• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surefire Scout or Mini-Scout for AR

sawman556

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2012
Bucks County, PA USA
I'm looking to pick up a new light for an AR-15 this week. I was wondering if those that own a full-size Scout find it too big? Or if you own the mini do you find 110 lumens lacking in power? Is 110 enough to get it done? I wish the small one put out 200. I have a couple 170 X300's but wanted to try something different. Thoughts?

I find no issues with my mini lighting up a room when its dark. For my purposes (HD carbine) I find it perfect for the job. It easily lights up the living room from the end of the hallway which is probably 25 feet or so and is still small and unobtrusive.
I run it on a Gear Sector offset mount which is a nice low profile mount that allows me to run it at 11 O'clock right up against the front sight. Mine stays on the rifle so QD wasn't on my list of priorities. YMMV

http://www.gearsector.com/browse/category/mounts/flashlight-mounts/surefire-scout-mounts/

Sawman,

I have used several different surefires from incans to leds on both the military side of the house and the law enforcement side. By far my favorite has been the M600c with the KX2C head. It is a great light and has never given me any issues. The 200 lumens has never been a problem inside of houses and is nice amount for anyhting less than 100 meters outside. The M300 is a nice light but it is a little under powered outside if there is any abmient light out or any street lights.

What are you going to be using it for? For home defense I recommend the M600c. For strictly outdoors use I would recommend the X300 Ultra(with the pressure pad)

IMG_0633[1].jpgIMG_0634[1].jpg

Both of those lights are going up in output in the next couple of months so unless you need to buy soon or you got a screaming deal on one I would wait. I am told April time frame for the 500 lumen scout and March for the 200 lumen mini scout.

Just from experience I can tell you that if the inside of a house has lighter colored walls, anything over 300 lumens will be way too bright. When you turn on a light that is too bright everyone in the room will squint for a split second, including the person controling the light. You really want to keep the lumens around 200 so that the only person that is squinting is the person that is in front of the muzzle. You want to be ready to follow your light with a bullet as soon as you have the propper target ID if you have to and not wasting any time with getting used to the light. I know that this may sound stupid to some, but the first thing that a bad guy will shoot at is the light that is being shined in his face. So if you limit your reaction time to your own light then you have more of a chance to act before the bad guy reacts.

I would stay below 200 lumens. If the SF M300 Mini is going to 200 lumens then that would be my choice.

just my .02

Personally I love my Inforce WML its a slick little design that runs an LED at around 200 Lumens if I recall correctly.

Here is a picture of Mini Scout on my LWRC M6A2. I use a Larue mount and the remote switch with mine. Personally, I think the Mini is enough light most applications. I have heard that Surefire is bringing out a X300 Ultra which is meant to have an ungodly amount of lumens, but I like my Mini. For now at least.
B37475B9-39E1-48E7-B3ED-5D1BFA971C87-2320-000003B38921CDA8_zps06da76a1.jpg

I'd skip the scout lights and look at the X300 and mount it at 12 o'clock in front of the front sight. Its light, about the perfect brightness, no wires running loose, and its ambi.

I run the Mini Scout, I like the low profile and weight, lighting has been good enough for the 40 yards or so I have access to for night shooting. I also have a 500 lumen x300 ultra and for the size and weight and price... its tough to see what the mini scout gets you. Though it is a bit too bright inside the house.

I'd skip the scout lights and look at the X300 and mount it at 12 o'clock in front of the front sight. Its light, about the perfect brightness, no wires running loose, and its ambi.

I am looking at this light for my duty handgun. When you say it is ambi (sorry for the stupid question) do you mean the left and right side switches are independent like the Insight WX150 (also called the Procyon in the earlier version) vs a toggle switch like the original Streamlight pistol lights? After using the insight I prefer this design over a toggle switch design. Sorry for the hijack. I will be looking for a new light for my rifle later this year as well. Thanks.

The X300 works off of a constant on/off toggle and for momentary on you apply forward pressure to the toggle. You can press either the left or the right toggle forward so it is truely ambi. I've always only used TLR's, M3s, and M6s on my pistols, but I have run the X300 on a rifle. The x300 was mounted in the 12 o'clock on a FF rail in front of the front sight. It was easy to find the toggle with my thumb with and without gloves on. The only issue that I had with it was if I was really driving the gun for rapid follow up shots or even running it in burst, the toggle would engage and the light would stay on until I flipped the toggle back down/up.

I know that this could be corrected through more training with the light, but since I was already used to running the M600 I just switched back to it. I just didn't feel like dealing with another system when one already worked for me.

I agree that the "no wires" idea is great. I currently run my M600 on a pressure switch that is attached to my vert grip. I am only doing that while I wait for my offset mount to get in, cause I will then just run the light with a tail cap and my thumb. Surefire used to offer a tail cap for their Executive series light that was momentary only (Z54) that works great for the M600 and M300.

The biggest thing is to buy what you want, find the best way to run it that fits your needs, and practice practice practice.

Maelstrom: Are you running any type of light on your duty weapon right now? I can tell you that the X300 is comletely different than any of the Insight or Streamlight lights. The X300 is a bullet proof light that will last for a long time, but just be prepared to spend some time getting used to the interface.

Last edited: