• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon built rifles...years to watch?

IW21

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2013
Where ever the work is
So I came across a killer deal on a new/never fired by owner Surgeon build.

1581xl
338 lm
27" krieger
And looks like their new bottom metal

Never owned one. Just AI's and Sako's so I've got little to go on. Any years to look out for? Weird thing though no mag ?‍♂️

There's some folks that say the SAC Surgeon is not the Preston Pritchett Surgeon. I used to own a 591. It was a fine action. I'd be more worried about who built the rifle than I would be on the quality of the Surgeon.

If it came from a reputable builder, I'm sure it would be a great rifle.

It was built by Surgeon. Just not sure what year. Only reason I’m asking is because I remember hearing BS going around several years ago regarding their quality. I’m not a comp guy. I have a chunk of land in Florida I shoot on so I’m pretty limited to what I run into as far as other rigs. If I’ve shot other rigs, it’s only because I invited someone to come out.

Last edited:
My apologies, you spelled that out, I just did not read that it was a Surgeon-built rifle...for some reason, I was stuck on the action itself. If it truly is a killer deal, I'd buy it. Interestingly enough, we don't hear a whole lot coming out of Surgeon in recent times. I'm assuming there's some insiders here on the Hide who know if anything is going on with them, or they are just quietly pumping out rifles, but at the end of the day, that is inconsequential.

When I got into precision rifle shooting, about a decade ago, Surgeon was one of the bigger ticket actions to have for sure. It's why I bought my first custom built on a 591. I'd see a few folks at matches who were sponsored by them, but that's been about two years ago.

So I digressed a whole bunch...sorry. Just buy the rifle ;)

Reactions: IW21
My apologies, you spelled that out, I just did not read that it was a Surgeon-built rifle...for some reason, I was stuck on the action itself. If it truly is a killer deal, I'd buy it. Interestingly enough, we don't hear a whole lot coming out of Surgeon in recent times. I'm assuming there's some insiders here on the Hide who know if anything is going on with them, or they are just quietly pumping out rifles, but at the end of the day, that is inconsequential.

When I got into precision rifle shooting, about a decade ago, Surgeon was one of the bigger ticket actions to have for sure. It's why I bought my first custom built on a 591. I'd see a few folks at matches who were sponsored by them, but that's been about two years ago.

So I digressed a whole bunch...sorry. Just buy the rifle ;)

LOL no biggee bud. I'm guilty too. We'll see if they can provide a build sheet from Surgeon. And go from there. Gotta factor in putting it in a KMW stock after that. We'll see what happens. Thanks though ??

Reactions: FALex
I’m pretty sure Impact are some of the dudes from Surgeon.

Reactions: FALex
I’m pretty sure Impact are some of the dudes from Surgeon.

Yes, I believe the gentleman is Wade Stutteville (I'm sure someone will be by shortly to correct me if I'm wrong here). He worked for Surgeon and then started his own thing.

I've got two pre-sale Surgeon actions and they are smoother than either of my AI's. I don't know anything about the ones made after the company was acquired but the original ones are top-notch.

My 1581XL is in the low 3xx range. It is super smooth. It was built with a 20” Kreiger 338LM. Now it’s a 300 Norma Magnum
Cheers,
18E63429-0B38-44F9-A018-294B3C3FB643.png
9B310485-C471-428E-A433-BE10D521EA51.png

Reactions: BCX