• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns SW 327 Nightguard

carterjoe

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 6, 2011
Silverdale, WA
Anyone have any experience with these? I have the itch to get my first wheelgun, and this is what I'm leaning towards. Looking at nightstand gun/occasional CC gun (probably with Milt Sparks VM2 holster) Opinions?

Re: SW 327 Nightguard

I like the Night Guard series. What about that model strikes your fancy? Caliber? Color? Size? Heft? Sights? I ask because there are a million revolvers out there, so maybe you are not aware of a different model that you might like better.

Personally, I really like the 610 Night Guard, which is the 10mm/40SW version.

I like the slightly chubby feel to the NGs, but not a lot of weight. Come with great sights for a wheelgun too.

You could do a lot worse!

Have you shot one?

I thought the same thing when I bought my 325. I bought a kydex paddle holster and some of the fancy plastic full moon clips. I was convinced this was going to be my lifelong CCW. That gun bucked like no other hand gun I have ever fired. The recoil was crazy and the gun was inaccurate.

I traded it in on a Kimber Ultra Super Carry, which I am very happy with.(except it will not fit in the holster)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you shot one?

I thought the same thing when I bought my 325. I bought a kydex paddle holster and some of the fancy plastic full moon clips. I was convinced this was going to be my lifelong CCW. That gun bucked like no other hand gun I have ever fired. The recoil was crazy and the gun was inaccurate.

I traded it in on a Kimber Ultra Super Carry, which I am very happy with.(except it will not fit in the holster) </div></div>

Interesting... How did it compare to an airlite 357mag? The 340pd, 340sc and M&P340 are RIDICULOUS with full power ammo. I thought the 325 had a bit more mass and would be ok. I don't mind the Ruger SP101 with 357 ammo...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you shot one?

I traded it in on a Kimber Ultra Super Carry, which I am very happy with.(except it will not fit in the holster) </div></div>

Interesting... How did it compare to an airlite 357mag? The 340pd, 340sc and M&P340 are RIDICULOUS with full power ammo. I thought the 325 had a bit more mass and would be ok. I don't mind the Ruger SP101 with 357 ammo... </div></div>

I have a 325NG and absolutely love it. Yes, it has above average recoil, but it's far less than any of my lightweight titanium .38s, etc. It's almost like a large pocket pistol due to the weight, and therefore is always brought along. It's accurate enough for a gun with a 2.5 inch barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the Night Guard series. What about that model strikes your fancy? Caliber? Color? Size? Heft? Sights? I ask because there are a million revolvers out there, so maybe you are not aware of a different model that you might like better.

Personally, I really like the 610 Night Guard, which is the 10mm/40SW version.

I like the slightly chubby feel to the NGs, but not a lot of weight. Come with great sights for a wheelgun too.

You could do a lot worse! </div></div>

10MM NG is no longer produced. Neither is my favorite, the 396NG in 44 special. It was a nice little L-Frame, five shot packin' pistol.

If the recoil on the 325 was that bad, I wonder how it would be on the 327 with full power .357 loads?

I've got a 327 NG (and a 310 NG) and don't feel that the recoil is bad at all. It's just right for the weight/power...not so heavy that it's pain to carry and not so light that it's a pain to shoot...just right. The sights are great and I like the compact grips.

Let's say this for about the seven millionth time in a gun forum: recoil is a subjectively experienced phenomenon.

Some guys don't need can openers, and, like Popeye, just squish them open when they needs their spinach. Others, puny humans, have to use can openers. The former are the few who say (and perceive) that there's little or no recoil problem with revolvers that sport stainless steel cylinders spinning inside frames made of Unobtanium or whatever in the hell it is that S&W is marketing this year. The latter are the vast majority of gun-toting humanity who come in three basic varieties: they either lie through their teeth because they don't want to look short-dicked before their buddies, they enjoy intense, painful recoil (and presumably basements that look like LA pawn-shop basements), or they stubbornly cling to what was a poorly thought-out investment.

It's in this third group of the latter that we find many new to newish firearms owners. Some hadn't yet understood the essential relationship between recoil and mass and didn't want to have to walk around with, let alone pick up in their hands a heavy pistol. Others commit the same hopeful error at least a few times, hoping to find a grail piece that delivers maximum downrange energy at a minimum weight. Unfortunately, unless you can just about shuck oysters with your fingertips, you accept pain, a brick in your belt, or a comparatively ineffectual caliber.