• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft SURVIVAL

Re: SURVIVAL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hattori Hanz&#333;</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonewolf&#8207;</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> chode hippies who graduated the Tom Brown Tracker School at most.

I am trying to let you know that ALL that shit your adding to your vehicle is bs. You say the "LONG HAUL" hence your name; yet do you plan on carrying all of that crap especially if you are in a "what you call call" SHTF situation?
</div></div>

The info on those "survival school" websites always cracks me up... The amount of shit they recommend people carry is astonishing & laughable. Stuff like a "back up compass for the back up compass" What about the back brace for your herniated disc from hauling all that crap?

Equally as frustrating to me is people who carry around "survival field guides" Do your studying before you go. If you can't learn what you need to know before you go, then maybe you don't belong going.

The recommendation of bringing sutures is a joke right? I can't think of a single place in CONUS where it would be better to suture yourself then just wrap the wound and wait till you get to a real hospital. Third world country where sanitation/supply may be an issue, okay.. I'll give you that, but I don't think that's gonna be an issue on your off roading trip in Cali.

Oh & CKA, thanks for a good laugh
grin.gif
</div></div>

agreed with you all the way up until the part about sutures...if a guy knows how to do it right(and this is the big if) a suture is the cleanest and best way to deal with many lacerations. ive been known to get cut at work on a bridgeport, run home suture it up and return for work within a lunchbreak. it aint rocket science but care should be taken in the sanitation aspect.
i dont carry a ruck full of crap on outings but i usually have a suture kit handy in the truck or daypack.

sure tai;
you put alot of info out there most already learned,the lighter the kit the better, tampons? really;yes they make great hole plugs, maxi pads to make great packing for majior wounds, crazy glue works wonders too, dont rely on technolgy cell phones gps ect;one well placed E.M.P. will kill all electronic's,even modern cars and trucks, pre 75' will survive these.
a grab bag that one has set up for a 72 hour,will work fine.pack it leave it alone, a daily trip kit to carry everywhere else fine, shtf wait for all the wanna-b's to drive down the high-way and take their's,

This whole page is awesome. I'm going to re-pack my ruck KISS style and take it on a 5 day FTX to see if what he said "holds water" (that's a survival joke)

I made a bug out bag when I was younger that had a bunch of cheap magnetic alarms in it that I could set up with fishing line and make a perimeter around my "camp." They were about an ounce a piece. I felt like a security genius hahaha.

Looks like I have my work cut out for me. Too much garbage going on to let my survival skills deteriorate, better man up and practice some field craft.

Anyone smell what I'm stepping in?

wow now this is an awesome forum ... ok well I live in northern well close north Ontario Canada... we moved here for this type of stuff and attitude...

wow ok well, after reading I would suggest a short barrelled 20 Gauage shot gun instead of a 22lr anything. I keep a short double coach gun , and 4 types of shot (including 5 slug rounds, 5 SSG, and two other bird type loads...

Just a quick note well the pre 1975 autos shouls actually say pre 1970 models providing you have it turned off before the EMT strike..

Just remember friends, you still need to learn to survive without a backpack full of gear. It is always desirable to have your survival backpack with all the wonderful things it will serve you with. But if you dont know how to survive without your backpack, you are still no a real survivor.
Backpacks can be lost, forgotten, stolen, or drug off by a hungry bear, and then, where are you at that point?

I've been reading this post and have a question. Does everyone have perfect eye sight? Mine sucks at distance under arm lenght. Do you pack a pair of readers(me)in a hard case?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i love survival skills that require lists of merchandise from walmart camping section. </div></div>
This.
We rely too much on gear, rather than brains & balls.
From fit to fat in a few short generations.

All you need is the will to drive on, the rest will fall in place. If at anytime you loose your will to drive on, STOP, DROP, and push until you found it, then get back up and keep driving on, ROGER?

this is good stuff.

Other good stuff on the 'fire at this thread:

Mostly good stuff.. When all you your stuff runs out, you better know how to improvise. Survival is more than stuff and mental attitude, it is knowing what you need and where to get it. I enjoy reading other folks ideas.. Having taught this and having friends who are currently teaching in both military and civilian markets... There are many good ideas... The more you learn, the more you know. Experience is sometimes a hard teacher
. Some stuff sounds really good, until you practice it.. I have calmed down a lot over the years, seen stuff the seemed silly , actually work.. Seen people who seemed experts fall apart.. So ,, learn as much as possible.. The most important tool is you.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Mostly good stuff.. When all you your stuff runs out, you better know how to improvise. Survival is more than stuff and mental attitude, it is knowing what you need and where to get it. I enjoy reading other folks ideas.. Having taught this and having friends who are currently teaching in both military and civilian markets... There are many good ideas... The more you learn, the more you know. Experience is sometimes a hard teacher
. Some stuff sounds really good, until you practice it.. I have calmed down a lot over the years, seen stuff the seemed silly , actually work.. Seen people who seemed experts fall apart.. So ,, learn as much as possible.. The most important tool is you.
100% being well rounded and open minded is primary

think of the pilgrims,

they crossed with everything they thought they needed

and this is back in a time where there was no technology etc

they were already making their own clothes, farming, hunting, gathering ..the whole ball of wax

and they almost and would have died when moving to a similar location at approx. the same latitude

true long term survival is a lot of luck (getting injured, falling ill, parasite etc) and having a well rounded skill set which you then hone over years

first time you pick up the wrong mushroom or touch the hide of a animal and then taint the meat while butchering....adios