• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressors and accuracy

eyehunter92

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2011
USA
I recently put together a Savage MKII TRR-SR and an Advanced Armament Pilot 2 Suppressor. 5 Shot Groups with GemTech 42gr. solids at 1025fps are as follows @50 yds:
W/ Thread Protector 0.5"
W/O Thread Protector 0.262"
W/ Can attached .75"
W/ Can and rubber O ring as washer 0.3"

Q: What is best material b/w can and barrel?

Re: Suppressors and accuracy

None is the correct answer . to use between Mating barrel & suppressor Shoulders .

Did you shoot multiple groups to confirm that these results were not shooter or ammunition related?

We've noticed eccentric baffle geometry in subsonic calibers especially, can be a source of accuracy loss and POI shift.

That's why our Checkmate II doesn't have eccentric baffle geometry. So far every report and experience has been greater accuracy of the host weapon with the Checkmate II attached.

Does your thread protector have a false muzzle? An eccentric aperture would be about the only reasonable explanation for accuracy loss with the thread protector attached VS blind muzzle with bare threads.

If your thread protector has a false muzzle, it would seem that your barrel thread may be eccentric in relation to the bore. Accuracy loss is one of the symptoms of this condition.

What you are experiencing is due to barrel harmonics.
This is why bedding kits of 10/22s are often “tuneable”.
They allow the user to vary the amount of pressure under the barrel support pad.

The suppressor has to change the harmonics, just as the nut would correct?

Can i put a washer I b/w barrel and suppressor?

I would guess that bedding would help?

I doubt these group results..

that is all..

But if you do have a trr, good for you that is a good rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eyehunter92</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The suppressor has to change the harmonics, just as the nut would correct?

Can i put a washer I b/w barrel and suppressor?

I would guess that bedding would help?

</div></div>
Putting anything between the suppressor and the barrel is always a terrible idea.
It is just begging for a baffle strike or at a minimum, ununiform gas flow inside the can.

Bedding the rifle is the best place to start.
With rimfires, bedding is more about the harmonics than anything else.

I'm unfamiliar with bedding the Savage Mark II, but I would poke around Rimfire Central to see what others are doing.

Many years ago, when I worked for a Class II, I experimented with the first generation AAC Pilot on my Connecticut Precision Chamberings custom 10/22. This gun would hold 10 shot .5" groups at 50 yards all day long. But with the Pilot, it was more like 1.25" with same ammo and conditions. I figured it was the tiny, highly efficient suppressor that created lots of turbulence that ruined the accuracy. Others have told me that they do not experience the same issues. So I am at a loss.

But I never got a .22lr suppressor for myself. I have an old AAC Phantom 9mm suppressor (full-auto rated SMG/Beretta 92 can) that I shoot .22lr through. It's kind of big for a .22, but it is EXTREMELY quiet and accuracy of the host is unaffected. But it fills up with crud and is a bear to clean as it is a sealed can. After a while, it weighs too much for the Beretta to cycle.

So I am now looking at purchasing or building on Form 1 a large volume .22lr suppressor - full-auto capable - that can be disassembled for cleaning. I'd like to be able to use it with my LM7 belt-fed .22lr upper on my M16 and also on my custom 10/22. My idea is for the suppressor to be fairly large by today's standards, and thus not as efficient, and I hope this will not adversely affect accuracy.

Thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colt933</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thoughts? </div></div>

My thoughts are that we are achieving excellent groups with normal .22lr suppressors.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I shot the 5 on top at 50yds unsuppressed. The bottom 5 with the Checkmate II QD. (there was some wind for the first group) I took a break, had a few brats and beers with friends, and shot the second 5 after lunch and the wind was lower. 541T with Llija barrel Falcon scope 16x Harris bipod/sandsock. I think the second group is ~1MOA, and shift is ~1.5MOA down with this snap on suppressor/ barrel thread combo </span>
310307_10150445723674569_172008254568_10876924_6788433_n.jpg

A customer shot these 3 round groups at 25 yds INDOOR with his ruger 22/45 suppressed and unsuppressed (Checkmate II Thread mount) The smaller group might be close to 1MOA!- the shift is ~1.5MOA down.
304776_10150460168624569_172008254568_10973680_4149398_n.jpg

A customer shot these groups INDOOR 25yds comparing his Liberty suppressor to his Checkmate QD upgraded to Checkmate II baffles:
268003_10150371478729569_172008254568_10085956_3051930_n.jpg

The last guy seems to show better accuracy with our suppressor than Liberty and the Liberty unit is a thread mount- ours in his case is a snap on QD unit.

It does however look like he may have had a little parallax in his optic at 25, because his groups aren't all the same POI even unsuppressed.

Ok, I will take out washer. And rebed then shoot groups again.