• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors suppressors and barrel length

42N8 1

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Idaho
THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
Not to familiar with suppressors so I will attempt to explain my question. Does the addition of a suppressor to your rifle barrel increase the distance or range of the round and velocity or does it decrease everything? The reason I am wondering is that I would eventually like to get one for a custom rifle. I am trying to determine what barrel length for my rifle if I should go with a 22 in and the addition of the suppressor would increase the rounds effectiveness or should I go with a 24 in to get the the extra velocity if the suppressor does not add anything.

Re: suppressors and barrel length

The suppressor will not increase range or velocity, it will not decrease it either. It will change your barrel harmonics though when shooting suppressed vs unsuppressed causing you POI to shift. I would suggest going with a slightly shorter barrel to get less shift when shooting suppressed vs unsuppressed. The shorter barrel will result in less vibration.

I agree with both and shorter barrel does help control the barrel harmonics due to the extra weight. My suppressor also cause suppressor push and increases my fps by around 30.

for target shooting with the occasional hunt.
26'?24"?22"?
whats is prefered?

20" shoots better than my 24" and as mentioned gain in fps by about 20-25fps depending on load.

i have a 20" threaded .308
but also have a 26" .260 i plan to thread, but not sure if i want to cut it down.

On average I see a 15-20fps increase in velocity at the muzzle when shooting suppressed with my current load and rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MCF-EDDIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #CC0000">The suppressor will not increase range or velocity</span>, it will not decrease it either. It will change your barrel harmonics though when shooting suppressed vs unsuppressed causing you POI to shift. I would suggest going with a slightly shorter barrel to get less shift when shooting suppressed vs unsuppressed. The shorter barrel will result in less vibration. </div></div>

That's not accurate information. The suppressor often will INCREASE your velocity some as it adds pressure to the weapon system.

I always shorten my barrels for suppressor use or the gun can be very unweildy with them on. You will get a very slight increase in FPS.

Some do and some do not increase FPS.
It depends on how tight the bore is on the suppressor.

There are several factors that come together.
Barrel Harmonics
Barrel Droop
Freebore Boost

Barrel length and profile combined with these factors determine the effect.