• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Surgeon extractor problem?

RattlesnakeCreek

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2018
I had my local gunsmith chamber a .223 barrel for my surgeon action. It has a new bolt assembly that I just purchased from Surgeon. Without the extractor clip in the bolt, the bolt closes fine on multiple brands of brass both new and fired. With the extractor in it, it is hard to close the bolt. It appears to “ pop “ over the extractor and then it opens and closes fine, but does not eject the round from the bolt. We have swapped out the ejector and that makes no difference.
Anyone on here seen something similar? Any ideas to fix it? I am sure surgeon will make it right if it’s their problem. I just don’t want to wait forever on them...
4E1D7C67-FE20-431E-B48F-50D1B2D0CB4D.jpeg

Last edited:
He took a dremel to it. I don’t recommend it. But he got it to run.
Send it back to Surgeon. They’ve obviously got a problem.

Just ran into a magnum surgeon bolt doing the exact same thing.
On a magnum bolt, there’s probably a M16 style extractor that on Surgeon actions, will usually go outside of a typical .710” counterbore diameter when it snaps over the rim. On that one, I’d bet it was a gunsmith error.
The OP’s with the Remington extractor could possibly be a manufacturing issue, or extractor issue.

Reactions: Terry Cross
We swapped out the extractor with a new one 2x. I appears the recess that it snaps into isn’t cut correctly.