• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon 1086/R Action .300 WM Rifle Build, barrel?

GT30

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2012
I'm building my dream Sniper Rifle and could use some wisdom. I've decided on the Surgeon 1086/R Action with the detach box mag and Jewell trigger. I'm just not sure what barrel/ barrel length to match it with. It has to be precision. Cost really isn't an issue but less is better. I don't want to put Viva 2 tires on a race car. I'm going for accuracy here. I want to add a good muzzle break as well, suggestions? I would like to keep the weight and length down. So maybe fluted barrel? What is the shortest length I can get away with but maximize the full potential of the round? You're help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Surgeon 1086/R Action .300 WM Rifle Build, barrel?

any reputable barrel brand about 25" inlength around a medium palma contour sounds good to me.

"Dream Sniper' isn't a purpose for a rifle. You ask about barrel length and contour, but you don't say what use you have planned for the rifle so it's hard to give meaningful advice.

I plan on using this rifle as a long range all purpose rifle. Something that I can hunt with and punch paper with as well. If I have to hike around with it I want to keep the weight down.

Thank you for the meaningful advice, I do appreciate it. I'm counting on a good muzzle break to relieve the desire for weight when it comes to recoil. So 25 to 26 inch barrel, Palma contour, roger that. I'm willing to sacrifice a marginal amount of potential for traded barrel length/ weight reduction. 1:12 twist maybe. Thinking of hand loading the Hornady 178g Amax
Muzzle break ideas?

Go with a 10-twist for (almost any general purpose) 300WM.

i second the 10 twist.

do NOT get a 12 twist for a 300 wm

I have a .300 with a 26in in the rem varmint contour and i like it. It is not to heavy for short hikes but it could be a little heavy for long mountain tripw

1 in 10 twist
24" minimum barrel length
Rock Creek, Bartlien, Krieger, Brux barrel
Remington Varmint contour (save money on the flutes)
APA LFB brake (protect your ears)

Fluted Remington Sendero/Varmit contour. You should be able to get the rifle to around 12 lbs. I have found that a 12 lb rifle is heavy enough not to be hold sensitive, solid, repeatable, and wont kill you packing it around. The Varmit contour will give you the best repeatable accuracy with as little weight as possible. I like the Muscle brake. Its nice for getting back on target.

Thank's for the advice all. Recap: Barrel between 24"-26" with a 10 twist for general purpose. A varmint contour, possibly Rem Sendero. Stay away from 12 twist.
Muzzle Break: Suppressor/ I wish. APA LFB Brake, or Muscle Brake. Both of which are very nice looking brakes I might add.

I'm leaning towards a 25" barrel to split the difference unless it's going to be too hard to find that length. And it sounds like many love the LFB brake.
Until tomorrow, Out

Yeap , a 1-10 twist , 26 or longer , and 5R rifling , cutrifled , Bartlein .

Have the chamber throat cut longer than SAAMI specs , ie seat a 208-225gr bullet long , use up most of the room you have in the AI magazine .

Later Chris

I'm having a similar build to what you describe. Here are my specs

300 WM
Surgeon 1086R
(1) 5-rd AICS mag
APA Bottom Metal
Jewell HVR set to break at 2.5 lbs
Obermeyer 5R 11 twist M24/Remington Target contour at 24"

26" 1/10. Mtu and a horse or 4wheeler its 2012 why walk when u an ride.

Because it's 2012 and gas is close to $4/gallon
frown.gif

Surgeon 1086R
Surgeon DBM
Cerakote flat dark earth
McMillan A-5 KMW hardware GAP Camo
Krieger 5R MTU 1:10 finished at 24"
Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 HS-ZS NPR1
Leupold MKIV high steel rings
Badger FTE brake
Jewell Trigger
Tab Gear Sling
Harris 6-9BR-S

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4235.jpg

IMG_4239.jpg

Well I'm glad to have sparked some debate. Great info to all. Jayman thank you in particular. I'm glad to hear from someone doing the same build as I am. Any particular reason for the 11 twist and 24" barrel. It seems like everyone is suggesting the 10 twist and 26" barrel. I went to Obermeyer's web site, very nice looking barrels. The AMU (Advanced Marksmanship Unit contour) barrel looks like it has some good features. I may go with the AMU Plus and have it fluted. Does anyone know if there are any Cons to having a fluted barrel ex. rigidity/ accuracy reduction? I like the idea of the reduced weight. Also Chrom Moly or SS? I'm going to have a paint job so does it matter?

Wow Bob, I saw that same gun in my dream. Ha, even the same scope. I like you're style. What does she eat and how does she shoot?

Wow again, thank's Bob. That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Now just to duplicate it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 in 10 twist
</div></div>

this is what id go with from what ive read about your uses

i went with a 26' MTU 1/10 twist wit APA fat bastard.. i like heavy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 in 10 twist
</div></div>

this is what id go with from what ive read about your uses

i went with a 26' MTU 1/10 twist wit APA fat bastard.. i like heavy </div></div>

Skum,

Got a pic of your rig?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Midwestside</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because it's 2012 and gas is close to $4/gallon
frown.gif
</div></div>horse gas is free

We had horses, now have quads, they are WAYYY cheaper.....
laugh.gif

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surgeon 1086R
Surgeon DBM
Cerakote flat dark earth
Badger FTE brake
Jewell Trigger
Tab Gear Sling
Harris 6-9BR-S

</div></div>

Hey Bob nice looking stick man , what dose it weigh ?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman™</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surgeon 1086R
Surgeon DBM
Cerakote flat dark earth
Badger FTE brake
Jewell Trigger
Tab Gear Sling
Harris 6-9BR-S

</div></div>

Hey Bob nice looking stick man , what dose it weigh ?

Thanks. </div></div>

according to my bathroom scale: 17.2 lbs. (7.8 kg.)

Bob, that coating you have on the action and barrel, is that the cerakote flat dark earth? where did you have it done and how much did it cost? Was that an option from Sergeon/Krieger?

It costs alot of money to make horse gas. Hay isn't getting any cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GT30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob, that coating you have on the action and barrel, is that the cerakote flat dark earth? where did you have it done and how much did it cost? Was that an option from Sergeon/Krieger? </div></div>

It is flat dark earth cerakote, It was done by Robert Gradous. Here is a link to his component metal finishing service..

http://gradousrifles.com/services.php

Cut and Pasted from his page:

Metal Finishing - $275.00

I offer metal finishing services on most bolt action rifles. This includes:

Disassembly
Surface prep
Application of premium metal finish (your choice of Cerakote or KG products) in purpose-built spray booth and ovens
Re-assembly
Function testing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

according to my bathroom scale: 17.2 lbs. (7.8 kg.) </div></div>

Thanks for that.