• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Surefire 762SS suppressor info

m1ajunkie

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Boise, ID
I have been doing lots of reading for the past few weeks as I am planning to make my first suppressor purchase in the next month.

I have read a lot of reviews saying to stay away from surefire suppressors, mainly due to the price. Most say that better suppressors are out there for less money.

I would like to know, if the sure was in the same price range as an aac 762 suppressor, or the $1000 range, would it be a more popular choice? While the surefire cost more money, I see this as a lifetime purchase so a little extra money now would be worth it if the surefire would make for a better can over time.

I have heard several SF 762ss suppressors on bolt guns in calibers from .308 to .260, and everyone I heard was hearing safe in an open enviroment and that is what I am looking for. I really like the reflex design as this will be used on a .308 ar, and the mounting options seems to be very solid which would work well on a precision rifle. When I get my .308 suppressor, my .308 ar will be suppressed almost 100% of the time so poi shift isn't a huge concern assuming it is repeatable.

Just looking of user feedback on surefire 762ss suppressors, please don't debate the price issue as paying for something that truly is a better option is something I am comfortable with.

Re: Surefire 762SS suppressor info

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you considered a Thunderbeast 30P-1 suppressor? I share the opinion that SureFire suppressors are <span style="font-style: italic">stupid</span> expensive, and not because I don't own one.

http://thunderbeastarms.com/products/30p-1 </div></div>

The TBAC .30cal offerings are on my list as well. I am actually interested in the 30BA, the new brake attach suppressor. In the future this will be used on 2 different precision .308 rifles so I really prefer some type of mount instead of a thread on suppressor.

In addition to the surefire and tbac suppressors, I am looking at the aac 762sd and 762sdn-6.

I love surefire cans. the Marine Corps uses them on their sniper rifles and some units have them on their M4s. I personally own the SF762SS and the MINI. If you read up on SF you will find that one person starts the can and the same person finishes the can with an inspection at every stage of the process. these are not assembly line cans and like you said they are an investment and a SF can will last a lifetime. I do not work for them or receive any benefits for promoting them, this is your decision to make however, I love SF cans and that is why I have 2.
good luck in your search

I agree the SF is a solid can built for a life time. Being the choice of the Marines certainly is a positive reference. When I researched getting my present precision bolt gun many builders indicated they thought the SF was probably the best out there. These are some of the reasons I had the SF brake put on when they built it and I subsequently got the SF FA762SS.

Just make sure your gunsmith is an excellent machinist because the brake takes a fair amount of machining to put on, depending on your barrel. Also there are two different brakes for the bolt gun and the AR-10.

I agree a lifetime purchase I am not going to quibble much about the bucks. That all said, expect many anti SF posts, because cans are such an emotional topic apparently to others.

Also, hearing safe for any can shooting supersonic bullets is probably a myth. There are lots of threads on this, but you might want to still consider putting some plugs in the ears. Especially with the AR. Go a head and search here:

Snipershide Search engine

OP,

If you have any technical type questions go ahead and shoot me an email or pm and I will try to get you any info you need.

Chuck

Evidently the 7.62SS will no longer be available for civilian purchase and there is a design change for the one's available for civilians.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Evidently the 7.62SS will no longer be available for civilian purchase and there is a design change for the one's available for civilians. </div></div>

Not attacking you, but you wouldn't happen to have a link to this info? This is the first I have heard that, and if true I may push up my purchase as the Surefire is the only reflex can I am interested in purchasing.

I am looking at the FDE version, so I really hope it will be available for at least the next month or so.

As far as my comment about hearing safe, I plan to wear a set of plugs anyway in addition to the suppressor, but the 762ss's I have heard were not bad on the ears at all, and to me almost all centerfire cans sound the same with the exception of what I would call "tone".

I called SF and that's what I was told. They are just filling mil contracts w/ the previous design. The newer one is very similar but I believe the locking collar is a little different!

M21Tactical Writes: "Just make sure your gunsmith is an excellent machinist because the brake takes a fair amount of machining to put on, depending on your barrel. Also there are two different brakes for the bolt gun and the AR-10."

I have installed these brakes on factory rifles with no gunsmith needed.
SF makes a 5/8-24 flash hider mount and a 5/8-24 brake mount. The inside diameter is .775. These brakes go on either a bolt or a gas gun. Any gunsmith worth a shit can mount either, it is no problem.
SF makes a 3/4-24 brake mount for the M110 and any gunsmith worth a shit can put one of these on a bolt gun.
SF makes one for a M21/M14/M1A and these are specific for those weapons systems, don't buy one of these for a bolt gun or a AR variant.

When you go from the SS model to the K model, they change the mounts to a different verion. The K is definitely different from the SS.

SF cannot keep up with the contract demands right now, but we also have not had any trouble getting a SS version either, we have not heard what Turk heard, but you never know these days with SF.

We love ours, price be damned.

Just heard it a couple of weeks ago. If it is true and you are dead set on what the Mil has; get one soon. They will probably also go w/ the new design when the contract expires.

The 762SS is not being discontinued or restricted to Mil orders only. We are changing the lock rings to a new and improved design that is significantly larger and able to be repaired overseas without having to send it in for repair. All future orders shipping should be with the new lock ring.

Chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called SF and that's what I was told. They are just filling mil contracts w/ the previous design. The newer one is very similar but I believe the locking collar is a little different! </div></div>

That is not true. We spoke with them at Shot Show. They are changing the locking mechanism to be easily serviceable. The 762SS will still be available until they come out with something better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called SF and that's what I was told. They are just filling mil contracts w/ the previous design. The newer one is very similar but I believe the locking collar is a little different! </div></div>

That is not true. We spoke with them at Shot Show. They are changing the locking mechanism to be easily serviceable. The 762SS will still be available until they come out with something better. </div></div>
What exactly isn't true?? Never said they are discontinuing the 762SS. All I stated was that the older collar is not available to non mil any longer! Evidently while the new one is an improved design they still have to supply the older design to the mil due to contact requirements!

jhuskey,

Maybe I generalized to much. But the enclosed picture of my SF brake certainly does not show an easy plug n play install. The barrrel was turned down to install the brake. The barrel inserts quite aways into the brake. I am sure other situations can be easier as you indicated. Thanks.

2dujtyx.jpg

I have a few SF cans and really like them. 7.62ss and the M4 types on the AR. Great cans. Much use. I also have a 7.62 MG for the M240, which I use on a bolt rifle. Really quiet.
RTH

M21Tactical,

Your bolt rifle looks almost identical to my bolt rifle, I don't have quite as fat a barrel, mine is a #6 contour at 22". We are on the same page.

No, those are not plug and play but they are not a problem for a competent gunsmith.

jhuskey,

Mine is a #10 MTU contour at 20". Pretty close to yours. Agreed a "competent" gunsmith is important.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 762SS is not being discontinued or restricted to Mil orders only. We are changing the lock rings to a new and improved design that is significantly larger and able to be repaired overseas without having to send it in for repair. All future orders shipping should be with the new lock ring.

Chuck </div></div>

Chuck,
The new ring will work with old MB mounts, right? I had the MB installed and I am saving for the can in the future...

Jack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackinfl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 762SS is not being discontinued or restricted to Mil orders only. We are changing the lock rings to a new and improved design that is significantly larger and able to be repaired overseas without having to send it in for repair. All future orders shipping should be with the new lock ring.

Chuck </div></div>

Chuck,
The new ring will work with old MB mounts, right? I had the MB installed and I am saving for the can in the future...

Jack </div></div>

Jack,

Yes it will work.

Chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called SF and that's what I was told. They are just filling mil contracts w/ the previous design. The newer one is very similar but I believe the locking collar is a little different! </div></div>

That is not true. We spoke with them at Shot Show. They are changing the locking mechanism to be easily serviceable. The 762SS will still be available until they come out with something better. </div></div>
What exactly isn't true?? Never said they are discontinuing the 762SS. All I stated was that the older collar is not available to non mil any longer! Evidently while the new one is an improved design they still have to supply the older design to the mil due to contact requirements! </div></div>

Well as Chucky stated. The new latch was designed to help the guys overseas to service the cans WITHOUT having to send them in or have an armorer work on them. I know the contract is specific but I would be all for something easier on my gear.

Sounded like you were talking about a new suppressor and the only difference was a new locking collar. Maybe I read that wrong...

Chuck - Do you have any sound reduction comparisons between the 762K and the 762SS on a bolt rifle? I'm looking for one for my rifle and very interested.

I spoke with Garin at the Silencer Shoot but there was a mixup with shipping ammo for the shoot so I didn't get any trigger time. I will say that the new locking collar is much nicer!

Josh

I'd be interested in the measured DB reductions in both cans as well, if they are known.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have some sound data on both of them. I believe both cans were shot on a 24inch remington 700 when they did the test. The 762SS averaged 132db's and the 762K averaged 136db's on the same host. </div></div>

Is that a big difference to the ear?

I have a 762K coming..........will I notice a difference when shot next to the SS?

Sometimes meters reflect differences in suppression level, and on some, I can't hear the difference at my ear.

I shoot my 762K all the time and you will be just fine. I shoot mine on a 18 inch OBR and I don't get ringing in my ears when I shoot it without ear pro.

Both will ave 133dB on a M40A3 24" barrel with M118LR ammo. Sound, weight, durability are all the same. The FA762K adds .1" more length to the weapon vs the SS model. Some just prefer a over the barrel design.