• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Surface rust....at least I hope it's just surface

AtownBcat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
Aledo, Texas
I put my 1187 away after the last day I got to do any dove hunting last year. I thought everything was oiled and ready for storage...guess not. What would you guys suggest. It does not affect function but.....
0ebd0639.jpg

fac29da5.jpg

Re: Surface rust....at least I hope it's just surface

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fine steel wool and some oil </div></div>

+1

Rub a nickel on some of the bad spots.

Thanks for the replys.
When you say Oil are we talking something like rem oil or something different. What will rubbing a nickle on the bad parts do?

Break Free CLP works great. It seems to hold up better than Rem Oil and others

I like to use Brownell's Oxpho Cold blueing solution. I mix it about 1/3 alcohol and 2/3 Oxpho. The alcohol helps penetrate any left over oil. Rub it in with 0000 steel wool. It dissolves the rust and leaves a rust resistant phosphate type blue finish. That way you can blend the finishes together. If you want you can then go over the whole action to help the shades match. Then use Breakfree CLP to avoid having to do it again next year.

For <span style="font-style: italic">removing</span> the rust, use steel wool and any light oil you wish - RemOil, WD40, whatever. The type of oil doesn't matter for this step.

For <span style="font-style: italic">preventing</span> rust in excessively humid environments, you want something thick. RemOil and the like doesn't cut it, in my experience. I've been spraying down the machine tools in my shop with PB Blaster Corrosion Stop, which is fairly sticky stuff. Boeshield also works well.

Please don't take me as being a smart ass, but the only shotguns I have seen rust like that over a period of several months were stored in a gun case, or left out in the rain (in Alaska). Might consider finding a better place to store your gun. Just sayin'...

It does look like it has been in a moist environment I had several exposed to a flood one time and they all speckled and had to be reblued

The oil & steel wool suggestions are the way to go.
That looks like it's been exposed to an acidic environment (sulfuric, nitric, muratic, or some such).
Check for any open or unsealed chemical containers in the area.

If that was coastal hunting then your soft case can get moist from the salt air. Don't know if that is what happened but down along the coast we sweat even in the winter months and salt comes off your hands and onto metal spelling bad news. Sorry to see the oxidation on your baby little brother. Good luck with the finish. On the bright side you could have it coated.

I have an old rifle (inherited) that look a lot worse. It was put up for decades and the rust is clearly not just on the surface. The rifle shoots ok, but looks like hell.

I intend to do rust removal using commercial chemical rust removers, which will also strip any remaining blueing. Rust and blueing are just different forms of chemical bonding/oxidation; what stips one will also strip the other.

My plans for afterward involve KG Gun-Kote.

Greg