• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

suppressor

jeffhale2

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2010
Hi,
I just bought the Savage Edge XL 308.
Would a suppressor help? Recommendations? I saw a local gun club that installs custom suppressors. Or, does a 308 not kick
enough to worry about it?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: suppressor

Personally I like Tac Ops suppressors however it really depends on exactly what you are looking for in a suppressor. There are lots of good manufacturer out there. As for the recoil factor I wouldn't worry about the 308. It really is a light recoiling round. But there is more to a suppressor then recoil reduction.

Thanks Longshot,
How does a suppressor affect the shot otherwise?
I guess nobody's touching my first thread so as not to get into one of those big ole' long arguments about what's the best ammo. :)

Suppressors have a lot of benefits. The reduce muzzle blast, muzzle flash, and recoil. If all you are after is recoil reduction a muzzle brake will work and be less headache. Like I said before the 308 is not a heavy recoiling round anyway thus I don't see the point in a muzzle brake. But a suppressor is a different story. As for the best ammo, handloads are always the best, however when buying factory ammo your rifle will determine what is best. Remember rifles are like women, they each have their own taste and the only way to figure them out is to take them out a couple of times.

Thanks for the info.
Regarding ammo; I was just looking for suggestions for a sub-match, but still pretty good and accurate ammo.

I really like using a supressor for a few reasons. Recoil, noise reduction help me focus more on my fundamentals. I am recoil sensitive and will develop a flinch. After a box or 2 of ammo even on a 308 bolt gun. I use an SAS 30 cal can. Mine is the plain thread on stainless can. The arbiter is the one I plan to step up to down the road. Its a qd titanium can and is bad ass across the board.

Jeff, there are many suppressor brands makes and models. Some are better than others! I've used and owned alot of them and my favorite is my Tac-30, by far! Tac-Ops' cans are just like their rifles! The performance and fit and finish are the best I've ever used, seen, or heard! I know once I started using a can I could never go back to not using one. If you are lucky enough to live in a place where you can own one, I would get one for sure! Here is a pic of my Tac-30
_DSC0043.jpg

Thanks very much for the info Snyper.
I'll see how it goes with my new toy when it comes in.

Hey Wildcat; cool looking for sure.
As I mentioned to Snyper; I'll try mine out and maybe after
the noise and kick, I might jump right into one of these.
Thanks very much guys for your advise.
I'll be spending most of the rest of my spare time trying
to figure out what ammo to buy. :)

I can barely find any information or pricing for suppressors or silencers. I found impactguns.com, but I didn't find a tac-30. I've seen a number of folks recommend it, but cannot even find the web site for tac-ops or tactical operations. Seems I saw tactical innovations. Same co. ?

Look here....
www.eliteiron.net

Very high quality and very quiet. I have the Bravo 30 on my FN/SPR and am extremely pleased with it. People think I'm shooting a .22 long rifle.
Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff_savage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can barely find any information or pricing for suppressors or silencers. I found impactguns.com, but I didn't find a tac-30. I've seen a number of folks recommend it, but cannot even find the web site for tac-ops or tactical operations. Seems I saw tactical innovations. Same co. ?
</div></div>

For pricing on Tac Ops cans you need to contact Mike directly (310-275-8797). Mike is a super nice guy and makes himself available for a large portion of the day.

I'll second the AAC can's, I have one in 7.62SD, basically the same as the cyclone but quick attach.

it's a great can, I've shot it next to a few different suppressors and it is definitely quiter. But everyone will say that their's is the best. Take a look at a few different things when you purchase on. Db rating, and weight. The 762sd also has a break so when you have the suppressor off you still have a break on your weapon. It's a nice advantage. Bryan at Major Malfunctions will have the drop on things. He's good!

Another suggestion is to buy the biggest can you are going to put it on, say if you think you'll be shooting a 223 and 308 but decide that you might pick up a 338 in the future, but the 338 can and use it for everything smaller, unless you have a lot of money, which I don't. Always plan ahead.

xdeano

Thanks very much for the good info folks. Still seems odd to me that prices and manufacturers don't pop right up when I Google for suppressor or silencer.
I imagine that you can't talk pricing here, but what's the general ballpark for a good model ? I think I saw something like 7 or 8 hundred for one of them. Seems pretty high to stick onto a $300 gun. I guess the same might go for scopes, eh?

Hi xdeano,
I'm guessing that quick attach is a non-screw on? I'm also guessing that it's possible to do that way because the brake is already screwed on? Neat idea though to have both.

You can find a list of links at http://www.silencertests.com/links.htm The forum at SilencerTalk is also a good place for advice even though it is owned by an employee of AAC.

I have a Savage 10fcm that only weighs about 6.5 pounds. The recoil is sharp and I wear a pad if I shoot it more than ten times.

I make my own silencers as a hobby on my lathe, so I am not able to give good advice on which one to buy. But I can say that any 308 silencer is going to greatly reduce recoil and noise. I live in WA where use is banned, so I am only able to enjoy using my suppressed firearms when I travel out of state. The 308 can I made for my 308win and 338rum does an amazing job at taming blast and recoil.

Attaching the silencer is a muzzle brake is a convienient way to ensure it is mounted correctly. While muzzle brakes used to attach silencers are usually too slim to make very effective brakes, if you live in a state that allows use, then there is no reason you should not shoot it suppresssed all the time.

Ranb

Jeff the QD setups still screw on but they are designed around a muzzle device that has a very course set of threads and a different retention system from the traditional screw on type. The advantage you get from a QD setup is less turns in order to lock the suppressor in place. Where as it takes a minute to thread on a screw on type suppressor. Personally for a bolt gun I don't see much need for QD, but like I said before it is all about what YOU want in your can.

I'd love a can, but I can see it's out of the budget right now. Some day though....
I was going to ask questions about cleaning kits, but I did enough reading to realize that there's too many opinions on that. I'm just going to buy one and I suspect the best thing about any brand is to be sure to use it.
Thanks everybody.