• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor recommendation for Lever action rifles

felix5616

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2010
New Hampshire
I have 3 lever action rifles, chambered in .357, 44 mag and 45-70. Is there a suppressor that will handle all these loads?

Reactions: GAl08
Fly45, Dead Air Primal, Silencerco Hybrid 46

I use a dead air primal personally, but any of the above will give good results

If you are going to keep the rifle/pistol you can always have a gunsmith silver solder a sleeve over the end of your barrel and thread it.... a little more expensive that way but would work...

I have 3 lever action rifles, chambered in .357, 44 mag and 45-70. Is there a suppressor that will handle all these loads?
TBAC FLY45, Rugged Obsidian 45, or Dead Air Primal would be your best bets. 👍🏼

You will want a fixed mount for whichever one you go with. You DO NOT run a booster setup on a rifle with a pistol can, it will destroy the can. You can either buy what is called a "fixed barrel spacer", which is just a solid piece of steel that replaces the spring in your booster setup, or you can drop the coin on a true fixed mount that screws into the back of the can and allows you to have a proper blast chamber and will be quieter, and overall lighter and better. It will cost more, but will be better in the long-run.

Reactions: Yondering
Yep, Rugged Obsidian 45 as said above - good balance of price vs performance, and rated as one of the quieter big bore pistol suppressors. Of course you could look at a dedicated SMG can (fixed mount, and generally larger than pistol cans) if you don't want to also use this on a semi-auto pistol, but I'm not as familiar with SMG suppressor options these days so I'll leave it at that.

If you have one of those lever guns shortened at 16" (or even shorter as an SBR - respect!) and want a short compact suppressor, the Obsidian 45 is modular and can be used in a short configuration. It's definitely a bit louder that way though.

One comment for 45/70 use though - Rugged doesn't say in their literature, but having designed and machined a number of F1 cans, and looking at how this one is made, I'd be a little worried about using it with full house 1895 Marlin loads. My guess is that rating is intended for Trapdoor level ammo, which most factory loads are. A few places like Buffalo Bore sell the hotter loads intended only for strong lever guns and Ruger #1s, so use caution if you want to suppress those; they put out a lot more gas volume and pressure at the muzzle.

I think that Fly45 is a great option too, if it's in your budget.

Yep, Rugged Obsidian 45 as said above - good balance of price vs performance, and rated as one of the quieter big bore pistol suppressors. Of course you could look at a dedicated SMG can (fixed mount, and generally larger than pistol cans) if you don't want to also use this on a semi-auto pistol, but I'm not as familiar with SMG suppressor options these days so I'll leave it at that.

If you have one of those lever guns shortened at 16" (or even shorter as an SBR - respect!) and want a short compact suppressor, the Obsidian 45 is modular and can be used in a short configuration. It's definitely a bit louder that way though.

One comment for 45/70 use though - Rugged doesn't say in their literature, but having designed and machined a number of F1 cans, and looking at how this one is made, I'd be a little worried about using it with full house 1895 Marlin loads. My guess is that rating is intended for Trapdoor level ammo, which most factory loads are. A few places like Buffalo Bore sell the hotter loads intended only for strong lever guns and Ruger #1s, so use caution if you want to suppress those; they put out a lot more gas volume and pressure at the muzzle.

I think that Fly45 is a great option too, if it's in your budget.
Rugged rates it as .45-70 safe, just as long as it’s 16” or longer barrel.

IMG_6367.jpeg