• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon still in business?

tho98027

Minuteman
Jul 18, 2013
Rocky Mountains
I have been searching for a 1581xl action and they are no where to be found. Dealers have been out of stock for some time and some seem to have given up on getting any more back in stock with conversations I've had with them. I've emailed surgeon a couple times with no response over the last couple months. Anyone heard any rumblings of surgeon or know where a 1581xl (lapua bolt face) and bottom metal can be found?

With how things seem to be going, do you really want one of those actions? I mean do you want to be dealing with a company like that?

Buy yourself a Lone Peak fuzion and call it a day.

Reactions: MangoFett
Don’t want to derail thread but “what’s been going on” with surgeon.
Rumblings of back orders...
Is there something else?

Thanks

I'v been on the list for a year already and haven't receive it yet.

We have a few 591’s on hand and are waiting on a 1086. They have been really slow on orders.

Better yet buy an Impact and see what the buzz is about.

Impacts don't come in a .338LM bolt face.

Also, while the Impact is a great action, there are others that are very comparable. Lots of "buzz", lots of hype. Great actions, but people build them up to something greater than they are. I know more than a few people that prefer other actions to Impacts, including some top gunsmiths/PRS shooters.

These types of non-substance posts don't help the OP - he's not looking for an Impact, and Impact doesn't even make a comparable action to the Surgeon 1581XL.

@tho98027 I'm not sure where you can find that action, wish I could help there. Something comparable would be a Defiance Deviant with a .750 bolt and .338LM bolt face - Altus Shooting looks like they may have some in stock. I am using a Defiance Deviant that is IonBonded on my .300NM rifle and like it a lot.

Alternatively, give Surgeon a call.

ill just never understand why this industry in general never gives a firm answer.

its always a friend of a friend heard about a facebook post that was a picture of a instagram post that "X" is almost done

how about:

hey guys the LE portion is taking all of my capacity, ill get back to you in 2 weeks when i get a better idea...and actually get back to the customer

had material issues as of late

ill post on the thread next Friday no matter what to keep you guys in the loop

not only is the lack of info irritating customers, but the lack of info is literally taking money out of a company/gunsmiths hand because he doesnt have components

its really not that hard

They act like their weak and not in control if a supplier or something outside of their control is at fault.
People respond to honesty. If they would come out and say X Y Z we will have
this out at this time, please wait, most would say OK and just keep me informed
in a timely manner.

There is always the panda from Kelbly, the M2013, the defiance deviant and the templar

Kelbly atlas tactical as well. Ryan pierce tries to keep a lot of stuff in stock.

ill just never understand why this industry in general never gives a firm answer.

Not sure if you are directing this at me or not.

Just in case... I know for a fact that 1581 bolts are made and being surface treated.
It is nobody's business who made them or how I know.

I thought I would throw this out there because it is solid info and might help those trying to wait.

I have no love for the way Surgeon has done things and am including myself in the group of people frustrated with their lack of delivery with product and information.

./

not towards you at all, from what I know you’ve always been professional...sorry if you took it that way.

But used a company like yours as a example of possibly loosing profits and hurting cash flow if you had other parts in house paid for etc.

More pointed several other threads on the hide over the past few years.

Hope it clears it up

PM inbound

Reactions: Terry Cross
I believe there was a little back order issue but they should be Good To Go NOW. We just received a large order of Surgeon 591 actions in hand last week and are barreling them up shortly for a bunch of our customers that requested them on their builds...

Terry I don't believe they directed that your way Bro . One never knows who's behind the key pad and their intentions LMAO unless it's ONE of US out in the open like you and I or another builder ;)

But what the Fk would I know lol

Mike R.
Tac Ops

I apologize for the ruckus my post caused. Not my intent. Only asked because things have been quiet with surgeon with no responses and with many actions out of stock. Figured everyone else knew something I didn’t, so I asked. Glad they are in business and still making actions. Terry, Mike, thank you for chiming in with an update. Kthomas and all others, thanks for your input. Defiance was my next choice. I’ll try and hold out for a surgeon. Have always wanted to build on a 1581xl, entertaining a 338 Norma improved.

Brianf no worries Sir your Good To Go and I was just watching Terry's 6 ;) But on a more serious note, it undoubtedly gets a little frustrating at times trying to get items that we need to do what we do best. I always say Rome wasn't built in a day lol. But I definitely see the end user's point of view and understand the pain...

Tho98027 No need to apologize and if you like give me a ring I might have am extra 1581XL in the shop:) Maybe we can work something out if you allow me to build you a Masterpiece on it :) 310-275-8797 If I'm not in leave a message and your number 2 x slowly I'll get back to you within 24 hours or PM me here...

Terry I'll be giving you a shout in a day or so re: your DBM's

Mike R.
Tac Ops

^^^whew that escalated quickly :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Defiance Machine
Have they become a victim of their own success?

Better late then never should be their slogan. Ordered 1581XL -R- LAP 12 months ago along with a barrel and brake from different companies which I got in like 4 months. So 3 months ago I bought a 338 rifle , got tired of waiting for the action. They called today that its getting shipped out this week.