• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Supreme 780, 180 JLK's & a 7 WSM

95LTZ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2003
Ft. Pierce, Fl
Like most I wanted an accurate load but with good velocity. In the past I was able to get 7 WSM to shoot quite well. Then the phase hit where I was having trouble finding a load that would give me both accuracy & velocity. None of the usual powders were giving me the results I was looking for. This new rifle was showing pressure signs with early with the "favorite" powders. I had a 1 lb. of Win. Supreme 780 on the shelf so I decided to try it. I am very glad I did. good accuracy with a small (5 shot) sample of 3008 fps. I need to do more testing as 5 rds. isn't much but it is a step in the right direction. I tried both Fed. 215 Mag Match & standard Fed. 210's. This rifle liked the FGMM primers best.
Semper Fi

Re: Supreme 780, 180 JLK's & a 7 WSM

The only issue with spherical powders is they are temp sensistive. If you're shooting these in warm temps now, and shoot them in winter, your results may/will vary. The velocity you gained in the heat will decrease in the cold. So, it's a trade off. Slower powders like R22, H1000, and Retumbo would work well.

Re: Supreme 780, 180 JLK's & a 7 WSM

Just to note: I've found RL-22 to be temp sensitive and RETUMBO I have seen a little temp sensitivity, but not much. Much like Varget, not as stable as H4350.