• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon long action questions ??

LibertyArms

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2010
Southwest PA
Is anyone using a surgeon long action repaeater. I am building a 338 edge, and was going to use a rem. 700 action, and was just wandering if the surgeons where really that much stonger. I have never had a surgeon before. Thoughts, opinions, anyone build on one?

Re: Surgeon long action questions ??

I have the short action surgeon scalpel. I have everything out there and can say that the surgeon action is top of the line. They are plenty strong and excellent feel. I feel that there action with integrated recoil lug and rail is the only way to go.

That will work! I'm building a new .300 Hulk on the long action. I just have to open up the bolt face. Plenty strong. I use a XL now in SS and a repeater. I own 3 Surgeons and all perform awesome. A .260...a .300 Hulk and .338 LM. I would like to see a 30 MOA rail in the long action. You can't go wrong with Surgeon actions. We've built several rifles on these actions and ALL the customers where very happy. You will be too. Spend the extra cash it will be worth it by all means.

Good luck!

Tom Sarver
Thunder Valley Precision

Just got my GAP Hospitaller with a Surgeon short action. Going from the stock Remington action to this was night and day, but I also have no say when it comes to a trued 700 because I have not touched one.

GG

Sooner or later everyone needs a Surgeon
laugh.gif

Just having one finished up on their round action, .30-338 win on an RLR. Smith called and said she's a keeper when he returned from the range with it.

Cant lose with a Surgeon. Their work is impeccable! I have one in a short action and am already jones'ing for one in a long action. During load development in the first weeks after receiving the rifle i shot a 0.2" group at 100yds. I cant wait to see what it does at range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terryg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the short action surgeon scalpel. I have everything out there and can say that the surgeon action is top of the line. They are plenty strong and excellent feel. I feel that there action with integrated recoil lug and rail is the only way to go. </div></div>

I feel the same - love my Surgeon actions!!

After trying various custom and stock long actions I still like my Surgeon XL the best.

It is heavy but I want the extra weight since the rifle is intended for prone off the bipod.

It has a flat bottom, integral 30 moa rail and integral recoil lug and one the smoothest actions available. What's not to love about it ?!

Can't go wrong with the surgeon. I love mine for sure, yet I seriously doubt that I would be hamstrung by using a Remington action for a edge build. I have a 300Rum that I am definately thinking about turning into an edge. I already have the AI stock to put it into. 350 for barrel, 200 for the action work and a couple hundred more for misc stuff. Less than 1k and would have a bad ass edge that if coming from a reliable builder, would most likely give up nothing to the Surgeon. At least not with me shooting it. As with anything else, if you have the coin to build it and it is what you really want, then do it.

Just finished threading the new Bartlien for a Surgeon XL, in 338 Lapua. Will probably chamber later this week, it will shoot just fine, if is anything like any of the others ( short action ) I have.

USMCj said all that needs to be said

I have a few rifles w/ the 1086 LA repeater. They are worth every penny. I wont build another rifle without using a Surgeon action. .224 moa on the last build.