• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Surgeon 591 in a Rem 700 stock?

Northland

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Louisiana
I've googled it and searched it. I found so many different answers that I don't know whats what...

I have a Mcmillan stock that I want to put a surgeon 591 action in. My stock is for a Rem 700. What has to be done to a Rem 700 stock for the Surgeon to fit... if it even fits at all?

I've heard it will "drop in" but you have to get some cut off the side for the side bolt release.

Any help would be good, thanks.

Re: Surgeon 591 in a Rem 700 stock?

Hey mate,

I’m having a build done at the moment using a surgeon action. The surgeon action is 'cloned' off the 700 action, so it will fit apart from 2 areas that i know off. One, is the side bolt release like you mentioned and the second is the bolt handle inlet, groove, whatever you want to call it.

The bolt handle on the Surgeon is straight, so the cutout in the stock for the standard 700 bolt handle will need modifying as well. Won’t need much though.

Search for some photos of surgeon actions and you will see what mean.

Heres a link to a random photo i found that shows the stright bolt handle.

http://i48.tinypic.com/fe4cj9.jpg

Cheers

Pete

I'm guessing I could just send it too Mcmillan and they could do it?

I would have whatever gunsmith that's building your rifle advise you on the stock. If they can handle the little inletting tricks (and they're not all that difficult) let the guy do it. If he says to send it in to McMillan for work then do that or source another gunsmith.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have whatever gunsmith that's building your rifle advise you on the stock. If they can handle the little inletting tricks (and they're not all that difficult) let the guy do it. If he says to send it in to McMillan for work then do that or source another gunsmith.

</div></div>

+1. It's not a difficult problem to overcome.

I too had this issue but with JW precision stocking surgeon inlet stocks...I just sold the rem inlet stock and bought the same one from JW precision for the surgeon. It was really easy that way. No worries about cosmetics either.