• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Survival Shelter, Alaska

Bergmann

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2010
Eisenheim, Alaska,
Built this on my last survival drill..

I was able to limit the noise signature by utilizing debris from a shelter I had made two year prior and using a saw with limited chopping..

P1010018-1.jpg

P1010026-1.jpg

P1010036-1.jpg

P1010035.jpg

SANY0074.jpg

First I made mt fire deflector. Used broken sticks from the ground and Y pieces to fashion it together..Used a small length of 550 to tension it together..Its stands on a tri-pod so if i have to move it after the shelter comes together, i can just pick it up and move it..

SANY0078.jpg

SANY0080.jpg

SANY0079.jpg

Then I got busy on the frame of my lean-2...Again i used the remains of an old shelter i had made and used a hand saw when needed. I used my big knife some. Mostly for skinning off limbs from some fallen pines i found...

SANY0081.jpg

SANY0082.jpg

Re: Survival Shelter, Alaska

SANY0083.jpg

SANY0084.jpg

By night fall the shelter was coming together fine..I sealed off the ends with debris i collected from the forest ground. I used limited pine on the roof then covered it with a basha. It held in the heat really really well.

00010223.jpg

00010220.jpg

00010218.jpg

SANY0107.jpg

SANY0101.jpg

That first picture of the shelter in the snow, what was the tempature outside? Also in a shelter like that with the snow on top it looked like you had a candle inside to warm it up how much of an affect did that have, I haven't ever had the opportunity to set up a shelter in hardcore winter like that.

Hi-
The temp outside was -12 in the day and in the -20s at night..The candle did heat the inside to 34. I had a thermometer with me and did measure the inside temp..The snow started melting in on me. Had to blow it out but i was still insulated and slept well.

Such shelters will get you wet, and in cold weather that can be very dangerous.

It would be better to use a small light weight, free standing mountain tent. A one man tent is pretty light (mine weighs a hair less the 7 lbs.

You'd be supprised how a candle will take the chill off even down to 50-60 below. A rain fly will give you insulation without having all the melted snow fall in on you.

Not to mention its much quicker.

What or why is winter survival drill?

Nice hut but I would recommend getting an area up off the ground for the body. And that seems like a lot of work unless rooted in.

In my kit, I always have a Integral Designs Silshelter or siltarp and a reflective foil bivy tube for emergencies. I also had built and carried a WildThings Andinista pack that doubled as a bivvy sack.

Did a documentary that aired in winter of 89-99, temps were around -50, dug a snow hole, measured the outside temp and then inside the snow hole and then with a candle and bodies inside the snow hole. Just the snow hole was 10-15 warmer, candle with bodies got up into the positive temps.

On many winter trips, I have sparked the stove up and we laid on top of sleeping bags with just base and mid layers on, relaxing in warm comfort while the hot was cooking.

I would cut enough pine bows to line the floor and get you up off the snow. Kraigs comment about the tent is pretty valid. I had to make a few shelters for a survival class in the Idaho version of Siberia just outside of Yellowstone, I found the it was difficult not to sweat just making a snow shelter. Once you get wet...it can go down hill pretty fast. It's always been a bit of a novelty camping in a snow shelter, I don't think I would really want to make a habit of. There are lots of different ways to make a survival shelter in the snow, but I think Kraigs Idea is the best. I think my favorite from the course was a snow trench. It was pretty warm,easy to build and not easily seen. It allowed me to cover the house we were doing a raid on, but didn't give me a lot of mobility. Laying still in the snow for hours sucks.

Most shelter construction burns calories. Chopping, sawing, dragging, lifting, etc. Only good for rooting. Digging a snow cave or constructing a quinzee is very time consuming and burns tons of calories. You get wet from exertion plus wet from all the snow. I dug snow caves at 40 below and got soaked. Take shifts digging. But in a blow, a snow hole is supreme. I instructed winter survival course's where students dug snow caves and quinzees. Students were zapped, cold, tired and wet. We then erected tents. Have to know, rooting or moving.

Like kraig said, a small bivy tent with the poles on the inside is the go to tent for the backcountry. Pack down to about the size of a football and weigh around 4# some even less. Time from pack to erect is less than a minute. But, the point is sometimes you do not have tents. On one course, up on a ridge working on rope skills, a good blow came through and a couple tents became sails and went down over the ridge.

In the alpine and tundra, the wind can be ferocious. On one course we had tents from students blown apart by the wind and feared all tents would go. Dug into bolt holes through the night. Called safety and skied home the next afternoon after the blow let up. In these conditions, a bolt hole is a must.

In Alaska, in winter we used bolt holes. Basically burrow into the snow and place tarp, tent sans poles, pack, limbs, etc over the opening, roll the edges of tarp or tent up underneath our bodies. Burns little calories for the protection against the weather. Underneath a good sitka is a natural hole.

Nothing like a tarp and some spruce trees. Blue tarp is the best $10 survival tool you can carry in the snowgo. And a cell phone...

A small mountain tent weighs less then the tarp. Works a lot better. Keeps you dryer and warmer.

I always kept one in my ruck. You never leave your ruck anyway.

That's some Rambo skills right there.
laugh.gif

I prefer my North Face Westwind, circa 1985, and a Thermarest.
wink.gif

We made several shelters of different types on my S.E.R.E course .We made that exact shelter too, what i learned was id hate to have to do it for real, we were very tired ,wet,thirsty and felt starving.The amount of effort it takes when your in that state to build a shelter is unreal, I also could not believe how cold i was in it.I had a fire that took me 2 hours to start and i ran out of fuel half way through the night .The amount of wood you need to gather to keep a fire going all night is savage.I spent the last few hours that particular night with stones taken out of the fire under my armpits trying to stay warm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiddenmongoose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We made several shelters of different types on my S.E.R.E course .We made that exact shelter too, what i learned was id hate to have to do it for real, we were very tired ,wet,thirsty and felt starving.The amount of effort it takes when your in that state to build a shelter is unreal, I also could not believe how cold i was in it.I had a fire that took me 2 hours to start and i ran out of fuel half way through the night .The amount of wood you need to gather to keep a fire going all night is savage.I spent the last few hours that particular night with stones taken out of the fire under my armpits trying to stay warm. </div></div>

That's one honest post there..Thanks..I appreciate stories of over coming adversity in the wild..Ive been out in -50 here in Alaska and I went the hell home at 3AM when my sleep sack started steaming up like a hot potato then froze up...Yeah I learned that night.

SANY0060.jpg

SANY0029.jpg

Anyhow as to my original pics..Yes, I could have taken a Tent but that wouldn't have been much to talk about. The point was to learn And what would i have learned about myself tossing up a tent?

I had pulled my sled about 6 miles through waist deep snow wearing snow shoes that day..I was out of life when I got to building and worse when i was done....I had no energy for a fire or any other tarding about other then absolute necessities... It was that simple...

P1010032.jpg

P1010038.jpg

I murdered mass pine trees to make the shelter..

P1010017-1.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010012.jpg

I used a Mylar sheet and poncho liner as a ground sheet. Yes you can get wet but with out any shelter there is much more certainty you'll get dead.

First I think you should dump the snow shoes for skis. Much more effective and less tiring by a long shot.

The only time I felt the need to use an akio or sled was during guard drills when we used them to carry the 12 man tent, yukon stove, fuel, etc., then we had a squad of troops pulling the sled.

I've never pulled one by my self, I've always been able to get everything I needed in my ruck.

It'd be interesting to go out with you on a trip, I'm kind of interested to see how this happened.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my sleep sack started steaming up like a hot potato then froze up...</div></div>

You should sleep a tad bit cool (not cold) and not allow your body to sweat that much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had no energy for a fire</div></div>

That should have been built first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used a Mylar sheet and poncho liner as a ground sheet. Yes you can get wet but with out any shelter there is much more certainty you'll get dead.</div></div>

I disagree with that. I don't do wet. That's why I like little tents. About three lbs, probably the weight of the knife you wouldn't need if you had a tent.

Speaking of which, I've found a small "boys ax" to be much more effective then a knife, regardless of the size of the knife.

This picture was taken during a 100 mile ski trip east of Kotsubue. Everything I needed was in my ruck.

Snow%20Patrol%20001.jpg

what kind of tent are you talking about kraig? i used a hilleberg (keron, for 3 persons) on iceland (one of the very few tents that survived a sand storm at askja caldera) but i wouldn't want to carry it all day alone ... we intend to do some extensive winter-hikes here in the alps coming winter

I use a small freestanding one man tent I got from REI years ago, I forget what model, I doubt the even list it any more. They do however list several. Mine weights right at 3 lbs.

Just takes a few seconds to set up. I light my MSR outside and when it gets going I put it in the tent for a minute or two. Warms right up. Then a candle keeps the chill off.

When I say free standing, they can be put up without having to stake them down.

Depending where I'm at I don't normally stake them down. But in Northwestern Alaska, the wind often required they be staked. If you set up in the trees its not necessary.

I still use it here, but it gets windy in Wyoming.

All the tent needs to be is a wind brake, and rain proof, With a floor.

This is my Bibler I tent. From pack to standing takes about a 1 minute. The poles go inside the tent. I pull the tent out, slide the tent over my body with poles in my hands, stick one pole each in the back tent corner, they are reinforce so no poking holes through the tent, push the poles and then slide the other end of the pole in the front corner. Less than a single minute.

ak_ice_hunter_gal8.jpg

ak_ice_omalley_gal6.jpg

ak_ice_caribou_gal4.jpg

For guying out in wind, my cords have a loop a bunjee tied into the guy line. The bunjee will stretch some decreasing the stress on the tent, guy line and anchors. I have had this tent in seriously high wind in alpine mountains of Alaska and it has survived. For a good tent stake in snow, I make a snow blob around the end of guy line, pour a little water on it and let freeze, stuff this frozen mass into the snow. I now have I huge anchor for snow that will freeze itself into the surrounding snow pack. A quick stomp or chop on the snow blob when time to leave.

Also is super high wind, I crisscross additional P cord over the top of the tent like a net.

In my youth I used to love to go out and challenge myself. See how much I could take. So somewhere back in those memories I can appreciate what it was to go out and build a shelter in the snow or live off the land in a minimalist style. So from me, cudos to you Bergmann for learning what your personal limits are.

[img:left]
2012-10-13_08-48-39_133-1.jpg
[/img]

However now that I know, I'm also packing the Bibler mentioned above. There is no doubt that it is easier to use and drier (which I believe mean life in extreme conditions), but it is nice to know in the back of my mind that I could survive a while without it.

My best light tent is a Bibler. I love it.

October 2001 near Cold Bay A client and I got caught on the open tundra the wind was so strong we could not get the bibler set up. Used the hide from the clients bear to sleep under. not a comfortable night but was glad to have the hide from a big bear (28"+ skull)

Only time I ever had a prolbem with the bibler

KraigWY

You make many excelent points. The guy is learning his lessons the hard way and I give him credit for being out in the bush. I think it is very cool and hope he keeps trying things.

For just travling I prefer skis and a pack.

But for traping a akio and snow shoes are a must if you run a long line. Dead frozen animals must be taken back to the cabin to thaw so you can get the hide off.
I Tried putting 2 dead frozen wolf on a pack frame only one time. Never left the sled at the cabin after that.

I have used my Bibler sans poles as a bivy sack in high winds. Roll the edges up underneath the bodies to secure it and trickle charge.

Skiing with a pulk takes a very skilled skier unless sliding along flat open terrain. Skiing with 2, if a line is used between both skiers attached to the pulk in the middle, the rear skier can help control the pulk. Go uphill, good luck.

My partner did a trip testing a pulk out of Minnesota I believe. I skied with a well loaded pack. We did a long backcountry ski over diverse Alaskan terrain. Pure torture on him. The pulk broke through shelf ice, snagged on trees and brush, side hilled, rolled, knocked him down, we climbed slopes, had to push and pull the pulk up, all the while I swooshed and skinned up slopes. But, they carry a load. Some have rudders and brakes on them. Not a fan. Cost is outrageous.

We also used kiddie sleds. Cost is around $25 and up now, buy some PVC pipe over 5mm cord attached to the waist belt of pack harness. Drill holes in the top edge of the sled, lace some cord and bunjee as a netting to secure a duffel in the sled.

A trick is to tie large knots in cord every couple inches, tie to the front of the sled and let the knotted cord go underneath the sled to act as a brake.

A better option is a drag bag like the pig from WildThings. Carries a load of weight and slides easy but not too easy. Going up slope, it has straps that allow to carry like pack up the slope. Even a heavy duty cordura duffel used a drag is better than a sled.

Small steps in tight areas is best served with shoes. In certain snow pack like dry winter, long shoes tend to tip the wearer forward as the long tail of the shoe stays on top of the snow while the front with all the weight sinks in.

I prefer 140cm ski with a 88mm shovel and a side cut so the ski wants to turn. Climbing skins up and down slopes to help control. Not as fast a 215cm double camber but much faster and easier Vs shoes.

In Alaska range, skis on our left. Me on right in red. World class skiing. We had drag bags.
Camp00.jpg

Me skiing on 140cm skis wearing an overloaded pack. Look mom, its zero out and I am not wearing gloves or hat.
ak_ice_caribou_gal1.jpg

Me skiing on overflow in about -30 or -40 temps. Brutal cold trip!
ak_ice_caribou_gal10.jpg

Pulling Sleds are a curse but sometimes are a necessity
I have often thought about using a snow drag bag made of the same material that rafts are made out of. Years ago I even bought some PVC coated Dacron from Alaska Tent and Tarp and planed to build a Snow Drag Bag. My sewing machine was not heavy duty enough to get the job done and I gave up.
Never knew if the snow drag bag idea would work Your suggestion of the pig from Wild Things has motivated me to try again
I have a new Sewing Machine that Stew from Red Tac Gear helped me get. I will have to restart the snow drag bag project.

My nuttsack gets chilled just reading this thread.
Campers are OK!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">45.308
Pulling Sleds are a curse but sometimes are a necessity
I have often thought about using a snow drag bag made of the same material that rafts are made out of. Years ago I even bought some PVC coated Dacron from Alaska Tent and Tarp and planed to build a Snow Drag Bag. My sewing machine was not heavy duty enough to get the job done and I gave up.
Never knew if the snow drag bag idea would work Your suggestion of the pig from Wild Things has motivated me to try again
I have a new Sewing Machine that Stew from Red Tac Gear helped me get. I will have to restart the snow drag bag project.
</div></div>

The yellow pig, well they are now gray has a bow in the front like a boat and square rear. The pulling loop on the front is reinforced, carry handles that can double as shoulder straps. 8000ci or 10000ci. Mine has compression straps on the top to compress the load, secure the load and to lash oversize kit on the outside. It is made of PVC. I drug it once across the asphalt ramp at the Talkeetna airport due to it was too heavy to pick up and carry. Had a few scars but survived the drag.

On snow it slides fairly easily but not so easy to hit me in the back of the legs like a sled. Like anything being pulled, on a side hill does want to roll but again, its not the easy to flip, pull the body down sled torture.

Thanks for the info.

I am thinking of a drag bag that has a swilvel on the nose and no external straps so when it roles it still pulls the same.

I just got back from Iliamna and am home in Talkeetna for a few days.

You may have pulled your pig past my old hanger that is between K2 and Talkeetna Air Taxi

Do you have stick time with geeting? Was a stick jockey named jacques back about 10 years ago flew into the gorge.

Keli and Carol were my neighbors for quite sometime. Wife and them talked frequent and they sun bathed when the sun allowed. Liked them, good people. Good rates.

Flew TAT a few times but that is all I will say.

We use to fly up and have lunch at 61 and the roadhouse.

Re: Survival Shelter, Alaska (Lean-to front "door"

A reflector fire for a lean-to is nice but with clear plastic sheeting covering the entire front of the lean-to the fire's radiant heat still enters and STAYS in the lean-to.

Try this sometime and you'll be surprised at the warmth. I've field repaired a pump shotgun in this situation before B/C at +10 F. outside temp the lean-to was warm enough inside to work with my bare fingers with no discomfort at all.

Some awesome looking shelters , makes me want to go out and make something!

Snow shoes are a must when pulling a full akio up a mountain side IMO. Skis? Not a chance. It was a challenge enough going up the hill with the snow shoes.

Those thermal shelters aren't bad, they take a lot of work and if done right aren't bad to sleep in. Temps only went down to -15F when I was in one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snow shoes are a must when pulling a full akio up a mountain side IMO. Skis? Not a chance.</div></div>

I disagree, that's all we used (skis). Depending on the skis you can was or use molehair.

Much easier then snow shoes in my opinion. Faster too.

OK you folks much wiser than I, whats the reason to construct a shelter on top of the snow vice digging a snow trench?

Planning a trip in the next few weeks and it will be my first snow camping trip. Have done a couple of day trips where I made a few different types of shelters to see which was the best all around based on ease of construction, speed to set up, difficulty in setting up and warmth.

The best all around seemed to be a snow trench about 2.5' deep x 2.5' wide x about 7' long. Digging the snow seemed much easier than chopping or sawing and hauling logs around. I lined the trench with a casualty blanket (a ripstop tarp with spaceblanket reflective side) then I placed deadfall sticks I gathered across the top which was then covered with a poncho that I covered heavy around the edged with snow and a light layer of snow on top.

Inside I placed an exped downmat ul pad and my -20 snugpak sleeping bag inside its bivy. I set it up with my head facing the open side and used my pack as a door of sorts to close off the opening. Temps were in the mid teens and it was comfortable inside the shelter but is didnt spend the night in it so it may end up sucking really bad closer to zero lol.

So before I do something really dumb is this just a terrible set up? My train of thought was to have the attributes of an igloo in so far as using snow for insulation but I didnt have the skill or time to actually make an igloo.

For the record the plan is to go several times over this winter but the site we have in mind is about a mile and a half away from the parking lot. We all admit we have no clue what we are doing so for the sake of safety we want to be fairly close to the vehicles in case we get in over our heads. By next winter we want to be able to take what we learn this year to plan some longer and more remote trips.

So back to the original question...why not a snow trench shelter?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snow shoes are a must when pulling a full akio up a mountain side IMO. Skis? Not a chance.</div></div>

I disagree, that's all we used (skis). Depending on the skis you can was or use molehair.

Much easier then snow shoes in my opinion. Faster too. </div></div>
The new snow shoes we are using versus the tennis rackets are great. Molehair?

Your still digging out the snow down to ground level. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK you folks much wiser than I, whats the reason to construct a shelter on top of the snow vice digging a snow trench?

Planning a trip in the next few weeks and it will be my first snow camping trip. Have done a couple of day trips where I made a few different types of shelters to see which was the best all around based on ease of construction, speed to set up, difficulty in setting up and warmth.

The best all around seemed to be a snow trench about 2.5' deep x 2.5' wide x about 7' long. Digging the snow seemed much easier than chopping or sawing and hauling logs around. I lined the trench with a casualty blanket (a ripstop tarp with spaceblanket reflective side) then I placed deadfall sticks I gathered across the top which was then covered with a poncho that I covered heavy around the edged with snow and a light layer of snow on top.

Inside I placed an exped downmat ul pad and my -20 snugpak sleeping bag inside its bivy. I set it up with my head facing the open side and used my pack as a door of sorts to close off the opening. Temps were in the mid teens and it was comfortable inside the shelter but is didnt spend the night in it so it may end up sucking really bad closer to zero lol.

So before I do something really dumb is this just a terrible set up? My train of thought was to have the attributes of an igloo in so far as using snow for insulation but I didnt have the skill or time to actually make an igloo.

For the record the plan is to go several times over this winter but the site we have in mind is about a mile and a half away from the parking lot. We all admit we have no clue what we are doing so for the sake of safety we want to be fairly close to the vehicles in case we get in over our heads. By next winter we want to be able to take what we learn this year to plan some longer and more remote trips.

So back to the original question...why not a snow trench shelter? </div></div>

Probe had depth just shy of 5' didn't dig all the way down. Any reason to do so? THAT would be a lot of work in which case me thinks I would start looking at tents.

fully agree with kraig

with skies you can go up almost any mountain (we routinely do that in winter in the eastern alps during our mountain rescue shifts). in addition you gain in speed (compared to snow shoes), especially when it's either flat or going down. and speed-for-free in bad weather is always good. on top of that you can use skies as a backup-akja - with a backpack to rest on and insulation foil (the golden/silver one) you can get someone pretty far with a limited amount of effort (but it's not the best way of transport. i was in one during a glacier trip for testing purposes...)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...why not a snow trench shelter?</div></div>

You get wet. Regardless how cold, in snow shelters, some of it melts. Either the heat from candles, back pack stove, or body heat, you're gonna get wet.

That's why I like a little back pack mountain tent. Light and dry. In high winds you can build a snow wall around it, but they are water proof, snow wont get to you, if it cant get to you it wont get you wet.

I don't do wet in extreme cold weather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mohair</div></div>

Moe here is a strip of "Mohair" material you lace to the bottom of your skis, like dragging a deer back wards or forward. The hair grips the snow and you can dern near walk straight up.

If you have the right skis and wax you can do the same thing.

Good to know, thanks for the explanation. Like I said earlier I didnt sleep in the shelter so no idea what it would be like over the course of many hours.

Digging down into the snow pack like a trench creates a cold sink where cold air pools and can lower the temperate inside trench quite a bit.

Shoveling, digging, building any type snow shelter or any shelter demands great energy of the body. Caloric burn does not out weigh the shelter. Digging you get wet from outside snow or you get wet from body sweat while digging.

Snow shelters do drip but with a little care, its not that bad. As a drip develops, cut the point off where it drips. High point the area your body is on so the melt is around the low edges. Dig a cold sink too near the door.

Once again, I use and taught what I call bolt holes; any place that has snow piled up above ground found just about everywhere snow and wind like the leeward side of any small terrain bump river bank, stand of trees, anyplace the wind deposits snow = not in an avalanche zone. Simple burrow into the snow pack horizontally just proud up with just enough room for the body, place packs, siltarp, tent body, etc over the entrance and lay on foam pad. Clump of veggies, pile of rocks or a big rock, river bank, ditch, wrap a tarp or tent body around your body as you lean into a veggie clump, the veggies, rock, earth break the wind and tarp stops it. Sit on your pack or pad. Burns virtually no calories but provides shelter. Integral Designs make a shelter just for this. I have used tent body sans poles too. Had a backpack that I can get into from my neck down, like a bivy sack.

Its hard to beat a simple single layer bivy tent like a Bibler / Black Diamond. Around 4 pounds or less. But wind up in the high hills can blow with more force than a hurricane and I have witnessed tents come apart in the Alaska mountain wind. So, while snow shelters burn calories and get you wet, at times a bolt hole is a must for fun time and/or survival.

Most of this comes down to what is required of the shelter. Shelter from a blow, storms last a few hours to a few days, overnight, weekend, week, month, full season or full survival mode. Like anything, learn then go apply what you learn and see what really works = this is real learning out in the hills. Have a quiver a skill sets and regularly apply them to hone them and keep them sharp. I use to make notes on every trip either guided or personal.

Skis and a pulk uphill. Define uphill? Again, side hilling pulling anything, the anything will want to roll and slide down the hill pulling you the skier side ways and off balance.

Snowshoes for deep snow pack will tip the body forward as the tail floats with little weight as the front will want to sink into the snowpack. The bigger the snowshoe and the more drier and deeper the snowpack the more you are off balance.

Molehair is not the best skinning material these days. Ascension makes the best skins for skis. There are times ski crampons are used for going up hill but if its that icy, safer to take the skis off.

Skis vs shoes. Its quite simple, have one user with each and go into the backcountry and see who travels the fastest burning the least calories. Cant ski, buy short wide skis, this is the trick, short and wide and stick full length skins on your skis. The friction of the skin even going forward and down hill will be enough to allow you to ski with ease. The gait is a walk glide but the knee comes up less and the glide, shoes have no glide.

And if you travel in the snow, a half mile or days in, its a must to take an avalanche awareness class.

One and half miles in the backcountry, backcountry travelers die every year less than a mile from their car and some within sight of a house/cabin/car.

-57 here this morning, I think a full cabin or an arctic oven is the only thing that would make it bearable.