• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surefire MB762SSAL/RE - Does it add velocity?

t140

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2012
Midwest
I've been looking at these to replace my JP large profile compensator - for the sole purpose of getting any extra velocity I can from it (I have an 18" barrel).

Has anyone done any chrono testing before and after adding one of these?

2b46ff705f5036e60f8c345906391135.jpg

doubtful, since the size of its bore is greater than the barrel bore... lose all of your pressure once the bullet passes the crown. It does not extend your barrel.

That is just me trying to use some logic. I have done no before and after testing.

My thought was that even though there isn't a seal on the bullet, there will still be pressure behind it. It's not as good as a true 20" barrel but it may give me something.

As the bullet would lose any gas seal on the rifling once it left the barrel, I'd say whatever acceleration you gain with the escaping gases in the <1" of the brake would be negligible. This, coupled with the fact that the device is designed to dissipate gases as efficiently as possible, would only increase confidence in this theory.

If you want to use this and add a little velocity in the manner you suggest, put the suppressor on it. I run a 18.5" barrel in this manner and have no issues (barrel wise) out to 1k. I've also included a video below of LL shooting the 18.5 (suppressed) at 800 and 1k with a suppressed 18.5 with the surefire brake. If this isn't possible, you'll need to add some length to a new barrel.

GAP Gladius - YouTube

You two may be right. Suppressors are illegal in MN or that would've been my first option. I suppose if I don't have the velocity necessary for 1k+, I will just have to get a new barrel.

They work well but there are much better brakes out there. If you intend to use it with the SF can then by all means rock out.

If your looking for a brake that works better and you can attach a can to... look into the Mack Bros.