• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon Rifle build

.Scarecrow.

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2011
West Michigan, United States
I'm looking to build one with a Manners T4A stock, I'm new to Bolt rifles and don't know EVERY part on them. I know I need the Action, Bottom Metal, Trigger, and Barrel. Is that everything? I don't know what barrel I will get and I would like suggestions on that. Also, this might be a question that's "Out there" but an Estimated weight would be nice. Maybe from someone who has a Surgeon rifle. I'm comparing weights to a McMillan TAC-338. I will probably have someone build it for me and send it to me, But I don't know who.

Re: Surgeon Rifle build

First you should mention your caliber choice, or at least which Surgeon you're going to purchase: long action short action large caliber. If your going for a 338 Lapua build then your going to have a pretty hefty stick. What's the intented use? Range, hunting, hiking etc. Every little option adds weight, so if your weight concious keep that in mind. Bipod, rings selection are another consideration. Good luck. Surgeon's are great actions.

Here's what I would do.

Full On Bad Ass build:

Action: Badger Ordnance or Surgeon Action (why?) Because they have integral rails and integral bolts!

Barrel: Lilja, Hart, Schneider, tons of good choices here

Trigger: I would use a two stage Extreme or Huber, but if you like single stage nothing wrong with Shilen or Jewell.

Bottom Metal: I would use Badger Ordnance if your going to use a Badger action and Surgeon if your going to use a Surgeon action. Might as well have a matched set.

Scope mount: I would go with Spurh

Here is a link to the Sniper's Hide google search bar:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

It is worth the time and effort to do some research 1st in order to ask more specific questions. If you list your intended uses for your build, what kind of size, weight, accuracy requirements you have you will get more serious answers and many more of them. Also, knowing your budget ahead of time will make your life much easier. Many of the very experienced shooters here have about as much in their glass as they do in their rifles. Give some specific details and you will get specific answers but before you do, do your homework. Their are literally hundreds of threads covering many different aspects of custom bolt rifle builds.

Welcome to SH and thanks for signing up!

My 2nd choice would be:

Swap the action for a Tikka T3, Remington M700 or Howa 1500.
Swap the bottom metal for P & G.
For the Tikka you would have to use factory and tune it. For Howa I would use a Jard or Rifle Basics.

For the Remington you could use the same Trigger.

I would use the Tikka T3 first, then the Howa then the Remington.

The Tikka has some good features like integral mounts, good trigger, and more precise and true action.

The Howa is built tougher.

The Remington has the most aftermarket swag available for it.

I am going for the .338 LM. Application is going to be just recreational very long range shooting. And I want a .5 MOA gun. Basically I want a 1 mile gun in the end. I'm planning on putting a NightForce 5.5-22x56 with a sunshade and caps. And maybe a Badger ordinance FTE brake. I calculated that if I get the McMillan I am looking at roughly a 14.5 lbs gun. Which I think is not all that bad. I use to want an AI, but forget about it, I'm not lugging a 19 lbs gun around. I have a small frame body and it just doesn't work.

Mark @ Short Action Customs is building me a Surgeon 591 based shorty .308.

I chose the Surgeon Action,Surgeon DBM,Brux Barrel, and McMillan A3-5 stock. I can't attest to the rifle yet but he has been great to work with and he has been putting out some nice rifles lately.

I started my build in May of this year and he said it will done in a couple weeks. Pretty good timeline considering I only had the action in hand.

You personally need to order the stock from McMillan or Manners, and a barrel, and a receiver, and bottom metal.

Then give it to a gunsmith to build.

At least with this concept your not waiting on a builder to things out of his hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .Scarecrow.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to build one with a Manners T4A stock, I'm new to Bolt rifles and don't know EVERY part on them. I know I need the Action, Bottom Metal, Trigger, and Barrel. Is that everything? I don't know what barrel I will get and I would like suggestions on that. Also, this might be a question that's "Out there" but an Estimated weight would be nice. Maybe from someone who has a Surgeon rifle. I'm comparing weights to a McMillan TAC-338. I will probably have someone build it for me and send it to me, But I don't know who. </div></div>

I love Surgeon actions and have a XL. Everything about the action is fantastic except one thing. It's heavy which means that whatever you build on it is not going to be light. My rifle weighs 20-21 lbs with scope.

Right now you can get brand new SAKO TRG42's for $2500 or so. They are pretty light compared to most other manufactures they compete with and don't give up anything to them. I believe the weight is less than 12 pounds. If you are not absolutely convinced on a custom build the chances of being disappointed in a TRG are slim.

Euro Optics has great deals on these and you can be shooting in a week.

yeah with the McMillan I "calculated" that with a Nightforce and harris small bipod (10 oz), a sunshade and caps I can have roughly a 14.5 lbs gun, I don't know how much the rings will weigh, But I want them as light as I can get but still perfectly strong. And I can't believe AI went with a gun that is even heavier.