• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Surefire 7.62 rc or thunder beast 30cb9?? Help!

jboyright

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2014
Charlotte NC
Ok guys I am in the market for a 30cal can.. I'd like it to be some type of QD. So I can switch back from my 6.5cm bolt action to a 308 lmt. Without sacrificing accuracy on my bolt gun. It seems the thunder beast would provide a tighter lock up system due to the tapered uploadfromtaptalk1405400856092.jpg mounting system. However I currently own a SF socom rc in 556 and I have noticed no lost in accuracy. If anyone could share there thoughts or has experience with a QD set up on there bolt action would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My vote is for the TBAC. Nice brake when the can is off and limited effects on accuracy with the can on in my experience.

Last edited:
One benefit of the Surefire is being able to use it in on your 556-rc mounts as well.

If you ever envision using it on a semi-auto platform then I would lean more towards the SF. Based on your description for use being bolt guns, I would go TBAC.

I currently have a 762-rc and love it, but now have a 30CB9 on order for my bolt guns. The TBAC can will be lighter and I'm assuming/hoping will be quieter.

For a couple of bolt guns I would go with Thunderbeast and a direct attach. Takes a whole 6 more seconds to put it on or take it off.
I agree however.. I manly want the qd system for ease in the field and not having to keep up with thread protectors. When switching weapon systems and the 308 lmt is a ar10 platform.

One benefit of the Surefire is being able to use it in on your 556-rc mounts as well.

If you ever envision using it on a semi-auto platform then I would lean more towards the SF. Based on your description for use being bolt guns, I would go TBAC.

I currently have a 762-rc and love it, but now have a 30CB9 on order for my bolt guns. The TBAC can will be lighter and I'm assuming/hoping will be quieter.
Sucks I already purchased a 556 can. But I wanted a deciated 556 suppressor for my Mk18uploadfromtaptalk1405435893016.jpg so for accuracy you think the thunder beast would be the way to go? I like the surefire however my concern there is accuracy being the type of attachment system that it is. What are your thoughts? And the 308 lmt is a semi

Last edited:
Sucks I already purchased a 556 can. But I wanted a deciated 556 suppressor for my Mk18View attachment 43194 so for accuracy you think the thunder beast would be the way to go? I like the surefire however my concern there is accuracy being the type of attachment system that it is. What are your thoughts?
Also.. the 308 lmt is a ar10 platform. So this would be going from bolt to semi!

Sucks I already purchased a 556 can. But I wanted a deciated 556 suppressor for my Mk18View attachment 43194 so for accuracy you think the thunder beast would be the way to go? I like the surefire however my concern there is accuracy being the type of attachment system that it is. What are your thoughts? And the 308 lmt is a semi

Surefire cans are pretty accurate. I wouldn't be concerned about the mount. I ended up buying both because I wanted the ruggedness of SF for heavy battle rifle classes (SR25) and I recently bought the TBAC to be a tad lighter and I presume quieter.

I have no hands on experience with the TBAC yet, but I really like how there is minimal blowback with the SF when shooting semi.

You can't go wrong with either.

Surefire cans are pretty accurate. I wouldn't be concerned about the mount. I ended up buying both because I wanted the ruggedness of SF for heavy battle rifle classes (SR25) and I recently bought the TBAC to be a tad lighter and I presume quieter.

I have no hands on experience with the TBAC yet, but I really like how there is minimal blowback with the SF when shooting semi.

You can't go wrong with either.
Rodger that man.. I appreciate your advice!

It seems the thunder beast would provide a tighter lock up system due to the tapered mounting system. However I currently own a SF socom rc in 556 and I have noticed no lost in accuracy.

Have you noticed that your SOCOM can is loose on the mount?

Yes twisting left to right. And while it's very minimum! That's was my concern for accuracy, but it doesn't seem to be a issue.

Hmmmmm?

My 762-rc cans are rock solid on all of my mounts. Even when I put the 762-rc on my 5.56 mount there is movement. (I'm running all brakes).

Just got a repair quote from surefire on a socom mini 762. My fault for the baffle strike (let a friend mount it, gah) but jeez, 600.00.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. But as for accuracy, I've never experienced anything with SF to warn me off. Personal experience so take it however you want - I've been impressed with mine from the perspective that I have next to no POI shift between can on and can off; at least not enough shift to make a difference out to about 200 yds (I haven't tested the spread beyond that). That goes for both my 762SS I run on a .300 win mag and my socom RC on 556. In fact, I would argue that I get better groups on the .300 when I run the can. I prefer and run mine with brakes, as opposed to FHs. I thought about trying some other manfuacturers which run cheaper and arguably will produce same results, but I've just never had a problem with what I have. I like my 762SS so much I ordered another for a .308 over the newer socom. I know people will think that's stupid, but I just wanted to able to swap across platforms, and I've already committed to the older mounts.