• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surplus .308 and Krieger Barrel

minsane

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2009
Hi guys:

I just sent off my RRA LAR-8 upper to get a new Krieger barrel put on her. Old barrel was not that accurate and copper fouled terribly after about 2500 rounds. I posted here before and some commented that my factory barrel was a tomato can with a hole in it. They were right. I know that Kriegers are fantastic barrels. I have one in .223.

I have about 600 rounds of the German coppernickel DAG ammo and 200 rounds of the Aussie surplus left. I read somewhere that it was a bad idea to shoot surplus .308 as it would lead to increased barrel wear. I would appreciate any opinions and actual experience with surplus ammo and barrel life.

Thank you!

Re: Surplus .308 and Krieger Barrel

Depends on the year mostly. I forgot but Pre 80 is a safe bet to stay away from. And made in the U.S. is always safer.

All jokes aside guys. This is maybe a silly but serious question. When I took my bum barrel to a gunsmith he said not to shoot surplus through her.

Only problem I ever had shooting surplus was in a 223, it had a really tight chamber and some milsurp stuff didn't fit or wouldn't extract after firing. Factory ammo was fine.

Barrel life? No idea.

I bought a bunch of the German surplus. I shot it for a while, but I'm not going to shoot anymore through good barrels.

The bullet is made out of harder material and it will wear the barrel out quicker. There was a letter posted a while back that basically said the same thing.

JMO.

-dan

and why shoot 2 moa ammo through a 1/3 moa barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

and why shoot 2 moa ammo through a 1/3 moa barrel? </div></div>

Yeah, either sell it and buy reloading components or throw it in the closet for when the zombies show up.

I use surplus when I'm shooting 100-300yds because it doesn't make much difference. I don't measure groups with a micrometer, so I'll never notice the difference between my .308 175gr match vs Port 147gr at 100, except maybe 1/10 mil elevation...

You don't feed a racehorse any old oats.

That barrel deserves a better bullet. Shoot the surp lus in something else. Or trade it off.

If you went through the trouble and expense of having a Krieger barrel installed on your rifle you should opt for better ammunition than military surplus. Try Federal Gold Medal Match if you do not reload.

It's a Krieger. If it can't handle surplus you're fucked mate. It will be fine to shoot it. Although as mentioned, it is like ordering chicken at a fine steakhouse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TNT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use surplus when I'm shooting 100-300yds because it doesn't make much difference. I don't measure groups with a micrometer, so I'll never notice the difference between my .308 175gr match vs Port 147gr at 100, except maybe 1/10 mil elevation... </div></div>

This hasn't been my experience at all. I find it hard to get most surplus ammo to group at all in my semi's and i can get FGGM or equiv well under 1mao. At 300 yds the surplus group is usually 10" while the good stuff is under 3". No micrometer needed. Of course sometimes I get lucky with the cheap shit, but not usually.

If you want to get rid of that surplus .308...My M1a will eat it and spit it out just fine. Send me a PM and we'll work something out.

Sorry I did not respond earlier, I was at the range practicing offhand and sitting positions using LC ball in my Krieger barreled rifle.

Good luck

Jerry

LMAO @ will! i wouldnt shoot junker ammo out of that barrel. keep hold of it, you may need it for when the zombies come

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TNT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use surplus when I'm shooting 100-300yds because it doesn't make much difference. I don't measure groups with a micrometer, so I'll never notice the difference between my .308 175gr match vs Port 147gr at 100, except maybe 1/10 mil elevation... </div></div>

That's because the Portugese is good stuff!!!

I wish I had bought more when it was 25.00 per battle pack!