• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Surgeon action modification

CHEYTAC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2005
NC
I am sure this could be done easily by a gunsmith, but what are the pros and cons of taking a surgeon 1086 Long action repeater with a bolt face of .473 , ordering it with no extractor and having the bolt face opened up to .587 and installing a sako mini m16 extractor?
I want to use a surgeon action (mainly because i don't own one) and chambering it for the 300 norma mag and use it for a hunting rifle with a edge technology stock ?????
I'm sure you guys have loads of ideas LOL

Reactions: jaxbhc
Re: Surgeon action modification

you should call Preston, I think you can buy extra bolts in different bolt faces

A magnum boltface is .532 with the extractor dimensions for a standard magnum, if I get the .473 bolt face and open it up to Lapua bolt face and then install a extractor it will look like Surgeon did it, I will call them tomorrow and ask if they will sell this action with a Lapua bolt face , i just did not see this option on their web site.

I would like to here what Surgeon says as well. I have the 1086 action that I was planning to build a 338 Edge on. I'm thinking they will tell you to go with the XL action, the downside is it will weigh a bunch more.

They said "NO" they don't believe a .705 bolt is large enough, so I will have to go defiance machine for a action. The XL is too heavy for a hunting rifle.

And Remington is having a few problems with there 338

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CHEYTAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And Remington is having a few problems with there 338 </div></div>

Just curious what problems they are having. Was thinking about one. Thanks

One thing to consider is that if Surgeon and our company is unwilling to build a lapua magnum size cartridge on the .700 dia bolt versus the .750, there is probably good reason. As a professional engineer, I have completed all the analyses etc on the small diameter bolt and there is not enough margin for a foolproof safe design. Why push your luck, just get the .750 bolt action or shoot something smaller. I think Surgeon has some round actions that are not as heavy and we also have some actions slightly larger then the standard remington that you may want to look at. Please dont push your luck and personal safety if you dont have to.