• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Surefire Cans

weazer

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2005
Edgerton, Ohio
Whats the general consensus on Surefire Cans? I am looking into getting the FA556AR. For the guy's who have them, any problems?

Thanks

Re: Surefire Cans

I don't own a SF, but have heard from those in the know that they are very good but expensive and kind of hard to get.

If you've got the budget and can find one, I don't think you'll be sorry.

Not the quietest suppressor that I own, but it works great on my 12.5" SBR and 18" LMT MRP. Very little POI change and the mount works very good. I have not had any problems with mine.

IMG_2193Large.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michealj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not the quietest suppressor that I own, but it works great on my 12.5" SBR and 18" LMT MRP. Very little POI change and the mount works very good. I have not had any problems with mine.

IMG_2193Large.jpg
</div></div>
Way cool! How do you like it, and what brand barrel?

I have the FA556AR and have been pleased with it. I've shot it along side a few other cans and no one can really tell if one is louder than the other. POI change is minimal, I'm very satisfied with mine. Got it from ADCO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michealj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not the quietest suppressor that I own, but it works great on my 12.5" SBR and 18" LMT MRP. Very little POI change and the mount works very good. I have not had any problems with mine.

IMG_2193Large.jpg
</div></div>
Way cool! How do you like it, and what brand barrel? </div></div>

I like it, it does what I need it to. I prefer my Ops Inc. 12th model and my AAC SPR/M4, but overall it is a very good suppressor.

The barrel is whatever barrel LMT uses for the MRP, which I believe is from Mike Rock, but I could be wrong.

Good luck finding one. I've been looking for a 7.62SS for almost 2 months now, without success.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you prefer the OPSinc and the AAC? </div></div>

Because they sound better. When deciding on a suppressor, sound reduction is one of the most important qualities I look for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck finding one. I've been looking for a 7.62SS for almost 2 months now, without success. </div></div>

I want one of those for my AR10, it seems to be the lightest fast attach .30 caliber can out there. When I got my 5.56 can from ADCO, they said even though they stock the 5.56 cans they could order me a 7.62 no problem. It sucks having to wait on a Form 3 and a Form 4, but both of my local dealers deal mainly in Gemtech crap.

Here is a video from a while back where I shoot my Surefire can alongside an SPR/M4 and a can made by a local Class 7.

You Tube

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1_ar_newbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What guns will you be putting it on?</div></div>

I have two 12.5" AR's, a 18" SPR, and a 14.5" AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because they sound better...made better...& cost less. </div></div>
I am glad you like the sound better!I kinda dig the SF sound!!!! If it wasn't for the fact that I like your little girl; I'd cut into you a little deeper!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck finding one. I've been looking for a 7.62SS for almost 2 months now, without success. </div></div>

I found one in stock. I am hageling on the price with them.

The key to the POI shift on those is to have the compensator properly installed. The comp. to barrel clearance needs to be null. Factory barrels might not give the best results. It is best to have a smith turn the barrel to spec on a lathe and fit the compensator.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The key to the POI shift on those is to have the compensator properly installed. The comp. to barrel clearance needs to be null. Factory barrels might not give the best results. It is best to have a smith turn the barrel to spec on a lathe and fit the compensator. </div></div>
What if there is no comp?

I have used the SF 5.56 and the best thing about them is the lack of POI shift with it or with out it.
With SS109 ammo and a stock rifle it did its job.
SF can sell to the Public now as long as your in a State that you can. The easy of putting it on and off is good too.
If on correctly you get no POI change.

Just what I have found.
I will pick one up in NV when I retire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The key to the POI shift on those is to have the compensator properly installed. The comp. to barrel clearance needs to be null. Factory barrels might not give the best results. It is best to have a smith turn the barrel to spec on a lathe and fit the compensator. </div></div>
What if there is no comp? </div></div>

The can attaches to the supplied Surefire compensators. It is a fast attach/detach can, not a thread on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The key to the POI shift on those is to have the compensator properly installed. The comp. to barrel clearance needs to be null. Factory barrels might not give the best results. It is best to have a smith turn the barrel to spec on a lathe and fit the compensator. </div></div>

The can attaches to the supplied Surefire compensators. It is a fast attach/detach can, not a thread on. </div></div>
Thanks, but I was hoping that you may have figured out that I have two SF's! Mine was just a general question for all suppressors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The key to the POI shift on those is to have the compensator properly installed. The comp. to barrel clearance needs to be null. Factory barrels might not give the best results. It is best to have a smith turn the barrel to spec on a lathe and fit the compensator. </div></div>

Then it wouldn't be a SF QD can and since you own two, you already know that.
Apples to Apples, SF to SF, even then there are variances between performance of the same model, much less muddying the waters with an ambigious question related to other makers products.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhuskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The key to the POI shift on those is to have the compensator properly installed. The comp. to barrel clearance needs to be null. Factory barrels might not give the best results. It is best to have a smith turn the barrel to spec on a lathe and fit the compensator. </div></div>

Then it wouldn't be a SF QD can and since you own two, you already know that.
Apples to Apples, SF to SF, even then there are variances between performance of the same model, much less muddying the waters with an ambigious question related to other makers products. </div></div>
As I stated before what causes a poi shift w/ threaded on barrels? Clear enough? I sincerely hope that wasn't too ambigious!

[/quote]As I stated before what causes a poi shift w/ threaded on barrels? Clear enough? I sincerely hope that wasn't too ambigious! [/quote]

If you mean "ehat causes a poi shift with a thread on can/suppressor/silencer?

My understanding is that there are a few things:
1. the harmonics of the barrel are different with the can
2. the extra weight actually creates a shift due to "bending" or "pull" on the barrel
3. the mechanics change (ie. recoil management) which changes most people's shooting

Anyone, feel free to expand or correct as I am only a user. This comes simply from field use only. No test, just theory.

Ok, for those that have the SF's how much barrel do I need past the gas block? On my 12.5", I have 2.75" from the gas block to the start of the threads. Is this going to be enough? I have seen various dimensions on the web, so its nice to have actual numbers.

Thanks,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michealj88</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you prefer the OPSinc and the AAC? </div></div>

Because they sound better. When deciding on a suppressor, sound reduction is one of the most important qualities I look for. </div></div>

+1

http://vimeo.com/1429557

AAC IMHO.......

M4 14.5" with XM193, 169.0 dB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M4-2000, 134.4 dB, 4.1 dB FRP, 34.6 NSR, 16.9 oz, $895

AAC SPR/M4-K, 138.3 dB, 0 FRP, 30.7 NSR, 16.9 oz, $1050
(not our SPR/M4 but a special short version).

Surefire FA556K, 137.6 dB, 5.7 dB FRP, 31.4 NSR, 16.0 oz, $1265

Surefire OTB, 138.4 dB, 5.0 dB FRP, 30.6 NSR, 17.3 oz, $1265

M4-1000, 139.3 dB, 2.5 dB FRP, 29.7 NSR, 16.7 oz, $595 </div></div>

&

H&K 416 10" with M855, 166.0 dB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M4-2000, 130.7 dB, +4.5 FRP, -35.3dB NSR, 16.9 oz, $895

FA556K, 138.3 dB, +4.7 FRP, -27.7 NSR, 16.0 oz, $1265

Ranger2, 139.9 dB, 0.0 dB FRP, -26.1 NSR, $475

SRT Typhoon/Atlas, 144.0 dB, +1.2 dB FRP, -22.0 NSR, 24.3 oz, $745 </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: weazer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, for those that have the SF's how much barrel do I need past the gas block? On my 12.5", I have 2.75" from the gas block to the start of the threads. Is this going to be enough? I have seen various dimensions on the web, so its nice to have actual numbers.

Thanks, </div></div>

Kind of my question too .. except I have the FA556-212 can and it is going to be used on 10" (yes 10 not 10.5) barrel with a standard front sight post base. Enough clearance once the lug is chopped and the comp/FH installed?

I'm waiting on my F4 for the can now.

Why not throw in a 556FA to make it fair??? And does any of that add up to the difference of being heard or not heard?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And does any of that add up to the difference of being heard or not heard? </div></div>

Sound intensity is a logarithmic function.A 3db increase is produced by doubling the input power. An increase of 10db is perceived as 2x as loud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M4-2000, 130.7 dB, +4.5 FRP, -35.3dB NSR, 16.9 oz, $895

FA556K, 138.3 dB, +4.7 FRP, -27.7 NSR, 16.0 oz, $1265</div></div>

As you can see it's about 7.6db diff..........this is closing in on being almost 2X as loud for 50% addition $.........and it's not even fully welded core,it's spot welded

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because they sound better...made better...& cost less. </div></div>

+1 agreed.

fullyweldedcoreadfinalj.jpg

That some old pic has been discredited many times on here! Brand new AAC compared to ..... what a joke! How convenient to leave the bottom of the pic out! Stop drinking the Koolaid; but I really don't blame you since you gotta live w/ that tattoo Like I said compare apples to apples.Throw a SF 556FA in the mix! And next time you want to gloat about your own stuff; start your own thread!

Surefires have been tested against AAC.....They didnt measure up to the less expensive AAC

Besides'...This subject has been discused...seems like you can never convince people with facts...More like Drama.

Surefire would be cool...If they gave me one for free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That some old pic has been discredited many times on here! Brand new AAC compared to ..... what a joke! How convenient to leave the bottom of the pic out! Stop drinking the Koolaid; but I really don't blame you since you gotta live w/ that tattoo Like I said compare apples to apples.Throw a SF 556FA in the mix! And next time you want to gloat about your own stuff; start your own thread! </div></div>

Why the aggressive tone? Is this your thread only? Can anyone who doesn't agree with you not post as well?

The man asked for opinions and feedback. I provided numbers from DB testing, what's my AAC tat have to do with this?

I didn't attack you and call you a "kool aid drinker".

I didn't make this about you instead of the product in question.

Now if you have anything contrustive to add except personnal attacks the OP might want to hear it.

Again:

Other cans have and do perfrom better than a Surefire ( Surefire being almost 2X times as loud on a 10.5"), are better built( fully welded Vs. Spot wleded) and for cheaper( 50% cheaper ).

This is not an attack on Surefire or Surefire owners, it's simply what it is.

To answer your real question, you will need at least 3" clear barrel in front of the gas block to mount a SF QD can.

Actually let's talk about aggresive a little! Who's bashing who w/ BS comparisons. comparing a K model to the rest, showing pictures of a brand new AAC compared to a well used SF. God only knows what was done to it??? Show the bottom of the pic; where it is clear that they copied SF's design! Yeah I know SF didn't design it either, but so much for AAC being in the forefront! The fact remains we are humans and I can hear equally well the sound from SF and AAC! If AAC is so much better why did they get canned
grin.gif
from the FN SCAR rifle; after all they are less expensive?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually let's talk about aggresive a little! Who's bashing who w/ BS comparisons. comparing a K model to the rest, showing pictures of a brand new AAC compared to a well used SF. God only knows what was done to it??? Show the bottom of the pic; where it is clear that they copied SF's design! Yeah I know SF didn't design it either, but so much for AAC being in the forefront! The fact remains we are humans and I can hear equally well the sound from SF and AAC! If AAC is so much better why did they get canned
grin.gif
from the FN SCAR rifle; after all they are less expensive? </div></div>

How am I bashing SF?

look at their welds, they use spot welds..........that's not AAC fault.

As to what cans were metered, I didn't pick which ones would be metered. <span style="font-weight: bold">Regardles, the SF is almost 2X as loud as a AAC on a 10.5 barrel.</span>

If SF is right, then why did they just get thier lawsuit against AAC tossed?

http://www.iptrademarkattorney.com/2009/...dvertising.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">"However, SureFire fails to provide evidence that the advertisement's implicit messages are false." </span></div></div>

I assume you have a link for FN dropping AAC?

I'll be wating to read it.......

Better yet wait to see what is on the end of that barrel! I'll have another pic for you a little latter! In the mean time perhaps you can explain why there is no comparison to the FA model?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better yet wait to see what is on the end of that barrel! I'll have another pic for you a little latter! In the mean time perhaps you can explain why there is no comparison to the FA model? </div></div>

I didn't pick the cans tested..........

Regardless the Surfire that was tested is almost 2X as loud on a 10.5 barrel......

Pics?

you mean these pics???? From FN brochure.............

fnscarbrochure5.jpg

fnscarbrochure4.jpg

fnscarbrochure3.jpg

fnscarbrochure2.jpg

fnscarbrochure1.jpg

Sometimes I think I'm still in high scholl around here.......

I have multiple cans from multiple vendors and almost all cans have good and bad. Grab the tool that best suits the job.

+1 Notice any similarities?
2usx7jn.jpg

How convenient for the test to use a 10 inch barrel so one couldn't use a FA model! Use what you want and stop bashing w/ stuff that doesn't make a difference in the real world!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 Notice any similarities?
2usx7jn.jpg

How convenient for the test to use a 10 inch barrel so one couldn't use a FA model! Use what you want and stop bashing w/ stuff that doesn't make a difference in the real world! </div></div>

Yeah.

Both the bases look like an OPS & the SF looks JUST like and OPS can...At least AAC had enough sense to fully wled their can......

10.5" is a pretty standard barrel..........it's not all Ar barrel makers had a grand conspiracy against SF....

I'm still waiting for a CITE on the FN dropping AAC?????????????????????????????????FN's catalog seems to say otherwise.........

A can that is almost 2X as loud, 50% more expense and not even fully welded is not "bashing".............it's simply stating the facts.

Are you saying that the Surfire suppresses better, is better built and cost less than the cans in it's market?

<span style="font-style: italic">If you want to buy a Surefire, buy a Surefire</span>, <span style="text-decoration: underline">but those are REAL world things that matter.</span>

I am afraid I don't have anything in print; all I can tell you is that a very good friend of mine is in charge of the SCAR program and that is what he has conveyed to me. But even if I had I am certain that wouldn't change your skewed perception! Perhaps you'll give me credit when this takes place? In the mean time enjoy your AAC tattoo and try not to get excited about a gun muffler!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am afraid I don't have anything in print; all I can tell you is that a very good friend of mine is in charge of the SCAR program and that is what he has conveyed to me. But even if I had I am certain that wouldn't change your skewed perception! Perhaps you'll give me credit when this takes place? In the mean time enjoy your AAC tattoo! </div></div>

My buddy's uncle's roomate's sister know a guy, who knows a guy.............CITE or STFU.............ask him if SF cans are made of a "special steel"!

I posted the FN catalog for God's sake..........there's nothing to debate here.

I do enjoy my tatto and my 50BMG and my 50BMG can. Thanks.

How many free silencers has Surfire given away? ZERO.

bsclaimsst0.png

That's just it, they don't have to give away anything! As far as what you have posted, I am sure that you are aware that they reserve the right to change...What exactly is your affiliation w/ AAC? Was just joking about the tattoo! What an idiot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's just it, they don't have to give away anything! As far as what you have posted, I am sure that you are aware that they reserve the right to change...What exactly is your affiliation w/ AAC? Was just joking about the tattoo! What an idiot! </div></div>

I see you have nothing to add but personnal attacks.

*here's where i act like a child and throw insults around* but I won't. Instead i'll let the numbers prove you wrong again......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mic position one meter to left of muzzle. A-weighted.

M1A: Factory Flash Hider, 168.2 dB

AAC 762SD, 138.3 dB, +.8 dB FRP, 29.9 dB NSR
Surefire FA762K, 140.7 dB - +4.5 dB FRP, 27.5 dB NSR

Rem 700, 19.5" M80 ammo, 167.4 dB.

AAC 762SD, 139.2dB, 28.2dB NSR -- <span style="font-weight: bold">$28 per dB</span>.
Surefire FA762K, 144.7dB, 22.7dB NSR -- <span style="font-weight: bold">$79 per dB</span>.

At Ear, Rem 700 18" M80 ammo, A-weighted:

AAC 762SD, 133.0 dB
Surefire FA762SS, 135.0 dB
Surefire FA762K, 135.7 dB </div></div>

I don't take lightly to STFU! Now again if you want to post #'s that include comparable suppressor's; great! Why not test a SF FA to M4 2000? Let me guess they couldn't find a 14.5 barrel lying around? How much smaller is the K vs the M4 2000? How about those #'s? Showing a brand new AAC next to a used SF prooves nothing. You never did mention your affiliation?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't take lightly to STFU! Now again if you want to post #'s that include comparable suppressor's; great! Why not test a SF FA to M4 2000? Let me guess they couldn't find a 14.5 barrel lying around? How much smaller is the K vs the M4 2000? How about those #'s? Showing a brand new AAC next to a used SF prooves nothing. You never did mention your affiliation? </div></div>

Here's SF saying how thier can is 6X better than a KAC can..............lol

http://www.surefire.com/suppressors_articles_science_intro

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"We fired 1,500 rounds on full-auto as fast as we could stuff 30-round mags into the gun. <span style="font-weight: bold">We totally ruined the barrel, but the suppressor was barely even marked,"</span> Dueck said.

Sadly, the U.S. military issues a can that can't come remotely close to such performance. The average service life of the current issue <span style="font-weight: bold">SOPMOD can is barely 5,000 rounds</span>, according to a highly placed operator in a Special Forces unit who spoke to Combat Tactics on condition of anonymity. <span style="font-style: italic">"It's a piece of crap, but the manufacturer has political connections, so that's why we're stuck with it," </span>the source said.

The SOPMOD specification is for 10,000 to 15,000 rounds of service life. SureFire guarantees a service life of 30,000 rounds with its M4FA suppressor. <span style="font-weight: bold">"Honestly, we haven't been able to make one fail yet," said Dueck. "But we're being conservative and rating it for 30,000 rounds."</span>

The difference is in the high-temp aerospace alloys that SureFire uses in the suppressor, Dueck explained. "Durability is a huge consideration," the director of the Suppressor Division added. "I don't know of anyone out there who can compete with us on durability. We've put 1,500 rounds through a suppressor in 30 round bursts, just speed reload after speed reload. We broke the first M4 we tested like this on the fifteenth consecutive magazine, so we took the suppressor off, stuck it on another M4 and kept on with the test. <span style="font-weight: bold">Basically, we wrecked two guns and the suppressor had absolutely nothing wrong with it."</span> </div></div>