• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Surefire can worth the extra money?

TrooperBrian

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2010
Idaho, USA
I am about to get my .338 build all put together. I was originally planning on using a Surefire .338 can and their muzzle brake. But I noticed the AAC Titan SS is much less, and I don't really have a need for a quick attach, but having a brake while I'm waiting on paperwork would be nice.

All things considered, who would consider the Surefire can to be worth the cost? Namely, $500 more?

Re: Surefire can worth the extra money?

Before I was going to buy a Surefire, I would take a look at Thunderbeast and Suppressed Armament Systems (SAS).

I wasn't sure before my Surefire purchase, but I can assure you I am glad I did now. The brake works great, and the can locks up solid. I locked it up and tried my best to make it wiggle, and it wouldn't budge. I also have not had any POI shift with it so far. I strongly recommend the Surefire, and would make the purchase again.

I was having the same problem spending that much on a can, but I finally broke down and picked one up, surefire 762ss for my 300wm I couldn't be happier with it... The break works outstanding and the can is everything I expected from surefire, top quality... One of the guys I shoot with runs the 338 version and it's the cats ass, if I was ever gonna step up in caliber I wouldn't think twice about the extra money

I just picked up 3 Surefire suppressors in the last 30 days and have 3 more on order so yes worth the money

The first step is admitting you have a problem... Haha

1-800-2MNYTOY I can be your sponsor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before I was going to buy a Surefire, I would take a look at Thunderbeast and Suppressed Armament Systems (SAS). </div></div>

He didn't ask about either of those companies. He asked if the SF 338 was worth the massive price tag.

I say it fully depends on your use. If you only plan to shoot this occasionally then no its not worth it. If you plan to travel a lot to events, hunting, competitions, then yes they are worth it. POI shift is negated by their mounting system. That is their biggest selling point. I am probably within a week or so of getting my 338SS SF can approved. I will let you know how it runs. I also own the SS Titan, while it is an excellent suppressor, it is HEAVY. That will change your POI.

FWIW the SS Titans are a touch liter now with the 1.85" tubes than they used to be with the 2" tubes. And they sell an all-titanium version too, which can still be had for less than the Surefire.

That said, both are very good cans.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mendy300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first step is admitting you have a problem... Haha

1-800-2MNYTOY I can be your sponsor </div></div>
Do I have to send you one of my silencers if your my sponsor?

My wife tells me all the time that I have problems so nothing new there but here is the kick she is an enabler, everytime I want something she says buy it:)

Well it sounds like the consensus is pretty clear. I have a Surefire X300 that I had fall out of an aircraft, ran over, knocked off a cliff, sat in a lake for a week, in a 160 degree hotsprings overnight..and it is still the same one I carry everyday. So if that can be a testament to how well their cans are build, I'd say it would be worth every penny then.

I work for a Surefire dealer, but they don't have a professional purchase for suppressors in place.
frown.gif

KYS338, I would be interested in hearing what you have to say about that can, how many days is the stamp running these days?

If you dont need the QD option, then it is not worth the extra. The extra cost is associated with the suppressor being QD. Then you have to buy a brake. Comparing apples to apples The Titan QD actually cost more than the surefire and weighs less, but it is titanium.

AAC is not making the Titan SS anymore, but you may get lucky and find a dealer that still has one.

Even though you didnt ask, Ill also agree with the other guy on the TBAC suppressors. But I think you will be happy with either of the ones you names. They all work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well it sounds like the consensus is pretty clear. I have a Surefire X300 that I had fall out of an aircraft, ran over, knocked off a cliff, sat in a lake for a week, in a 160 degree hotsprings overnight..and it is still the same one I carry everyday. So if that can be a testament to how well their cans are build, I'd say it would be worth every penny then.

I work for a Surefire dealer, but they don't have a professional purchase for suppressors in place.
frown.gif

KYS338, I would be interested in hearing what you have to say about that can, how many days is the stamp running these days? </div></div>

Im right at 5.5 months since pending. So I say it clears in the next week or so. That's according to my recent ones I have picked up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 317millhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you dont need the QD option, then it is not worth the extra. The extra cost is associated with the suppressor being QD. Then you have to buy a brake. Comparing apples to apples The Titan QD actually cost more than the surefire and weighs less, but it is titanium.

AAC is not making the Titan SS anymore, but you may get lucky and find a dealer that still has one.

Even though you didnt ask, Ill also agree with the other guy on the TBAC suppressors. But I think you will be happy with either of the ones you names. They all work. </div></div>

While I hold TBAC in high regard for their quality and high level of precision.... I have to say they don't cut DB like the AAC Titan nor the Surefires. I was granted a small visitation with my 338SS when my dealer came by for dinner one night. It was impressive the fact that there was NO POI shift. My 338P-1 does have a very sharp tone. But everyones ears are different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 317millhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AAC is not making the Titan SS anymore, but you may get lucky and find a dealer that still has one.</div></div>
Yes they are, unless that changed very recently. Still listed on their website and still in stock at many dealers. They just aren't making the ones with 2" tubes any more, everything has been standardized to the 1.85" tubes.

I have a Surefire 762SS and I'm very pleased with it. I think you would feel the same abut the 338. I got in on a group buy and paid a good bit less than I see them going for. The price I paid was more than most other .30 cans but the Surefire was the one I wanted. For me thats what it's about. You will have a long wait on any can you get so if you want the Surefire.....get it!

I have a Thunderbeast BA 338 and it rocks. 2 moa shift at 100 yrds on my DTA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmtsc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mendy300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first step is admitting you have a problem... Haha

1-800-2MNYTOY I can be your sponsor </div></div>
Do I have to send you one of my silencers if your my sponsor?

My wife tells me all the time that I have problems so nothing new there but here is the kick she is an enabler, everytime I want something she says buy it:) </div></div>

I'm an addict. I started Black Friday. 2009. I remember it well. Gemtech Sale Thought I'd "Try It". HA now it looks like Im a stamp collector..

Just waiting on the 22 Surefire and the 556 Socoms..

kys338 have u got your surefire 338 suppressor yet? I've got one in the works for my lapua; lan on using on the 338 federal and my 7STW. didnt think the gemtech sandstorm that is ratted for the 300WM should be used on the STW. Just nterested in your results