• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surplus Bullets

akabaron

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2007
Tempe AZ
I have around 10k surplus pulled bullets, 147 and 150G .308 The best groups I can seem to get is 2" @ 100yds with an ocasional flyer. Is this normal for surplus bullets. Do any of you shoot any and get good results? Originally bought for just plinking which is what I use them for but seems like they could do better. Have been shooting them out of a Rem SPSV .308 But I can do hits on fist size rocks @ 3-400yds Is it the bullets or just me @ 100

Re: Surplus Bullets

You might be able to to better if you sort them by the base! Look at the base of the bullets. You will see right away what I mean. Then cull them by the weights, it is a lot of work but you may get that group down to 1.5" if your lucky. they are by no means a match grade bullet!

There are probaly several different bullet profiles in the cans! They are not all from the same forming line! One could be from one forming die and another from a different one!

If you have the time you may do better!

Terry

Here is a little go by from my experiance with surplus bullets and I have shot a crap load of them!

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

Hope it helps! Good luck!

Terry

vary intresting, i would have mostlikely over looked that, ill keep it in mind when loading surplus bullets

suasponte,

What's the OGL on those bullets? Wouldn't sorting by OGL give the same info?

Thanks,
DocB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the OGL on those bullets? Wouldn't sorting by OGL give the same info?</div></div>

It might, But I have found that quick visual inspections of the base is the quickest way to sort them.

A quick look in this can you can see several style bases!

DSC00168.jpg

Terry

Yea I know they arent the same as even the oal is different enough on some to miss the CANNELURE. 1st I tried and kept getting a different oal until I finally checked a few bullets and there about 3-4 different lengths but all @ 147. I might be over thinking this but I figured if I made them all consistant they would be a little more accurate so I seated all the bullets off the tip (did not deform any of them) This gave me 100% same oal but you have to think some were seated different changing pressure/velocity etc. I have tried it both ways and no change in accuracy that I can tell. <span style="color: #FF0000">So why can I hit small rocks all day long at 3x the distance but cant hold a group @ 100yds. Just seems odd.

</span>
1000145nb.jpg

I know done bullets shoot better at distance than at 100. I was doing load development with Bergers and they shot like shit at 100 and at 300 I would hold the same size group. I wouldn't sweat it to much as they are just surplus

Something to keep in mind. Most "mil-spec" bullets are just that. And the US mil-spec for "standard ball" is 3" at 100 yards. That's why they also have "special purpose" ammo for the longer more accurate shots.

A good way to sort is use a shadow graph, I sort surplus bmg bullets this way it works good.

I have about 2k of them and I've shot about 1k of another batch I had.

They are good for zeroing a scope and plinking 3+ MOA targets at longer ranges.

I get 1.5" groups from my 30-06 with them on average.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="color: #FF0000">So why can I hit small rocks all day long at 3x the distance but cant hold a group @ 100yds. Just seems odd. </span> </div></div>

Bullet Stabalization!

Terry

If you put paper out at the distance of the rocks I think you will find that the accuracy is not as good as it might first appear. Shooting rocks can be deceiving because close shots make things move and dirt flying masks things. Or you might just have a thing for paper, over thinking it instead of just doing it.

thanks Terry. On close inspection of the ones i have they all have a uniform concave base nothing like in the pictures above. The can has on the side. match bullets for ctg cal .30 m72 or 7.62mm m 118

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REM700MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what its worth. Widners 175 grain "sniper bullet" shoot 1/2" in my .308. </div></div>

I bought those from Weidner's too thinking I could get a deal.... they're still under my bench.... I started to weigh them after shooting a few ( getting horrendous groups ) and, I found out that from bullet to bullet the variation in weight was up to almost 2 full grains.

I sorted them into like 7 batches by weight and stuck them under my bench since I won't waste my barrel on them.

If it matters to anyone, they're made by privi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REM700MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what its worth. Widners 175 grain "sniper bullet" shoot 1/2" in my .308. </div></div>

Their 168 HPBTs won't shoot below about 2" in mine.

Factory 147 FMJs shoot better.