• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon 591R Part Identification

jholmes

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2020
Minnesota
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first actual OP post. Maybe this has already been covered but i can't seem to find details on it. Been scoping around looking at buying a .384" BF bolt for my 591, however ran into a few issues with identifying parts that are posted on everygunpart website. my two questions are as follows:

1) What is the difference between 'SP' and 'LP versions of these bolt 591R RH bolt kits? references: SP bolt & LP Bolt. they both are Mini 16 extractor so it's not the extractor type.

2) I spoke with a gunsmith at Surgeon and he stated that they definitely make a .384" Bolt face bolt, however, i cannot find it anywhere on their parts site. I reached out to everygunpart, but the response was that they have posted everything they stock in their warehouse. the link above for the LP bolt does not specify what bolt face it is.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Capture 1.JPG
    Capture 1.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 39
I spoke with a gunsmith at Surgeon and he stated that they definitely make a .384" Bolt face bolt,

The .384 bolt face (.223) option is listed under each 591R action in which it's offered.

SP/LP is the reference to the firing pin hole diameter in the bolt face.

It's not much of a website for exact information is it?

Thanks for that, i forgot they offered two firing pin sizes. Thank you!

It’s quite a mixed bag as far as parts descriptions go. Of course they sell parts for multiple manufacturers so it’s not tailored to specific manufacturers like surgeon. I just want to find the bolt so i can build a .223 trainer!

I have similar questions regarding the 308 bolts they have listed. Rem 308 RH SP BSA507006 vs Rem 308 RH LP BSA507004. Have a 591R action with a .223 bolt that has never been built out. Would like to get a bolt for a 308 Win barrel I have that was threaded for the 591. Is there a standard/preferred firing pin size for the 308? With limited information and support is it safe to expect that a new bolt from current manufacture will fit an Oklahoma action built 10+ years ago?

I have the .080 firing pin in my .308(.473"BF). Craters SR primers on my 6BR with no other pressure signs. so i run magnum primers for now. Spoke to Gunsmith at Surgeon and he explained that they started offering .060" firing pins for this reason. I plan to bush the firing pin hole on my original bolt once i finally get the .223 bolt. Update on that: finally was able to get my hands on one from Surgeon through everygunpart. Should be here in a week.