• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor significantly reduce recoil?

21Bravo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2008
Jackson, MO
I've been contemplating getting a .308 suppressor but haven't decided to drop the coin yet. I'm trying to gather pros and cons. The only con I can think of his the cost of the suppressor.

I'm not a big dude at 5'10 160lbs. So, even a lighter .308 like an LTR beats me up over a range session when shooting in a t-shirt (I wear a shooting jacket most of the time, but it's baking out right now in Swamp east Missouri). Does a suppressed .308 bolt gun have noticeably less recoil?

I've been in the NFA arena for about 10 years now with MGs and SBRs but suppressors are relatively new territory as MO residents could not own them until Aug 31, 2008. I do have a Trident9 that I run on an M16 9mm.

Thanks,

21Bravo

Re: Suppressor significantly reduce recoil?

I agree with you that a .308 has more recoil than I like. Recoil reduction will be significant with "can". It will make you want to bring more ammo on the next range trip. If you want recoil reduction and can tolerate a muzzle brake I would highly recommend the "Fat Bastard" muzzle brake from Jared Joplin at American Precision Arms. (Jefferson, GA)
Semper Fi

You're adding weight to the gun, so that alone will reduce recoil somewhat. As for pure recoil reduction, a muzzle brake will help you more than a suppressor. When shooting a gun with a brake that acts as a suppressor-mounting interface, recoil will often go up when the suppressor is added. I have several examples of this I use at work. When compared to a bare muzzle, recoil will likely be less with a suppressor (on a fixed-barrel gun, at least).

Watch the video of in this section of Lowlight shooting, he wieghs maybe 125lbs, the recoil is not beating him up because he has a rifle that wieghs 15lbs, and he has perfect form, the cans help but as much as you hope they will, add lead shot to the butt of your HSP stock and install a Limbsaver recoil pad, then sign up for the online training, Jacob and Frank will teach you the Jedi way of bolt action rifles, your groups will shrink, and with practice holes will appear in your scope, you'll never lose sight of your target, watch Frank shoot in this thread.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1875147#Post1875147

takes recoil next to nothing...shoot 100 rounds in a few hours and no bruise!!!!

Your ears feel great too!!!

You'll love shooting with a suppressor. Knocks down the recoil and you don't have to listen to "BOOM" all the time (am I getting old or what?). You'll shoot more because of it, at least I do.

But be careful - they are like potato chips... you can't have just one.

I have a 26" .308 remington. What would be my best option? To go the surefire way and install a muzzle brake and be able to add a suppressor that way or just specifically thread it for any given suppressor that I might get?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B&W21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 26" .308 remington. What would be my best option? To go the surefire way and install a muzzle brake and be able to add a suppressor that way or just specifically thread it for any given suppressor that I might get? </div></div>

Direct thread on cans will be quieter than a can that has some for of muzzle attachment to it.

My suggestion is to have the barrel threaded 5/8 x 24 and have a thread protector made for use when the suppressor isnt attached.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're adding weight to the gun, so that alone will reduce recoil somewhat. As for pure recoil reduction, a muzzle brake will help you more than a suppressor. When shooting a gun with a brake that acts as a suppressor-mounting interface, recoil will often go up when the suppressor is added. I have several examples of this I use at work. When compared to a bare muzzle, recoil will likely be less with a suppressor (on a fixed-barrel gun, at least). </div></div>

What?....a good suppressor is probably the best muzzle brake made....significantly reduces recoil...sorry bud not getting what you are saying here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 21Bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does a suppressed .308 bolt gun have noticeably less recoil? </div></div>

No

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 21Bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does a suppressed .308 bolt gun have noticeably less recoil? </div></div>

No </div></div>

Actually, yes. It certainly will.

My comp reduces recoil a little on my 24-inch .308 bolt gun. My AAC can reduces recoil substantially.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What?....a good suppressor is probably the best muzzle brake made....significantly reduces recoil...sorry bud not getting what you are saying here? </div></div>

I think what he is getting at is that if you attach a silencer to a barrel that already has a muzzle brake installed, then the gases that are normally directed to the sides (or back at an angle) are now contained inside of the can and redirected forward. This reduces the effectiveness of the brake compared to when it is uncovered. If the silencer is not a heavy one, and it covers an effective brake, then it can reduce the effectiveness of that brake.

Ranb

Any suppressor is going to add more weight than a muzzle brake and will also reduce recoil. I have shot a .338 Lapua with no brake, with a brake and with a suppressor. The least recoil is felt with the suppressor. The recoil of a .308 is not very heavy to begin with, but with a suppressor it is more like a .223 without the bang. I have an AAC 762 SD and have one rifle with a flash hider attachment and a second rifle with their newer muzzle brake attachment. I can see little difference when the can is attached, but more recoil when the can is not attached on the flash hider alone.

I have never shot a suppressed weapon that did not have less felt recoil than it did unsuppressed. Your results may vary, but I see a very positive effect with the can on any rifle. Plus, the accuracy of most rifles is enhanced when shot with the suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: divemaverick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any suppressor is going to add more weight than a muzzle brake and will also reduce recoil. I have shot a .338 Lapua with no brake, with a brake and with a suppressor. The least recoil is felt with the suppressor.
</div></div>

I shot a TRG-41 (338 Lapua Mag) without a muzzle brake or suppressor for only 64 rounds then sold it. It was like being in a car wreck when you pulled the trigger.

I shoot a Gemtech HVT (30 cal) with QD on my 308 bolt rifle. Yes, it adds just under two pounds to the rifle but it reduces the 308 to about a 22LR recoil when shooting. I can shoot my 308 all day long with the suppressor on and it has absolutely zero shoulder effect. My advice to you is to spend the coin on the suppressor and you will be glad you did if only for the recoil reduction alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 21Bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does a suppressed .308 bolt gun have noticeably less recoil? </div></div>

No </div></div>

You clearly have never fired a 308 with a suppressor.

My 308 LTR feels significantly better with my 762SD on it compared to without.

My 338rum is a pussycat when shot suppressed. I prefer it suppressed so much I left it in Vegas with my brother where silencer use is legal (use is banned in WA) so I would not have to lug it down there everytime I wanted to use it with the silencer. The same can does nice things for my 308 also.

Ranb