• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Surefire SOCOM 7.62 and 300 WinMag

TheyCallMeRob

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2012
Cary, NC
I have a 7.62 SOCOM that I'd like to use on my 300 build. Can anyone that has experience with the platform/ can offer their thoughts? Should I be concerned with the life of the suppressor?

John 15:13

I have a 7.62 SOCOM and I'm really happy with it. I don't have a 3winmag unfortunately. I understood this was the can some of the mil rifles will be using. Garin is awesome, I'm sure you'll get squared away.

Surefire SOCOM 7.62 and 300 WinMag

I bought the can to use almost exclusively with the 300wm - when I bought it, it was also one of the only magnum rated suppressor as well!

Life of the suppressor? You mean in-between cleanings?

TheyCallMeRob,

There is no problem with running a 300WM with the 762SOCOM can. The SF can is found on quite a few different military 300WM's. I have been running mine on a recent 300WM build that was built by Spartan Precision Rifles and it is a dream to shoot with the suppressor. Get it, shoot it and go forth. As for service life, shoot it a lot, you'll wear out barrels before the can.

Be safe,
FourNineThree

It was confirmed by SF that the 762-rc would be fine for 300 RUM as well. But with a 338BA inbound I plan on using that can instead and save the RC for my 7.62x51s and 300 blackouts.

So the RC will work on a 300 win mag? I have a gem-tech 7.62 sandstorm (titanium) and first piece of paper that came out the box said do NOT use with 300 wm. just my .308 I believe that there is about 15,000 psi diff. in chamber pressure between the two. I'm somewhat new to the class 3 stuff...

Surefire cans are made to very high specifications. Made to handle far more pressure than the stated caliber. I wouldn't be surprised if you bored out a legacy 5.56 can and put it on a .308 it would run fine......in fact I bet it would take the abuse for years upon years. I do not suggest that at all...but I'd bet it would make a sweet looking mini 7.62 can.

So the RC will work on a 300 win mag? I have a gem-tech 7.62 sandstorm (titanium) and first piece of paper that came out the box said do NOT use with 300 wm. just my .308 I believe that there is about 15,000 psi diff. in chamber pressure between the two. I'm somewhat new to the class 3 stuff...

Different material, designs etc. ONLY shot what your can is rated for.

The surefire was specifically made to handle the 300wm afaik - it was standard on the mk13...

Can use the rc on any 30 cal tmk...and it's only a 5ish db loss going to a 223/5.56

That is correct. It is used on the Mk13 and can handle 300 RUM.

Is there a minimum barrel length? Have situations like the guy with the 16" 338 that blew the core out of his TBAC can so they had to put a minimum barrel length provision.

We don't have a barrel length on it. Have not ran into any issues yet on really short 7.62 caliber barrels. Had guys running a 16" 300 WM just fine.

From talking with Jered at APA about a short barrel 338lm build...the only can that was able to survive an 18" barreled 338lm was Surfire. I'm pretty sure it was 18.

It's good to hear that the 7.62 SOCOM will handle rounds with as much case capacity as the 300RUM - I should have no issues with mine on a straight 284 Win or 280 AI then.

How many of us have experienced the ultimate tease? - your SOT gets your can in, calls you to let you know it's in, lets you mount it on one of your rifles, then has to ask for it back before you leave the store. That's where I'm at with my SOCOM - had it on my AR15 SPR that I'd CeraKoted FDE, was satisfied that the H-series & C-series on the can were a nice match, then had to take it off and hand it back to my dealer {sigh} - probably only another five or six months of waiting on the tax stamp.

It also has a lot to do with powder used and barrel length. A 16-18" 300WM is probably not the platform I would go for on a can with that volume but a 24"+ should be just fine. Burning off the majority of your powder BEFORE you hit the suppressor baffles is crucial to performance and sound of a quality suppressor.

I use my SF cans on multiple platforms and they all perform well across the board.

Last edited: