• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns SW 340PD Airlite

evilcoon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2012
Farmington Hills, MI
I finally got my hands on a light carry pistol. It's so light and compact I continuously make sure it's in place compared to my Glock.

0u6i.jpg

Would it make sense to use some sort of wire to attach? Obviously something that would break with force when drawn.

62ym.jpg

5 shots of for sure .357 is no joke. Some make a deal outta the muzzle flash in a snubby with .357 in low light situations. But to each their own. I would not be inclined to attach anything to the pistol, unless I was undertaking extraordinary physical activities. If you do attach, I'd practice drawing and shooting with it before putting the system in service...naturally.

People love or hate this revolver. No in the middle here, uh-uh, not room for it! I happen to love it.

I pocket carry mine, alone but usually as a backup to a Glock. This thing is LIGHT. And not made like shit either. We have the 317 aluminum .22 my wife likes to walk with, it is just about one ounce lighter than the 340PD. Recoil is nasty, but I still work through some magnums when I go pistol shooting since it is a carry weapon, then shoot some weak handload magnums, or specials or +P's for practice. Some folks just use +P's in 'em, but I find unless you use the full on 125gr. magnums, you lose out a lot on the velocity. A LOT. And you STILL get that snapping, punishing recoil either way. So I just suck it up, though firing this a lot for a long time could cause hand problems, nerve problems.

I got this thing right when it came out, damaged a cylinder and they replaced it within the same week. I shot 125's, but I shot 'em using around 17 grains or so of N110, not a good idea with snubs, but especially with a titanium cylinder. Lucky, lucky. So I use fast burners in it only.

You can get 'em with stainless cylinders, which adds a little weight, but takes care of some of the strength issues related to the titanium cylinder, and it reduces the recoil a tad. The Nightguard line has some nice ones too, in all kinds of calibers and with these stainless cylinders. Custom shop makes different all titanium and scandium models all the time too, like a 1-7/8" .45ACP or this one 8 shot in .357. I'd like one of those puppies, light and with a good trigger. The 329PD is on my buy list too because I could use an ultralight .44mag to hike with.

Hell, I have my 340PD right now, wore it to the dentist, and like the OP, I had to check because it is light enough you forget you have it! I love mine and I'd never sell it, this thing has been carried a lot for about ten years now.

Nice pistol and I agree with you guys on how good a CC this pistol is. The only difference is, I went with the 38 special version. I shoot with +P and that is more than enough fire power for me. Shooting that is brutal enough; I can only imagine how punishing the .357 magnum is.

Last edited:
I wouldn't try to lanyard it. I think that's what you're asking, maybe get a good secure but light holster to give you some piece of mind that it's not going anywhere. Trying to add a lanyard to something that will be in you waistband (I assume) seems like a tangle or a dick injury waiting to happen.

I carried one for about 6 months and I never noticed it was there. the only gun I've owned that was small and light enough to carry in a cargo pocket. Recoil with Buffalo Bore 125's and 158's was a lesson in brutality for sure. Nothing I fired through my 329PD compared to the palm beating of that little 357 bastard.

I am with RD here. The 329PD is brutal with full house 44Mag loads but the 340PD is just down right stupid with hot 357 loads. The 329PD and 340PD are far more difficult on the shooter than any 500/460 out there. I'd rather try shooting a 460 Weatherby with one hand (weak one at that) than a cylinder full of man loads in one of the scandium numbers.
On the other hand I carry a 342 SC EDC and would not trade it for anything. It is a great back up to my Shield.

Had one for a week, not fun with .38 loads, painful with .357 mags. The 100gr Powrball load froze my cylinder, had to send it back to S&W for repair, traded it when she returned.

Cool CCW concept weapon, to get someone off of ya in a pinch. Before you shoot the bad guy, let them know the shot is going to hurt you as much as it will them..

Had one for a week, not fun with .38 loads, painful with .357 mags. The 100gr Powrball load froze my cylinder, had to send it back to S&W for repair, traded it when she returned...

So the warning printed in the manual and on the side of the gun not to shoot less than 125 grn wasn't enough of a clue for you?

It is tool, it has its place, it is not a panacea. Great for NPE, and due to weight, outstanding for running with the right rig (I made mine out of neoprene). For general carry I prefer full size HGs.

I finally got my hands on a light carry pistol. It's so light and compact I continuously make sure it's in place compared to my Glock.

And then everybody who knows what to look for knows that you're carrying a firearm. Learn not to do that and to be conscious, instead, of the state of your garments. You do conceal, right?

Would it make sense to use some sort of wire to attach? Obviously something that would break with force when drawn.

As was previously mentioned, you're describing a lanyard. Aside from someone in the RCMP, folks tend to use them for outdoors pursuits in the back country, like hiking, camping, and slithering down ropes from helicopters, not for concealed carry.

I wouldn't try to lanyard it. I think that's what you're asking, maybe get a good secure but light holster to give you some piece of mind that it's not going anywhere. Trying to add a lanyard to something that will be in you waistband (I assume) seems like a tangle or a dick injury waiting to happen.

I carried one for about 6 months and I never noticed it was there. the only gun I've owned that was small and light enough to carry in a cargo pocket. Recoil with Buffalo Bore 125's and 158's was a lesson in brutality for sure. Nothing I fired through my 329PD compared to the palm beating of that little 357 bastard.

I've heard that too, that the .44 isn't has harsh as the .357. It HAS to be the most BRUTAL of all recoil in a handgun. And yeah, with full power .125gr. Gold Dots, it is damn harsh. Downright painful, and it isn't for everyone. I imagine a day will come when I can no longer handle it. But for now, it is one of the best CC revolvers around, if you want light and well made.

I don't know about the lanyard. I know there is a lug for one, but I've never heard of using one CC. Like I said, I just pocket carry, or put it a cargo pocket if I have the Glock too. A pocket holster would be more ideal, I think one day I may get one from Milt Sparks --I have three of their IWB VM2's and I love those. Great quality for the price.

If all you shoot is +P's, then I suppose either a +P special or a .357 would work. I thought the 340PD only came in .357 though.

Finding good full power .357 ammo that works well in it is key. Some ammo is crimped lighter than others and the recoil of this beast is enough to actually unseat the fifth round to the point it will jam. I've tested the stuff I'm using to around 15+ shots before it will jam (reloading the fifth round the same round each time). Another brand went 6 (Hornady?). So beware of that, test what you plan to use in this monster.

Another thing to beware is that the little lock they come with can and has actuated under recoil in some circumstances with the .357. I guess it isn't as big of a problem in larger weapons, but in the scandium ones it has been. So what I do, and I'm not recommending this, is to take it apart and simply dremel and/or file off the pin on the key flag. Then it all goes back together, no holes, key appears to work fine but the lock just doesn't do anything. If you did this, you'd either want to disclose it in writing or else buy a new flag from S&W and keep it on hand to change back for if you do sell it. All of ours are either lock free or lock disabled now. I prefer lock free weapons, many were made better, but there just are no scandium ones generally available that have no lock. Supposedly police departments can order them lock free. But I doubt they are ordering scandium either.

While you have it apart (if you do) there are trigger spring kits that can modify the trigger pull, perhaps more to your liking. I got several and just played with them with the J-frames and found what felt best for me, went and made sure it was reliable. Big changes can make them unreliable, stick to small changes in spring weights if at all, and don't reduce the hammer spring.

Yeah, when carrying your own perceptions of others seeing you can make you, in fact, give yourself away by checking on your piece. Eventually this will go away. You'll get better at carrying, learn to go with quality holsters and not junk, and then just walk around normally and nobody is usually ever the wiser. But I know what he means by checking on it --it is so light you forget you have it sometimes, even in your pocket. You wouldn't understand unless you had one.

So the warning printed in the manual and on the side of the gun not to shoot less than 125 grn wasn't enough of a clue for you?

It is tool, it has its place, it is not a panacea. Great for NPE, and due to weight, outstanding for running with the right rig (I made mine out of neoprene). For general carry I prefer full size HGs.

It was a early pistol as I had to have one when they came out, no warning of what you can run through it on the side, could have been in the manual. I told Smith what happen, I'm sure they would have let me know if that was the case.

Buffalo Bore make some ammo for it that will not have as large of a muzzle flash at night. Let me know more about the trigger stuff.

If all you shoot is +P's, then I suppose either a +P special or a .357 would work. I thought the 340PD only came in .357 though.

I have the .38 S&W Special +P version. More than enough fire power for me.

2nk2az4.jpg

It was a early pistol as I had to have one when they came out, no warning of what you can run through it on the side, could have been in the manual. I told Smith what happen, I'm sure they would have let me know if that was the case.
The warning to not use less than 120 grain bullets is on the barrel and in the owner’s manual.
521kkn.jpg

Well it's been a few days and it's not as bad as I thought. Once again it's a feather weight compared to my Glock. I prefer large hand guns but when you dress light, you want light. As for CC I do and never OC. Thanks for the feedback.