• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon .223 AI LRI

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    Just received the barreled action back from LRI. It’s a .223 AI on a Surgeon action. Bartlien 8 twist. 5-20 Ultra Short H 59.
    BF12955C-BF5B-4413-B133-93D9F7FB66F9.jpeg

TT Diamond with factory settings. Murphy Precision Titanium rings.

Will dial it in tomorrow.

Great looking rifle bro and my favorite calibre.I use the 75 gr amax in my 223AI and it is outstanding.

Reactions: RTH1800
    I like that. I have been thinking of ditching my 28" 223 for a 21" 223 AI in light palma.

I like that. I have been thinking of ditching my 28" 223 for a 21" 223 AI in light palma.

Is the general consensus that the benefit of .223AI is that you can go shorter on the barrel and retain the longer barreled velocities?

I really want to go 223AI for my next rifle, but I was thinking of doing a 26" barrel. The only thing I would hunt, if I did, is coyotes or varmint, and I wouldn't be walking much.

Last edited:
    Is the general consensus that the benefit of .223AI is that you can go shorter on the barrel retain the longer barreled accuracy?

I really want to go 223AI for my next rifle, but I was thinking of doing a 26" barrel. The only thing I would hunt, if I did, is coyotes or varmint, and I wouldn't be walking much.

I want to retain some of the velocity i got the longer barrel for.

Reactions: Gustav7
    Reduced or no case trimming. A bump in velocity with the heavies. Allows me to keep my bolt gun brass separate from my AR brass.

I said that same thing until I built an AR in 223 Ackley...

I'm seriously thinking about getting my next SPR barrel in .223AI.... Essentially, all you need is a barrel chambered in it correct? Everything else works fine with them?

Where did you get your barrel from?

I'm seriously thinking about getting my next SPR barrel in .223AI.... Essentially, all you need is a barrel chambered in it correct? Everything else works fine with them?

Where did you get your barrel from?

I have a few uppers in 223 Ackley. Just a barrel is all you need. I alsi set up a separate tool head to load ammo with.

My barrels are Kreiger or Bartlien.

I have a few uppers in 223 Ackley. Just a barrel is all you need. I alsi set up a separate tool head to load ammo with.

My barrels are Kreiger or Bartlien.
    I don't see .223AI listed on Kriegers site as a chambering for AR barrels. Are you just getting blanks and having some else chamber them or are they just not listing it? I'd love to just get CLE or WOA to spin up one. Prolly should call and see if they can.

What do you use for mags in an AR?

COAL is limited..

Prolly standard mags.... I know the ASC mags will go to 2.31" OAL

If I made my AR into an AI, I'm sure as hell not single loading them lol.. I'd get some ASC and seat to 2.25-2.30 depending on my freebore and seating depth test and call it a day. The extra case room is really what I'm after.

Yes, I fireformed 50 Lapua cases. Accuracy was good but will do better with some load work up I am hoping.