• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon/AICS2.0

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    I just got around to shooting the 6.5x47 which I had changed over to an AICS 2.0. The bolt hit the frame SLIGHTLY in the notch. I did not modify it. I am very impressed. I think it shoots better than when it was in the McMillan that was professionaly bedded. Shooting about .3 MOA (5shots) at 100 and under 2" at 500. Only shot 50 rounds, but it was very comfortable. Wish I had done it sooner. Just took a while to get used to looking at it. I purchased it from Adam at Bauer Arms. He is GTG.

Re: Surgeon/AICS2.0

I have a Surgeon that GAP built and they machined a releif notch in the area you're speacking of. Just have someone machine it. It shouldn't cost a whole lot.

Enjoy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Surgeon that GAP built and they machined a releif notch in the area you're speacking of. Just have someone machine it. It shouldn't cost a whole lot.

Enjoy. </div></div>

I have a GAP Surgeon build, and am considering switching from a McM A5 to AICS. Any probs with recoil lug not fitting or bolt release up top?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got around to shooting the 6.5x47 which I had changed over to an AICS 2.0. The bolt hit the frame SLIGHTLY in the notch. I did not modify it. </div></div>

I'm surprised it even fired. Get the stock modified.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heavy Haulin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Surgeon that GAP built and they machined a releif notch in the area you're speacking of. Just have someone machine it. It shouldn't cost a whole lot.

Enjoy. </div></div>

I have a GAP Surgeon build, and am considering switching from a McM A5 to AICS. Any probs with recoil lug not fitting or bolt release up top? </div></div>

I honestly do not know about the recoil lug. I have never separated the barreled action from the stock. As far as the bolt release goes, it fits just right, no mods needed.Actually, it fits perfect. Let me know if you want pictures.

The slot for the recoil lug on the AICS is pretty generous. I can't remember exactly how wide it is, but it is substantially wider than a standard R700 lug. If need be, I could measure it again for you. I would be surprised if any of the robust aftermarket lugs didn't fit.

Regarding bolt release? (safety??). I did have to dremel a very little bit on the inside to fit my Jewell trigger (dremel work cannot be seen when action is installed. Take your time, it is very simple).

A Remington 40X trigger, and X-Pro fit with no modification.

Hope this helps.

About the bolt hitting the bottom of the notch. I would say it is only holding the bolt up less than .005. Just touching. I could fix it with a file, but did not want to ruin the stock if I did not like it. I like it now and have no problem with the change. Did any of you guys put finish on the notch after the mod?

In talking with the guys at Surgeon during SHOT this is one of the items that was discussed. If memory serves they are already doing this to their in house AICS so that it is not riding on that contact point. The other alternative is to very lightly skim bed the AICS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About the bolt hitting the bottom of the notch. I would say it is only holding the bolt up less than .005. Just touching. I could fix it with a file, but did not want to ruin the stock if I did not like it. I like it now and have no problem with the change. Did any of you guys put finish on the notch after the mod? </div></div>

Ok that makes a lot more sense. If that stock wasn't modified with a notch to clear the handle I would see no way the rifle would even fire.

Try loosing the action screws and see if the barreled action will rotate a little to the left before re-torquing the action screws. If the stock isn't bedded it will be able to rotate a little left and right and still be able to apply torque. If you can rotate the action a little this may keep the bolt handle from hitting the stock that last little bit.

I thought about it and decided I did not want the rifle rotated in the stock. I will just releive the notch and keep it tight and flat.
    JMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought about it and decided I did not want the rifle rotated in the stock. I will just releive the notch and keep it tight and flat.
    JMO </div></div>

Problem is how do you know it's not rotated to the right, or not centered, now allowing the bolt handle to hit in the first place?

Just try it. Flip the rifle over and sit it in a rest. Loosen the action screw just enough to allow the stock to wiggle on the action. While wiggling the stock add a torque a little at a time to the front screw to allow the stock to center over the action. Then check the bolt handle and see if it hits.