• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressors legal in Michigan: It's about time

John L

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
MI
As I said About time:

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164--261765--,00.html

Michigan.gov Home AG Home

Schuette: Federally Registered Noise Suppressors Permitted Under State Law
Agency: Attorney General

LANSING - Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette today issued a formal Attorney General Opinion stating that State law allows the use of noise suppressors by private citizens when authorized by the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

"Michigan citizens who comply with federal firearm regulations can use suppressors to protect their hearing and minimize noise disruptions in the surrounding areas," said Schuette.

Schuette concludes in Attorney General Opinion 7260 that only Michigan residents in full compliance with federal laws may possess a federally-registered suppressor, also commonly referred to as a muffler or silencer. Possession of a suppressor without the proper federal authorization remains a five-year felony under Michigan law.

Although suppressors do not completely eliminate the sound of a firearm, they do reduce the noise associated with gunfire in a manner similar to how a muffler reduces exhaust noise from a motor vehicle. Suppressors protect shooters' hearing and also reduce noise complaints from neighbors in the vicinity of firearm use, whether it is near a shooting range or hunting property. Thirty-seven states currently allow private ownership of suppressors, including Ohio, Indiana and Wisconsin.

"Noise suppressors are a useful tool for Michigan firearms enthusiasts and the rigorous federal licensing process serves as a safeguard to ensure only law-abiding citizens can be in possession," said Marquette County Sheriff Michael Lovelace.

"Michigan joins the majority of states allowing noise suppressors for lawful firearms users while continuing to afford law enforcement the ability to prosecute those who break the law and place public safety at risk," said Hillsdale County Prosecutor Neal Brady.

"The use of suppressors will help keep the peace in areas of lawful firearm use," said Barry County Sheriff Dar Leaf. "While you can never completely silence a firearm, muffling the sound will be appreciated by neighbors in the vicinity of lawful firearm use."

"We thank Attorney General Schuette for this well-reasoned opinion, which will allow Michigan residents to possess suppressors in compliance with federal law," said Chuck Cunningham, NRA-ILA Director of State and Local Affairs. "Noise suppressors are an effective means of reducing hearing loss among shooters, and we are pleased that shooters in Michigan, like those in 38 other states, will now have the freedom to choose these useful safety devices."

"Attorney General Bill Schuette has now brought us into the mainstream by issuing an opinion allowing law abiding citizens of the State of Michigan to own sound suppressing devices for their firearms," said Joel Fulton, President of the Southside Sportsman Club. "It is considered rude to your neighbors to make excessive noise that disrupts their peace and quiet. We have mufflers on just about everything to reduce noise pollution."

It is the Attorney General's duty "to give his opinion upon all questions of law submitted to him by the legislature or either branch thereof, or by the governor . . . or any other state officer" (MCL 14.32). To fulfill that duty, Attorney General Schuette issues informational letters as well as formal Attorney General Opinions in response to requests from the legislature, state agencies, and the governor.

Attorney General Opinion 7260 was issued at the request of Senator Rick Jones, Senator Tonia Schuitmaker, Representative Mark Meadows, and Representative Kevin Cotter.

Re: Suppressors legal in Michigan: It's about time

That's good news. Welcome aboard. Are you going to be able to use them for hunting?

I wish MN would get on board...

Congrats, a great win.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's good news. Welcome aboard. Are you going to be able to use them for hunting? </div></div>

Don't know yet the opinion just came down today. Lot's of pressure has been put on our Gov. and AG for this. Guess this is what happens when the Dems. get sent packing. I have never thought of using them for hunting, would just like to have one because up until now they, (the govt here) said I could not.

Ok, so where do we get the forms we need? Its time to stimulate the MI economy

Finally, guess I dont have to rule out Michigan as potential places to look for a job now.

While I am happy for my neighbors to the north, I can't help but cringe as I think about the extra wait times this is going to cause at the NFA branch, they are fucking crazy now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's good news. Welcome aboard. Are you going to be able to use them for hunting? </div></div>

The only thing I've been able to find on this is a sentence in the DNR hunting guidebook. It says that tracers, exploding shells and silencers can't be used for hunting because they are illegal.

Now that cans are legal, the DNR will have to issue one of their "administrative rulings".

I've never let myself get too interested in suppressors since I had no chance of ever getting one anyways. Besides the Hide is there any other sites or even great old posts here on the Hide you guys know of that can help me learn and research suppressors?
I got on hoping to find a sticky at the top..."All you need to know about suppressors." Not talking which one is best more wondering how they affect life of the barrel/gun, types, cleaning, mounting and all that.

And yes I will enjoy pouring through the suppressor section here in the coming days learning all I can. Like someone else posted in another forum...How many days anymore do you wake up and actually have a little more freedom!!? A great way to start a long Holiday weekend!!

Congratulations to you and the State of Michigan, <span style="font-style: italic">John L</span>. Thats' great news and will make Tac Ops owners in Michigan very, very happy.

Sadly, there are still 12 holdout States, California being one of them.

Keith

Suppressors have always been legal in Michigan under a strict interpretation of the State statute, provided one obtains the correct federal paperwork. That's one reason why Classes II and III could have them.

The problem for the average guy was getting the ATF to agree to issue the Form 4 to private individuals without an opinion by the AG that the state government considers suppressors to be legal for private ownership (and therefore that the State won't attempt to prosecute).

The recent opinion just confirms that they're now considered legal by the AG, under the same statute as speaks to full-auto ownership and consistent with a former AG opinion on full-auto ownership, so that's the green light for the ATF to issue Form 4s to individuals.

Here's my former post on the topic:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...082#Post1365082

I'm on this like a bum on a baloney sandwich. I want to have moved on thus by the end of the week.

Congrats MI
now fingers crossed and....
C'MON Minnesota!!! I love this state but after WI just legalized CCW, I may just move east a bit... MN still has no cans allowed, a hollywood misconception was brought on and hammered home by more hippie politicians that have no clue wtf they are talking about...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally, guess I dont have to rule out Michigan as potential places to look for a job now. </div></div>

LOL let me know if you find a good job here. I have been looking for 3 years.

Nice! wish I could find a job back in Michigan. Hopefully things change after I retire. I miss that place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPierce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GREAT NEWS....I will be hard at work next week making them!!!!! </div></div>

Well since you are going to be making them are you going to have a deal going if we buy them from you there will be a discount to have the barrel threaded to match your suppressor perfect? Also are the ones your going to be making going to have an intigral brake?

I say we get a group buy going for us Michigan guys, it's been a long time coming.....Vendors represent. I need one for a 300WM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPierce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GREAT NEWS....I will be hard at work next week making them!!!!! </div></div>Excellent! That can you had at ASC was very, very nice.

So, yeah, I moved from one no-suppressor state to another, but --Hurray!-- things got fixed! Time to scour all of those "newbie buying a suppressor" threads...

Just stopped by Michigan Police Equipment Company on Lansing Rd in Lansing (actually in charlotte I believe, but it's VERY close to lansing). They will sell and do transfers of suppressors to civilians. They have been a Class 3 dealer for quite a while.

I think having a buy for Mi residents would be great... Tis been a long time comming!!!

Give me an idea on how many particients we may have wonting and what you have in mind for a discount?

No, not planning on integeral break... I find that once in place you really do not wish to take it off...However you may wish to have a thread protector or an evil break to put in its place!

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPierce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think having a buy for Mi residents would be great... Tis been a long time comming!!!

Give me an idea on how many particients we may have wonting and what you have in mind for a discount?

No, not planning on integeral break... I find that once in place you really do not wish to take it off...However you may wish to have a thread protector or an evil break to put in its place!

John
</div></div>

John,
I am in the process of getting my duck's lined up. Was going to call you and see where I could find some info. on your supressors. Maybe even stop by (I have to be in Lansing on Mon.) A group buy might be something I am interested in.

John

John is a real buys man, and is about to get a whole lot busier. He contacted me earlier and during the conversation, we thought a group buy would be in order to celebrate our new found freedom.

Testing has been done with these, and they are quite, among the quietest I have heard at any match/shoot.

Jim is gonig to send me a spec sheet on these, and I am going to announce a group buy for these, with dealer pricing. As soon as I get all the information, I will post it in the group buy thread.

I know there will be some questions that I can not answer, but will be in touch with John, so he can jump in when needed. This will not be limited to Michigan residents, but will help us Michigan folks a good deal on a good can from an outstanding local company.

Stay tuned.

John P- Thanks for thinking up the group buy idea! I had you guys thread and mount a break on my .300WM in the winter- I'd certainly be interested in the group buy. Depending on price and specs, I'd be interested in at least 1 .300 Magnum- rated, 1 .223 and 1 straight .308.

That would keep the bolt guns happy anyway- The intent is to run a surefire can for my AR's and I haven't even given any thought to pistols yet.

cant wait to get a suppressor for my 50!

So if we buy one from the group buy does that cut down on the wait time since he is the manufacturer and is in MI?

FANTASTIC! I will happily give back some of my federal tax return for this, to the ATF anyway. Count me in for the group buy as well, any chance on a Multi-Cal, the Remmy .308 would be happy to share with my 5.56?

Shoot me a pm when you are all set for the group buy!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats Michigan! +1

GO BLUE! </div></div> +1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats Michigan! +1

GO BLUE! </div></div> +1 </div></div>

BULLY - could you please pay us the $2157 you owe us for that nightforce scope and rings from August 2010?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EuroOptic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats Michigan! +1

GO BLUE! </div></div> +1 </div></div>

BULLY - could you please pay us the $2157 you owe us for that nightforce scope and rings from August 2010?</div></div>

Bully, you have a PM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Bully, you have a PM. </div></div>

I smell Hide Justice a happening.

Any news from John on the group buy? Also would there be a deal for MI residents for him to fit his suppressor to the rifle?

Hey guys. I just noticed on Barf15.com that they are compiling a good guy list of sheriffs that will sign off on the forms. Check it out or ad to it!!!