• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors surefire or aac?

feesix

Dipstick
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Sanford
Looking at getting my first suppressor, I like the surefire and aac mount system. Which would better price not being an option. Only looking at quality.

Suppressor mount and flash suppression is superior. AAC's sound reduction is better in my opinion and they are cheaper.

Which AAC? I have the MK13-SD on a 308 bolt gun and it is quiet, locks up very tight, has very little POI shift, and is light weight. It attaches in a hurry and is easily done just by feel. When looking at the internals it is very well machined and fit. I will be buying another for a 300WM build that just completed. Having a muzzle brake when not using the can is nice. I don't have experience with the new SOCOM brakes/mounts, but I do have the brake/mount for the prior generation (FA556-212). While the can is heavy the brake is the best brake system I own. The muzzle just sticks in place with much reduced recoil and almost no disturbance to the ground surface beneath the muzzle. It outperforms the AAC 90T mount and the Little Jimmy as a brake. When I get around to ordering a JP 308 it will have the new SOCOM 7.62 can because it's construction lends itself to handling mag dumps and when not using the can I am sure the brake will mitigate both muzzle jump and twist as well or better than the prior version.

So my recommendation would depend on your intended use.

They have had issues with their mounts for a long time and a few CS issues but they make excellent and tough cans.

I would go with the Surefire. I hate the 51 tooth mount on the AAC. Out of (10) 51 tooth mounts, I found one mount that works well. The other mounts turned my 3/4 MOA rifle into a 4 to 5 MOA rifle. I shouldn't have to spend $1k on mounts to find one that works for a given suppressor. I will never buy another AAC rifle suppressor.

I have a Surefire FA556AR in 5.56mm. I have a AAC M4-2000 Mod8 in 5.56mm.

I like the Surefire better. It has better construction and the sound reduction is greater. The mount system is also improved over AAC. The AAC was difficult to remove sometimes. There is minimal (if any) point of impact shift with the Surefire. The AAC impact shift is dramatic, think 5-6 inches high and right at 100yards.

Since price is no option, Surefire all of the way. They are the number one choice with the military, especially special forces.

SilencerCo/SWR (If you want to consider others)

TBAC (If you want to consider others and are talking 30 cal)

AAC (might bump up if going for something like the SDN-6)

Surefire

FYI though, the SDN6 is not a precision can, so if its going on a precision rifle I would count it out. If a brake and QD is a must, Surefire is the answer.

Last edited:
I've done accuracy testing with three AAC muzzle devices on custom uppers with Noveske SS barrels. Used Black Hills Red Box 77 SMK. Accuracy suffered tremendously with the AAC devices installed. Went from 0.5-0.7 MOA with nothing installed to 1.6-1.8 MOA with AAC muzzle devices aboard in all three cases.

The AAC muzzle devices were all new and looked to be reasonably well made. I did not have access to AAC suppressors to test.

I do NOT have this problem with Surefire muzzle devices or suppressors. The muzzle devices are totally neutral, from an accuracy perspective. Add a SF suppressor and you may well see an improvement.

I do NOT have this problem with Surefire muzzle devices or suppressors. The muzzle devices are totally neutral, from an accuracy perspective. Add a SF suppressor and you may well see an improvement.

My accuracy improved when I install the Surefire on my HK MR556A1, but only slightly.

If hell were to freeze over and I buy another aac can, it would be a thread on for sure. No way I'd want to be a lab rat for one of their 3rd attemps at a QD system.

I have played with a SF Socom RC 5.56, those guys have made a nice QD can...

For me? Netiher, TBAC all the way.

I would go with the Surefire. I hate the 51 tooth mount on the AAC. Out of (10) 51 tooth mounts, I found one mount that works well. The other mounts turned my 3/4 MOA rifle into a 4 to 5 MOA rifle. I shouldn't have to spend $1k on mounts to find one that works for a given suppressor. I will never buy another AAC rifle suppressor.

I have worked with the SD6 over the past year and the bottom line is that the suppressor must lock up tight with the mount. I have five different mounts and none of them locked up tight. I contacted AAC and the were very responsive and sent me two free mounts. They didn't work either. I took the 6.8 spc LWRC DMR to the gunsmith and asked him to make the suppressor lock up tight. He shaved a little off the mount (1000's of an ") and then it locked up tight. I now get the same accuracy out of that rifle (.75 MOA) with the suppressor as without and the other uppers are at the gunsmiths waiting for a fitting.
I have found that tuning an AR and optional added equipment and hand loads for maximum performance is not unusual.

I am also interested for a .338 Lapua build. Can't afford the suppressor right now but trying to decide to go with the surefire break or the aac. The aac titan is lighter by only 2 oz so I am leaning towards it. I have a legacy 556 micro and it gets pretty fouled up and hard to remove. Apparently the new design (SOCOM) isn't offered in .338. Don't mean to Hijack if I am.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the sf can and am wondering how it will effect the accuracy also. I'm mainly looking at the sf cause I plan on it doing double duty on my 5.56 also. yeah I know not ideal but it will get the job done.

Wow, more negative on here for the aac than i expected. I have a SDN6 and no problems. When behind my 308, it actually helped my groups a little. As far as locking up tight, its never been an issue; maybe i got lucky. Surefire def makes sweet cans as well but as stated above $$. Before i bought the aac i wanted the surefire, just had trouble justifying the extra cost. If the money isnt the issue, +1 on the SF

As an aac sdn-6 owner I should have waited on the surefire.......it not a horrible can and my mounts all lock up tight but after using a surefire can I have regrets...