• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Survival, Evasion, RV’s, and Escape?

konabully

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2004
    PHX & So-Cal
    Survival, Evasion, RV’s, and Escape?

DesertFrog’s post about his emergency backpack meeting got me to thinking about using other means of emergency safeguards, especially when living in the concrete jungle.

I know quite a few members here have an RV for camping, going to out of state competitions, and some even live in them full time. Another reason to have one is it could be used as an emergency “Bug-Out Vehicle”. I have family in San Diego and Orange County, CA and the RV has been an instrumentally great emergency vehicle when fleeing from the terrible wildfires they have had. Their RV’s were stocked with extra food, fuel, and other amenities when it became a SHTF situation. Prior to heading out, due to a mandatory evacuation, they grabbed their valuables, kids, pets, and guns, and hooked up a tow vehicle and got out of Dodge. Whether it is natural or man-made disasters or even social uprising, having access to an RV or trailer could be indispensable during that time, especially if you don’t have family close-by and would rather stay away from crowded, even crime laden, evacuation centers. Human nature being what it is; the inevitable degradation of a polite society will become more evident the longer a crisis is able to exist. Self-sufficiency is key to your survival and well-being.

People are selling off their toys to make sure they can pay their mortgage, etc. so the deals are out there. I recently picked up a used 28’ Class-C motor home rather cheaply. I’m selling off one of my cars and picking up a ’97-’01 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 as a tow vehicle due to it’s light weight, carrying capacity, off-road capability, and it’s ease of towing. Of course, the Jeep will be lifted and upgraded for real off-roading and dependability.

The main reason I’m posting this is I’d like to hear from other RV owners and get some insight and ideas on coming up with decent firearms security, building storage vaults, hidden lock boxes, etc. Preferably, firearms related but I am open to any solid survival tips. Although this may mostly appeal to city folks escaping the masses of humanity, it could bring up some helpful and interesting insights and maybe some interesting discussion.

Re: Survival, Evasion, RV’s, and Escape?

yeah, a fuel trailer would be more useful than the Jeep, get a diesel, in a pinch they'll run on all kinds of oils

Gets wherever we need to go, and we got the rope too
    grin.gif

muddytruck.jpg

note the pussy jeep behind the truck that never sees dirt

Homeland Security has fixed that for us. there has been additives put in our fuel that are water absorbers. As well as the gasoline not being stable past about 60 days now even stabil does not help anymore talk to your mechanics and ask about all the fuel issues they have been seeing as of last year

have to go Diesel or propane better yet go Sin-gas or Bio-Diesel

dammit 9H.... I was trying to find a pic of the Urban Assault Vehicle this whole time and you beat me to it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dammit 9H.... I was trying to find a pic of the Urban Assault Vehicle this whole time and you beat me to it </div></div>

Stripes_664a.jpg

Stripes_706.jpg

Stripes_558.jpg

And, finally, no Stripes reference can be complete without Dewey Oxberger aka "Ox".

Stripes_717.jpg

fucking phenomenal man...lol

I'd give here the Aunt Jamima treatment!

We have a 29 ft Avion that has beeen some pretty isolated places. we use it a lot, so it stays stocked with food, clothes, and supplies. there is always the issue of constant maintanence, since these things are like the fighter jets my dad used to work on: every time they go out, they come back with something wrong.
    I have replaced the heater, fridge, and range. The microwave is nearly worthless, since they draw so much power from a gen set, that I never use it, so I am going to recover the shelf space. I have solar panels that keep the batteries charged, so the fridge, and stove circuitry don't pull down the batteries on a cold night, and so I can run the furnace or pump (which really pulls the battery down) with impunity.
    The latest thinking about batteries seems that 6 volt packs of golf cart batteries have much better life-times, and endurance, charge from deeper discharges, and hold a charge better. this means converting a storage bin, or under bed or couch area to battery area, and giving it adequate ventilation. Ventilation is an important issue even with gel packs. Hook up parallel to get 12 v, then hook up series to get sufficient amps to run pumps, etc.
    A lot of guys who pull to the desert or hunt in the mountains put the springs on TOP of the axles, for better clearance. I don't since I pull on the highway a lot, and didn't want to mess up CG. I pull on a lot of barely there two-tracks, so it has never been an issue (Snow Mountain Lookout in Oregon is one example.)
    The hitch set up is a class 5 receiver, and a EZ lift weight equalizer, with an anti-sway bar. We tow with a 2006 Dodge quad cab 4wd, with a Cummins. I have a chip, and Timbrin overloads on all 4.
    We got the long bed, so we could put the ATV, and a tool box in back. Fits perfectly. I just pulled across country, got an average of 14 MPG. Diesel was 1.87 in Oklahoma!
    Let's see, what else: two 10 gal propane tanks will last us well over a month in elk Camp, and we never ration on that trip, always warm, big meals cooked inside, even bake pies or corn bread, so that isn't a big cost. I have an extra 10 gal I take along, but rarely hook up to it.
    Water and black and grey holding tanks is a major issue:
    Do NOT dump dishwater down the drain, and if it is even slightly warm, bathe outside.
    Men go to the bathroom outside, and if the women are real women, they do the same. that cuts down on how often you have to empty the tanks. In a SHTF situation, I suppose it wouldn't make any difference, so you could just dig a hole
    and dump the tanks there.
    Water is 50 gallons, but I use it only for washing, dishes, etc. We carry 20 gallons in jugs strictly for cooking. In Elk Camp, we replenish it about every week to two weeks, depending. in a heavy situation, we would carry more, and filter the tank water for drinking. It's clean, I just don't like the taste.
    I carry RV antifreeze, for the tanks, in case it gets sustained cold, or for winter travel. Extra sewer cap, since the LEO frown on an uncovered sewer pipe, and they do sometimes jiggle loose, and tear away.
    Tires: Carry two spares, change all tires every 6 years, regardless of wear, according to the latest info, but I take it a lot longer, if my milage is low.
    Roof Skin: most newer models are one sheet of skin. No seams on the roof.
    Mine is a silver aircraft aluminum, with silver rubber sealant on all seams on the roof. No leaks.
    Belly pan: Must have metal skin: rodents will eat into the trailer/RV so a sealed metal skin underneath will mitigate that (not 100%).
    Security: Heavy locks on hitch, and rims. Big ass chain to tie down axle, through rims, and also a chain on the propane tanks. Big locks.
    Heavy hasps on all bins, or at least extra barrel locks.
    I have often considered painting the rig camo but that is one heck of a lot of duracoat!
    Inspect everything, always.
    I carry a floor jack, high lift jack, and tow chains, heavy ropes, complete set of hand tools, 12 volt power tools, compressor, tire plugs, BFH, and when headed to camp, a small chain saw, and the kit for that, extra fuel, an axe and shovel, and pick, extra oil, and antifreeze, and filters, an American flag, and a 101 Airborne flag.
    Up front, GPS, CB, Scanner with codes, Laptop with wireless for truck stops, all the locations of Loves, Petro, Flying J, and Pilot truck stops. Binos, flashlights, heavy waterproof cloves, work gloves, and insulated gloves. iPod with 7000 songs.
    Maps and sweet wife to do the navigating, and ride shotgun.
    Anything I missed?
    Food: We use standard foods. Wife is a great cook, so no trouble. Almost never out of a can. We also carry Chili of course, but that is for when we just get into camp or
    it just needs to be a quick meal.
    We keep a month supply of freeze dried meals in a box under the bed, Mountain House. I don't care for MRE's so none of those in there. These have a ten year shelf life, so in year 5 we eat them up over a year's time, and restock.
    Good luck. PM me if you want more detail.

I just picked up a 34ft southwind a nice rig way more than I needed for just fun but you never know what may happen. 454 headers and gear vendors on it 6.5 kw genset dual a/c's will sleep 8 and carry all we need

As far as fuel stores go; its more expensive, but it is supposed to keep for 15yrs, or so I was told. Buy Avgas, 100LL from your local small air field.

obviously unless your wealthy, you wont be storing enough to X-cntry in your rig; but for getting away, and definately to run the generator. Avgas has been formulated specificly to insure combustion ALWAYS, so all that o2 and other chems are a big no go in the aviation world. Besides that, you wont believe the performance gains in your rig when using it, far more efficient and seems to go further.

Out

I believe that is 15 months not 15 years self life on the Avgas. Also in an auto engine, if you are lugging it and doing much idling and not keeping the RPM's high, the lead will tend to build up and foul plugs. Pull a plug on a low RPM recip A/C engine and you can see the lead build up, one of the reasons for lots of space around the insulator.

Haha! Gosh, I haven't seen Stripes since it first came out in the theater. I forgot about the freakin' UAV-1, LOL! However, that's not what I was really getting at fellas. If I was, I'd say steer clear if I make a slow left bank in the damn thing and have a bank of Dillon Aero's open up on a <span style="text-decoration: line-through">overpass in East L.A.</span> small village in Southeast Asia like Spooky. J/K.

All kidding aside, I was thinking of it more as a crisis evacuation or a mobile command center type of rig. Big enough to get me & the family (and most of our gear) out past the 1st & 2nd perimeter of immediate danger in the city for a couple of days and head up to some property I have available in Northern AZ. I'd still be able to be mobile with the Jeep while the RV acts as a temporary base camp, if you will. I wasn't looking for an ultimate battlewagon for the End Times or roaming the desert for 40 years with it. I'm more of a Mad Max kind of guy anyway, LOL.
    grin.gif

Thanks for the informative dry camping advice, hankpac. Much appreciated. I'm looking for creative storage solutions for locking up firearms & ammo securely, making better use of available storage, what type of commo equipment that's good to go, etc. I know that folks that've had RVs for a long time can be rather resourceful.

I'm hoping to draw from some of that wisdom without looking like some kook at the local Camping World. I guess my next best bet is to find and ask an RV'er whose proudly flying Old Glory and his USMC colors. He might just have an old Garand & 1911 tucked away in there somewhere. Lindy?

havent any of you seen hills have eyes? clearly demonstrates that rv's are not zombie proof. and tremors graboids gobble em up! lol.
    i really think people are way too focused on the store it now like a squirrel philosophy. since in any major cataclysm by definition there'll be mass casualties probably based mostly on blind luck of who is where when it occurs who will initially be dead and who aint. and after the initial death tally from ____(insert disaster type here) happens, supplies will probably be more readily available than they are now.
    i plan on commandeering a porshe and driving around shooting zombies out my windows and when i run out iof gas...get in the next abandoned vehicle.
    anyway if society has not deteriated to this level than i dont see myself"bugging out" anyway. guess my 2 pennies is, on site procurement folks and for now, cross train in a broad skillset.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dammit 9H.... I was trying to find a pic of the Urban Assault Vehicle this whole time and you beat me to it </div></div>

Stripes_664a.jpg

Stripes_706.jpg

Stripes_558.jpg

And, finally, no Stripes reference can be complete without Dewey Oxberger aka "Ox".

Stripes_717.jpg
    </div></div>

That vehicle is a small model right? Somehow certian pieces don't look to scale.

1st lesson in survival, always get equipment close to what the military has.

The reality is that in a real life or death situation where you have to leave your home in a city to evade some attack a vehicle of any kind is not going to be much good. The roads will be blocked with traffic. The enemy will be on those roads as well as every nut job around.
    The best plan is one of stelth and concealment.
    Have a layup position that is well concealed and out of the way that you can easily get to on foot with your emergeny gear on your back. Move to that position and hide till nightfall.
    Then reasses your situation and if possible move out under the cover of darkness along a pre arranged route that gives you cover and concealment to another hiding place .
    The people that are moving about on the roads will be targets.
    They will keep the enemy busy while you quietly slip away.
    Do not under any circumstances detour from your plan to save someone else that is not part of your plan. This is a sure way to get you and your family caught.
    Its an unfortunate fact of survival in a life or death situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dj70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1st lesson in survival, always get equipment close to what the military has. </div></div>

1000+ on that. Why bother doing research or trial and error on equipments? Uncle Sam has done the research for you during their selection process. Hell, he paid it with your money, so why spend more money to try something else?

If SHTF, the highways will be clogged beyond belief. Frankly, I would not attempt to bug out of a major metro area in a regular vehicle unless I was prepared to abandon the vehicle and go on foot. Maybe a 4 wheeler would be better

I haven't played around with avgas for many years but I believe the stated 'shelf life' is 12 months but you could probably use if for much longer depending upon your storage conditions. Unless it's changed avgas had a high lead content which your late model computerized automobile isn't going to like very well. First thing to do is cut off the catalytic converter before the lead destroys it.

1. don't live in north east
    2. don't live near city
    3. have a mule or trail horse(s)
    4. for vehicle have this. you can always get fuel from abandoned semis.

dodgetruck.jpg

The fuel semi burn is a little heavier,more ioly than diesel burning cars,pick-ups. If semi burn the car type,the semi motors will get hot and cook. The cars problary could burn it but it may also have issues. I'll not abandoned my semi,I'll plow my way home!

I thought #2 diesel was all the same. I didn't realize that there are cars that require #1 diesel (kerosene)

My buddy has a purpose built 2 stage fuel trailer ,1 stage for diesel and 1 for gasoline... Each stage can hold 1000 litres of each. He has a toyota Hilux 4 X 4. On the roof he has a purpose built rack for tents etc. He recklons with guns and supplies he could stay out for 6weeks.

Trust me my Cummins runs on the same stuff that is put in semis.
    Now if you have a Powerpoke or a Shatterolet, thinks may be different.

How about a multifuel engine? Sure would nice to be able to run on french fry grease.

There are some kits for the older,non-computer cars that can be conventedto run on propane. Also kits or the whole set-up for a small gen/light power plant. I've seen one of those french fry grease runners in Moab....it was't very clean.Its involed,gotta make the rounds to the cooking joints and then screen it, ANd pre-heated before the motor can use it.The victim was an old Mercedes Benez.... In WW2, the Germans had a wood burning fired car,well,let's see there's a clunk of trees ten miles ahead,daw dang it,I hope that big wood burning bus does't cut it all down.....Gee,there's not hardly a tree left!

Securing firearms in your trailer is a chancy issue to start with, since there really isn't a strong point anywhere. However, I have a "Front Couch" which means the couch/divan runs across the width of the front end of the RV, and is a convertible (flop the cushions, extend the bottom and you have a bed). I can weld up a couple of sheets of steel, and make a strong box with a door that runs across the entire front. The idea is to keep someone out if you are gone, right? Well, I would take the gun WITH me, in my perception of any high-risk scenario. And if I am home,, I want the weapon right by my bed, in the open, under the same scenario (with someone standing guard mount outside, me taking a turn). If one is talking about keeping things secure while one runs into Walmart, then it really isn't that high risk a scenario is it?
    The underneath of any seat that is long enough for long guns would suffice, also the bed, especially if you have the bed with the lifts, that props it up for access to the storage.
    Every storage cabinet is already full in ours, so dedicating a lock box from one of the closets is out. I am building some shelving/entertainment system, into the front behind/above the couch, so that may have a flip-down bottom cabinet to store an AR and or shotgun. Also there is an area above the window, that could take a new cabinet, that matches the old ones.
    As to diesel, the book that came with my 06 Dodge says no more than 10% bio-diesel. On cross country trips (one of which I am on now) we fuel in the truck lane if not crowded with big rigs. I also use the additive, which keeps the injectors clean and lowers the gel point.
    Now, as clearly and correctly (imnsho) noted in other posts above, bugging out in a severe shtf scenario is not going to work. it is far better to stage right there ("bug in") and wait it out.
    My set up is mostly for long distance travel, and month long hunting trips.
    In a foreseable scenario (hurricane is one such) we can leave far earlier than the idiots who wait until it is a crisis, and be ready to go in minutes. My own sister lived in NOLA, and left a full week before Katrina, when the storm was in Cuba.
    the likely hood of a natural disaster (earthquake during winter months for those of us in the west coast) is far more likely than the usual imagined people running wild scenario of most "survivalists come up with. However that particular scenario of complete loss of civil control is becoming more and more likely every single day.
    The veneer of civilization is thin indeed.

Did you hear the latest from the head of Putin's economic team today? "By 2010 the USA will disintegrate into six regional states after the president attempts to impose martial law."

I read that 10 years ago in THE SOVERIGN INDIVIDUAL (required reading!)

I saw a map of the supposed 6 states and it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of American culture. Would the conservatives of the rocky mountain west really align politically with the libtards of the SF Bay area?

Given a real meltdown, the SF bay people only have 3 days of food and no guns. Guess what would become of them? I doubt many would make it as far as UT or WY!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crazy Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fuel semi burn is a little heavier,more ioly than diesel burning cars,pick-ups. If semi burn the car type,the semi motors will get hot and cook. The cars problary could burn it but it may also have issues. I'll not abandoned my semi,I'll plow my way home! </div></div>

Bullshit....you have no idea what you are talking about. They all burn the same fuel which is ulsd. You can run off road dyed fuel in any of them too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you hear the latest from the head of Putin's economic team today? "By 2010 the USA will disintegrate into six regional states after the president attempts to impose martial law."

I read that 10 years ago in THE SOVERIGN INDIVIDUAL (required reading!) </div></div>

Guess they were wrong...Although I could deal with Texas as one of those states - I think martial law may not fly as well here as say - Chicago.

Mechanicaly injected diesel engines can run on used motor oil, trans fluid mixed with a little gaoline, SVO, mineral oil, or any combination if it's not too cold to flow. Indirect injection does a little better than direct because it gives whatever more of chance to vaporize.
    Securing your firearms weld in a 1/4in steel box out of sight if possible. People do this all the time for other valuables and international vehicle travel. Not just on RV's either.
    The big problem though is traffic in a big city. If you are taking a vehicle out you need to be either first or wait till its cleared out. Unless you have a vehicle thats capable enough not to be constricited to roads. Depending on where your at that could mean a dirt bike, ATV, or a 4x4. You have to plan a route well ahead of time. With alternate routes if your going to be successful in our maneuvering traffic. Then again you may not be the only one to think its s good route. Even with Natural Distasters think Katrina look how many people were broke down out of gas stuck on the road blocking traffic. What was a 2 hr drive turned into a 10 hr drive for alot of people. Fuel is always the first resource to go because all the idiots that don't keep their cars topped off bum rush the first gas station they come to. Which leaves another good point for Diesel. In the US most of our cars are gas so it's more likely you'd still be able to find Diesel. Unless you buy a Bradley your not going far pushing cars out of the way. So route planning and maybe even stagging are some very important considerations. Say you put your RV in storage ready to go outside the city. Then if you and the family have to hump it out at least you know where your heading. Don't forget bolts cutters.
    If its truly a SHTF situation you need to be able to get fuel for your vehicle so don't over look a hand pump and extra hose. In all reality the ultimate SHTF vehicle is a well trained horse.

I'm going to be a little more realistic since I'm not a "doomsdayer".

I do have a Camper, its a Horse trailer with living quarters, and we have had to "bug our" more then once.

I live in the Black Hills and we have more then our share of fires. At times we are told to leave.

I always keep the camper stocked for fishing, hunting and shooting matches, AND in case we have to leave because of fires.

The County Fairgounds have camping spots they are ready to line us up with pins for the horses, plug ins and water.

We just set back with others evacuees and let the fireman do their work.

Sine its a horse trailer/camper we have plenty of room for things that can't be replaced incase the fires do wipe us out.

There are several Girls on my Granddaughter's basketball team that are also in HS Rodeo, the keep a supply of hay for their horses and are there to make sure I have hay for the horses.

Though as I said, I'm not a doomsdayer, If I was this would be good training.

Sure makes it nice when you can camp on the range at rifle matches too.

You boys need to sell out, buy you a little place in some god forsaken place that the Govt has no interest in.The trick to survival is to see the danger before the masses. Get prepared, you are going to need water, shelter and food. Long term that means a permanent water source such as a well or spring. You will need to grow food so you don't need to wait until the shit hits the fan to start.

I have rejuvenated two wells and have been growing most of everything my family needs for a couple of yrs now. I'm not really a doomsdayer but I like to grow things and working around the place is a great stress reliever.

I have beef cattle and a couple of dairy cows, it's kinda neat to not have to buy milk or butter. My Father-in-Law has an old grist mill and also an old sorgrahm mill. We grew sugar cane and made syrup a few yrs ago just to pass the process on to the younger folks.

Large cities are going to be he'll on earth if services break down, a fat portfolio won't mean squat.

Just closed the deal on a 10 year old 34' 5th wheel to haul behind my 93 Dodge CTD 4x4. Not really a "bug out" set up, but is able to get me anywhere I need to go and have enough supplis to get by. May even be my primary residence for a while.
    Actually has a couple under the floor stash spots, one with a steel lock box big enough for a pistol and mags.
    Eric