• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Supressed 10 build

Zice

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2011
Well, first let me thank everyone for all the good information and knowledge that I've been able to read on these forums.

With that said, I recently purchased a 30 cal YHM can for my 6.8, and it gave me a need for less speed. I have an old hand me down Savage 10 243 that is ready for a facelift, and I want to build a sub-sonic 308 out of the old bag of bones.

I have many guns in many different calibers but until my AR I've never built a gun and from what I've gathered a savage is a fairly easy bolt gun to build. Also, before I forget I want this gun to be under 12lbs because I plan to use this for more than a bench gun.

So can anyone give me a little guidance toward this build, here are some things that I have had in mind (feel free to offer other options):

-B&C Medalist
-Large Bolt Handle
-Short Threaded 308 bull Barrel (thinking 20'' or less)(Not Heaviest Contour)
-YHM brake
-Good budget glass thinking SS 10x

Anyone have a build similar to this, and want to share any input or photos to get me moving along? Also, will I need a faster twist barrel to shoot sub rounds, and will I be able to find a happy ground to shoot the occasional cheap ammo which wont be subsonic aswell?

Thanks in advanced.

Re: Supressed 10 build

Any good manufacturers to look at? I haven't found any under 20''. Thanks

yup. plenty of premium barrel makers too with prefits. easy to do barrel swaps with just wood blocks, a vise and barrel nut wrench. your list sounds right on track. a few guys on here will mod your bolt handle for a decent cost. the big 110ba model is only $65 at midway. 18" is plenty. mine is standard 24" and i wish it was 18" but i want to shoot more with it before i cut it. keep your eyes peeled on the optics for sale area

I recommend having some kind of budget in mind. I am building a 300 WSM and it sure is easy to rack up a bill fast. I am already about 75% over what I projected, mostly because I 'needed' this or that. Could have gone a little less expensive but I got the fever. Now trying to sell more stuff to justify the build in my mind. Went with the 'buy once cry once' mentality. Will let you know when I'm done crying.

if you're going to be shooting mainly subsonics, i would look at a 1-8" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">go 18" and 1 in 10 twist, in the Savage factory varmint contour.. </div></div>

+1 to this... I went to 16" with mine but 18" is good too. Mine is still the factory barrel cut down. Since you made reference to shooting full power ammo occasionally, I'd stick with the 10 twist. It will stabilize subsonic 208 AMAX loads (which are quite accurate), so I haven't had the need to try anything heavier.

Like I said this will mainly be a subsonic gun, the main reason for the build is to have a movie-like quiet gun. Its gotta be accurate aswell, because I will hunt with this on occasion. I may have stressed on the fact that I want to shoot bulk ammo more than I meant to (this is a bolt gun so I really wont be blasting away with it). I would like to keep in the 16-18'' but the 20'' barrels Im finding for around $150 compared to the $3-500 ones at the length I want is a little discouraging.

Really appreciate all the input though guys, keep it coming.

I see nothing wrong with your shopping list. I would hang on to the factory barrel and shoot it until it won't hit anything. Check with sinarms for the cut and recrown situation. He is good people.

Get that puppy put together and post some pics!!

DK