

Deadairs keymo is light years ahead of the ASR, it’s a great system but expensive to fit to your sico products.

I bought the Dead Air Nomad Ti today. Was really torn between it and the TBAC Dominus, but the 9.6 oz including direct thread insert was the tiebreaker. Now I play the waiting game.

I don’t think you could go wrong with either they’re both great. Another plus to the nomad over the dominus is the vast mounting options.

I don’t think you could go wrong with either they’re both great. Another plus to the nomad over the dominus is the vast mounting options.
I am planning to just direct thread with the insert it comes with and leave it on the gun (yet to be purchased). All of the other mount options add a couple oz, which isn't much but I wanted to stay as light as possible, as that is why I chose that suppressor. Do you think there will be any issues doing it that way?

Reactions: Gtscotty
I am planning to just direct thread with the insert it comes with and leave it on the gun (yet to be purchased). All of the other mount options add a couple oz, which isn't much but I wanted to stay as light as possible, as that is why I chose that suppressor. Do you think there will be any issues doing it that way?

Sounds like a plan, also if you want a lightweight muzzle brake taper mount option at some point, super precision concepts makes a Ti copy of the Griffin taper Mount adapter.

Combined with the Griffin Ti minimalist brakes, it would make for a very lightweight full Ti system. I actually have one stashed In a drawer waiting for my soon to be ordered Nomad Ti.... Might need to throw it on the Nomad 30 just try try it out and check fitment thought.

I used the direct thread adapter in my omega for a while but it usually stayed on the barrel when taking the can off, I’ve since switched to the area 419 setup.

I’d personally use the threads on the inside of the can itself the least amount possible to avoid damaging them. The adapter can be replaced a lot easier then the cans threads fixed if they were to be cross threaded or damaged in any way.

I just moved so I was waiting until I changed my driver's license to order a Ti. Just found one in stock at a local store though, so I put it on layaway and will get the wait started in a week or two when I'm able to get into the DMV. Love the feel of it though, looks dimensionally like my Nomad 30, but so light. This will be the first time I've bought a can from a place that has a range and let's you shoot them while you wait, so that will be nice!

I’ve ran my Nomad and Ultra 7 on two similar 24” 6 Creeds with the same ammo shot for shot, but this was about 2 years ago with the Gen I Ultra 7. The new Gen II should be more comparable, if not slightly better performing than the Nomad. On the Gen I Ultra vs Nomad the Nomad was a hair bit more quiet with a slightly deeper tone. Recoil seemed about the same. I’m thinking about snagging a direct thread Ultra 7 Gen II if I feel the need for another lightweight hunting option.

I have never had a suppressor but have been getting very interested after talking to some people who have them. Most people I know seem to either remove them for hunting entirely or remove them, carry them, and thread back on if there is time. I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a suppressor that is short enough and light enough that they leave on full time while hunting. I don't need anything that is rated for full auto as I will just use it on a hunting rifle. Rated to 300 win mag should be fine as well.

Basically I guess I am looking for recommendations on a suppressor that does a good job with recoil reduction, is as short / lightweight as practical, and reduces noise enough to not be painful to shoot without hearing protection but doesn't have to be the quietest one out there. I know there are trade offs on all of these things so there is no perfect suppressor that has it all, but would appreciate any recommendations in this area.

A few I have looked at a bit: Silencer Co Harvester or Omega, Lifetime silencers Scout or Ranger, Gemtech Tracker.

ThunderBeast Ultra 7, you’re welcome

i'll say THANKS when you find me one (please)! oos everywhere i've looked.

I literally get tired of always replying this on other suppressor threads. If you are truly and genuinely interested in buying one but haven't found one, you're not looking hard enough or you're not interested.

Have you called MileHigh? Have you called @HansohnBrothers? Better yet, have you called TBAC themselves? They will find you one. Also, have you posted A WTB here, dealers on here will pop up and get you squared away.

yes i did check around incl the ones above. one just got back to me overnite and i am buying that one. thanks.

ps i wanted (and finally found) the 6.5 version, not the .30.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
My buddy and I hunt with ultra 9s and love them. Last year we had 3 antelope on the ground within 20 mins of opening light. I recommend the 7 for hunting though. I think its the best for hunting with the shorter length. We have both ordered 7s.

Before you buy I would highly recommend diving into Jay’s website. He quite literally created the new industry standard for extreme detail in silencer evaluation and testing and provides much of the information for free in his website and in his Podcast, The Jay Situation.

www.PewScience.com

I’ve learned a ton from him and if you sign up as a member you support furthering his testing and evals of the top tier silencers on the market as well as get the opportunity to talk via email and he will answer any and all questions you have. I recently did this and he helped me find the perfect hunting silencer for my application in the CGS Hyperion K.

Reactions: 30-30
Before you buy I would highly recommend diving into Jay’s website. He quite literally created the new industry standard for extreme detail in silencer evaluation and testing and provides much of the information for free in his website and in his Podcast, The Jay Situation.

www.PewScience.com

I’ve learned a ton from him and if you sign up as a member you support furthering his testing and evals of the top tier silencers on the market as well as get the opportunity to talk via email and he will answer any and all questions you have. I recently did this and he helped me find the perfect hunting silencer for my application in the CGS Hyperion K.
Thanks. I will have to check that out. I already bought one this go around... but there is always next time.

OP mentioned the Gemtech Tracker as one he was considering but after reading through this it doesn't seem like that's a very popular option, just wondering why? I have a Tracker, but it's my only can so I have nothing to compare it to.